• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

B-cup, C-cup Saga

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: B-cup, C-cup Saga Reply with quote

Every now and again I play my Laskey 50B (Bach 7BC) and love the broad, warm, and dynamic tone and free blowing nature. By now I know that it will only be a few days or a week before I'm buried inside the mouthpiece and sound thuddy. I went one month exclusively on a 7B last year and couldn't wait to get back to my C-cup and the kick I'd been missing. How can I keep my B-cup sound peppy and bright like it is in the begining? It seems like after playing the B-cups a while my embouchure changes and my lips protrude in the cup more. What kind of practice routine will train my lips to stay out of the cup? Or is it an unavoidable natural occurance?
R.A.S.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email Mark Curry (he's hard to reach on the phone) and let him help you determine which inner diameter you need. I'm not sure what would be the equivalent of your Laskey 50B, since Mark measured Mount Vernon Bachs to get his rim sizes.
He has developed "BC" rim and cup combinations that are "C" rims on "B" cups. They play well (I have his 3BC and 5BC).
I had previously experienced what you're talking about with some Bach rims on their B cups. The 3B is a very round rim (much different than the 3C), and the 1 1/2B is also a round rim (not a match for the 1 1/2C at all).
I hope this helps!
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often thought about experimenting with the 3B, but for the reasons mentioned above, I have avoided it. Especially if the rim is as round as mentioned and not similar to the 3C.
Qman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I play a GR 65lx, I think it has a B cup but to be honest I am not sure, I try not to think about that. One thing that I learned from my lesson with Stephen Burns was the concept of "Poo" attacks, doing these, I have found, I can still get a nice sparkle to my articulation, which is what i am interpreting your pep to be. If i am wrong, truly sorry!

I like medium to deep mouthpieces because I find it easier to go from warm-zing than from zing-warm, for me it has to do with how I use my air...a little info I got from Charlie Schlueter, who in my opinion is the master of color!!!!! Whoo Hooo, have a great time experimenting!!!!

Quincy
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...a little info I got from Charlie Schlueter, who in my opinion is the master of color!!!!! Whoo Hooo, have a great time experimenting!!!!

Quincy, could you explain the "Whoo Hooo" thing you mentioned, and what you learned from Charlie Schleuter in more detail please. Thanks.

Andrew
Qman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andrew

Whoo, Hoo was just an expression I was using because I think Charlie Schlueter is a beautiful trumpet player, truly an individual whether you agree with his ideas or not.

Um secondly. One thing he always stressed was the use of warm,hot air. and filling up the horn, if the air moves too fast you lose the natural resonance, those who have studied with him please help me out, I have only had a handfull oflessons and hundreds of emails!!!! But when I was playing mahler 5 for him he told me if you want more zing then just speed up the air, but you most know where and why you want more zing not to just do it.

Hope that helps, if you listen to some of his recordings I think you will know exactly what i am talking about.

Quincy
Atomlinson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quincy

I'll post a couple of quotes I've picked up from interviews with Schleuter:

"When anything goes wrong with my playing (range, endurance, response, tone) it's the air's fault"

"It's been my experience both personally and with students that all playing deficiencies can be attributed to insufficient air"

Andrew
rudas1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually a good and simple solution for you could be to try a Laskey MD cup, instead of the B cup. For me the MD has more of that C cup zing, with more depth of sound. Could be an easy way around your dillema.(?_)

Todd
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qman wrote:
I have found, I can still get a nice sparkle to my articulation, which is what i am interpreting your pep to be.

Quincy

That's what I mean....pep, sparkle, zing, etc.....It's tough to keep those things going with B-cups and the like. In fact it usually takes playing a C-cups to remind myself of that after I've been playing a long time on deep mouthpieces.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: