• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Advantage Trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bizarre detour. Also, I'm pretty sure Nate was being sarcastic. And, as per his name, a little crazy.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for a horn upgrade there are quite a few in the TH Marketplace for prices from Strads on either side of $1000, to recently built Kanstuls and Yamahas. Theres a 6310Z for just over $600 with mediocre lacquer. It is a safer place to shop than eBay - though not totally risk free.

There's even a nice Holton ST550S for reasonable $$.

Post your budget if you want more ideas. Shop around and go play-test horns in a store for the best way to find what you like.

veery
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Nate was being sarcastic. And, as per his name, a little crazy.

Well, yes. But, anyone who looks closely at the swine flu thing can tell it's a big fat hoax. Why? This is the wrong forum for that discussion. Dr. Mercola has some good info on his site.
Quote:
Now, got any advice about used Pro trumpets. I practiced on my "Advantage" last night and couldn't get your advice out of my head. I gotta get a better horn.

Depending on your budget, Kanstul, Bach Strad, Getzen (Eterna, Severinsen),Olds (Recording, Ambassador, Super). Also, a new Kanstul 700 or Custom Class may be in your budget. These are great playing horns. As well, the Getzen 700 is usually less than $1000 new. I don't know what price point the Proteus is offered at, but it was the best playing Getzen on the table at NAMM. Kanstul also made the Besson 609 & 709 (basically a 700) and the International (basically a Custom Class).
There is a Conn Vintage One on consignment at the store where I teach. I'll check it out and let you know. I think it's less than $1000.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
IPAle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Yamaha advantage etc. Reply with quote

Nate, It seems that we actually agree on the flu BS. Although I think the perps of that particular misinformation campaign involve a lot more entities than the governments involved.

Thanks for the horn advice, and I apologize for the weird segue (I do some work in the area of false advertising, so claims about country of origin are always met with cynicism). But, the FTC has nailed a lot of companies lying about this, as have customers and competitors of the lying companies.

My budgetary constraints are basically in the $1000 range, and possibly more if I can parlay a sale of the Yamaha to one of those "less savvy" individuals somebody referred to last week. So, is the best strategy to go for a deal on a used pro model, or a the best new model 1000 bucks can buy?
TGracia93

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year my school received all brand new instruments and they were all from Yamaha's Advantage line. Last year we used relatively new Yamaha 2335s. I believe the build quality on the 2335s is better than the 200ADs. I'm finding the slides aren't as great and the horn damages more easily. There is already a small dent on the side of my bell and misc. little scuffs in some places. I have been told by my trumpet coach that the tone is better, but I wouldn't know because last year I wasn't that great of a musician, but I have improved vastly since then. Both my tone and range has gotten much better so it is hard to compare. Ours' have the words "Made in China" stamped on the valve casing.
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of what county the horns are made in, my experience with Yamaha horns are that they are manufactured to extremely high standards. Their fit and finish seems to always be very consistent. When we are talking about 'student' horns, the consistency factor is extremely important, since in this realm we deal with younger players who haven't developed enough to know the difference and/or compensate for strange playing characteristics in their horn.

Going used is a great idea, but only if the buyer knows what they are looking for and can assure that they are purchasing a well-looked-after horn. In either case, the biggest frustration for any young student is often lurking in the sub-par instrument that they have to play; and they often aren't even aware of the issue.

Yamaha has a track record of consistent, well-playing horns, and has extensive and expedient customer service infrastructure right here in the USA. I don't in any way think that they are the end-all-be-all, but there is no reason to be suspect of their horns.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we've raised this thread from the days of yore, whatever happened to bandman322? He was a quality poster.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the rental programs are reasonable, but in case yours is expensive I see a lot of yamaha's in the $200 to $400 price range. I've even seen them for less, but you might have to wait for the bargain.

http://trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=15562
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
Since we've raised this thread from the days of yore, whatever happened to bandman322? He was a quality poster.

I was wondering that myself. If you remember he had some serious health issues a while back.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swinger_006 wrote:
Regardless of what county the horns are made in, my experience with Yamaha horns are that they are manufactured to extremely high standards. Their fit and finish seems to always be very consistent. When we are talking about 'student' horns, the consistency factor is extremely important, since in this realm we deal with younger players who haven't developed enough to know the difference and/or compensate for strange playing characteristics in their horn.

I agree that Yamaha has high standards with their students horns. Like their pro models, they are manufactured to high tolerances - especially the valves. They play very nicely. I simply wish that they build them more for the environment that they are used in.

I teach beginner band - so I see a lot of students and student line instrument and what many or most of them (the instruments) go through. I like how Yamaha's student horns play a great deal. They may be a bit more expensive, but if one where to simply look at playability, Yamaha would be somewhere in the top. If they are used in an environment where they are well maintained, handled with care, and used regularly they will perform admirably. However, in my mind they are simply designed too delicately for a student horn. I have spent countless hours fiddling with valves that stick and bind - often because the tight tolerances are compromised due to uneven wear, accelerated corrosion, or a susceptibility to being knocked slightly out of round. Their leadpipes also seem slightly more vulnerable to red-rot, though this is debatable.

Yamaha's student horns are not the only ones with these issues. Almost every modern student horn has some of these same problems. While the Yamaha's valve issues seem to stem unnecessarily close tolerances, the Bach's trumpets many valve problems seem to stem instead from shoddy workmanship. Indeed, almost every modern student horn seems to have disproportionate valve problems except for the Getzen horns I've encountered.

I played on a student Yamaha cornet as a beginner, and now use a 6335s as my primary trumpet. I like Yamahas and how they play. I really enjoyed my student cornet and it worked well for me. Years later, I now have some valve issues (severe ones on my 6335) with both of these instruments that I simply don't with others I own that are several decades older. I do think that if well cared for, usually Yamahas will perform well. So, despite some quirks, I'm still a fan.

I really wish that someone would design a student trumpet that was built like my Olds Ambassador - Nice sound, great reliable valves, and very tough and durable. I haven't seen a modern one that comes close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: