• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Phaeton. Good Horn or Good Hype?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bebopnblu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Phaeton. Good Horn or Good Hype? Reply with quote

I see alot of advertisements her and there... there's one in the banner now... advertising the Phaeton. I know Clarence plays one and hehe gives shnizzlin' reviews. Has anyone else had any experience with this horn? It's a hot looking horn and looks comfy to play but i wonder how well it plays... It doesn't seem like many have played or own the horn.

"Larger than life is just the right size."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Podunkparte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only give limited reviews as I only played it for a few minutes, but while I was searching for a new horn I had a dealer meet me so I could try them out. I have to say they are pretty good horns. It felt very solid, even with the dramatic bracing for the thumb ring and pinky hook. Blew very well, it felt pretty open to me and very comfortable. I would recomend trying one out to see how you like it if you're interested.
Lawler TL6-1A #822 -Satin silver w/ polished trim
Bach TR200 -OUCH!

Monette B6
Marcinkiewicz E14 Shew 1
Bach 3C
Schilke 14A4A
bebopnblu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on, the price hooked me so i went ahead and ordered it. Working in ecuador i don't get back and forth very often to try new things so i just had to trust Felix on this one. Thanks for the review!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own one and made the mistake of selling it. It had a nice open feel with great projection. The slides and valves were very smooth and quick. It is a very nice horn.

Mike
chassencahl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also agree that it's a nice horn - solid, fast valves with a light stroke, good intonation and projection. Mine is in the scratch lacquer finish and I must say it is, to me anyway, extraordinarily beautiful. Because the scratch brass is finished in a shiny lacquer the horn just glows, especially in low light, and has an almost internal luminosity. I think you will be pleased although you may have to experiment with mp bores to find one it likes.
bebopnblu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Reviews fellas!

I'm looking forward to recieving it. I had Felix pair it up with a new mouthpiece for me a Stage 1 Custom it's targeted to lead playing which is what this horn is primarily for. I wanted a big open blower with some lighter bracing and a lighter core something not quite as stable and centered. Maybe the bends and styling before DHC will be easier? Admittedly I stopped looking for horns.

Any other suggestions on lead horns?
Any comments on Harrelson's work?
How about Stage 1?

silveryoshii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want one!

Bach Megatone 1C/Bach3C/Bach Megatone 3C
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bebopnblu wrote:
Any other suggestions on lead horns?
Any comments on Harrelson's work?
How about Stage 1?

Check with Felix about the California Stage One light. I dont' believe it is on their website yet, but Felix says that this is thelead horn to get. I am thinking about trying one out in the near future.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
chassencahl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No quite all "fellas"
Auggy62

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI
There is a used one at Dillions in the used Bb trumpet section....not too bad of a price either.

Auggy
bebopnblu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chassencahl wrote:
No quite all "fellas"

HAHA!! Oh uhm sorry!! My mistake...

And, Hello there!

bebopnblu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingSilverSonic

Thanks! I've actually been looking at Stage 1 intensively is that the uhm HMX i've seen him advertising?

Dave Mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was lucky enough to be one of the testers for a special Phaeton that Felix passed around. the first day or so I didn'y like it, I switching back and forth between my horn and the Phaeton. I then played the Phaeton exclusively for the rest of my time and grew to really like it. after I sent it on to the next tester and went back to my horn I then realized how good the Phaeton really was. if I had the coin I would buy one in a heartbeat. Dave
Weril Cornet Lo 7535
King Master Cornet 295628
Pagetown
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selecting a horn is so much about personal preference. Once you get into the pro line of horns where you know the build quality is good you really have to play it to see for yourself whether you like it or not.

I played the Phaeton a year or so ago and didn't like it. I generally like a free blowing horn, but for me it just felt too open, inflexible and heavy. Not sure how else to describe it. It was work to play it. It was cool to look at though. For what its worth, I also hated the 8310z and found it incredibly stuffy, which a lot of other folks here seem to love. So take it for what its worth...

-JP
bebopnblu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh thanks guys!

I'm looking forward to the free blowing aspects of the horn. I plan for it to be my "brighter" lead horn. Not looking for the brightest but a very comercial horn blends better with a group. Monettes tend to stick out on stage. I like that it's supposedly extremely free. Having to fill it up really takes some of the pressure off while working up to a DHC which as you know can be brain splitting if you're playing that stuffy Yam you were talking about. Another selling point for me is the light bracing. I play a heavily braced horn and i agree with Taylor and Monette about the quality of projection. Incidentally the next Horn after this one will be a Taylor Chicago Standard or Chicago II Custom. What is it with me and heavy trumpets?

All things considered i picked the horn out on the fly and bought it on a whim... I live in Ecuador or i wouldn't ask for reviews. The other issue is that i think people want to know what trumpet players think of the horn. I'll be following up with a review myself.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: