• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Speaking of traditions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Speaking of traditions. Reply with quote

Generally, why do commercial players rest their horns up-right on stands when not on their chops and symphony players lay them on the flat floor? Just asking.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
jazztrumpet216
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know plenty of symphony players that have trumpet stands and rest them vertically. I'm not sure I have seen anyone rest their horns on the floor to be honest with you- it's a good way to get your horn stepped on.

Of course, resting you horn vertically without a stand is a good way to damage your trumpet too.

1940 NY Bach 7/37 — 2009 Bach Philadelphia C — 1972 Bach 37/Melk #3 — 1969 Yamaha 734 — 1961 Mt. Vernon Bach 43 — 2013 Schilke P5-4 B/G — 1990's Getzen Eterna flugel
camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange topic
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do this at my son's school and I cringe when I see all the band sitting in the bleachers witht heir instruments not in the case sitting on the floor waiting for the basket ball game to get over!!!
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is necessarily a popular trend (I haven't noticed any clear separation between either commercial or orchestral players using stands or the floor, anyway), but maybe just a habit among the people you've observed. Most people I know are good about keeping stands for their horns on a gig, or at a rehearsal.

I do have one theory, though, if this is indeed commonplace. This isn't meant to be disparaging to anybody who it might potentially offend, but I've found a greater percentage of orchestral musicians to just be more responsible people. Among the players I know, and play with on a regular basis, I'm more apt to finding someone who treats their own, and others', gear less than cordially. This may be partially due to other people involved on said types of jobs, though. Off the top of my head...

In orchestral situations, there are string and woodwind players with expensive instruments, who are very often anal about humidity, temperatures, and sudden movements in cramped spaces. They're often quick to scold someone (if not aloud, then silently) for performing any non-kosher activity. I've always seen an unspoken consensus among orchestras, that everyone's gear should be treated with respect, and any issues are to generally handled with words and logic.

In the situation of commercial playing, you're dealing with a completely different mindset of the people on/around the stage. Guitar players are reckless, as are drummers. I'm not going to sugar-coat that in any way. They're not as meticulous about upkeep on their instruments as, say, oboe players. Them out of mind, there's the sound guy. It's often that they don't understand an XLR cable can dent something, if it's whipped around. If something's in their way when they're setting up, they'll move it. This is fine for item like music stands, and stuff made to take a little abuse, but the sound guy will almost never have experience with wind instruments. On more than one occasion, I've seen a sound guy knock over a Selmer Mark VI, pick it up, and choose to put it on a chair, rather than the stand it was on when their clothing caught it, and pulled it off its mount.

Stands allow for quicker access to your horn, in the event you might need to pick it up. I played a gig the other night, where the drummer brought his 2 year old son. The kid was cute, until he knocked over an upright bass, which would've totaled my horn if I wasn't there to pull it out of harm's way. Keeping with tradition, though, the bass player was completely fine with it.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not paid much attention lately and in the community orchestra I sub in the trpts use upright stands. But in the past, I've noticed that an extra trpt would be laid down beside the player or at the his feet, usually on a padded cloth and I've always wondered why. I never asked anyone. Some may think a stand could damage their bell? Maybe they couldn't afford a stand.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to kill sacred cows! I think it's a mistake to turn your back on a horn on a stand. If someone can figure out a way to damage my axe while it's in my lap or in my arms or in my hands, then I've got bigger problems than a trumpet. If I don't like the above ideas it should be in it's case. I also keep a cheap but playable instrument around for venues that may be prone to get a little rough and tumble, mainly to relieve the stress.
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - I wondered about that also. the few times that I went to the Indy Symphony I noticed that the trumpet players that I could see put the horn that they were not using on the floor. Just thought that maybe the conductor forbid stands in case of the event that if you accidently knocked over your horn it would make a noise. It is the only thing my little brain could come up with.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good friend who's mainly a symphony type, and I've been amazed at how he lays his horns on the floor anytime we have a gig together. Sometimes, in quintet performance for example, it's pretty safe, but on stage at a big band gig??? It creepes me out, man...

Another friend gave him a K&M stand a few months ago and he actually uses it from time to time. I saw a percussionist try to give him an unclaimed one (from a pit gig) a couple years ago and he turned it down, though. He didn't have to ask me twice if I wanted the free stand.
operagost
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should invent a shoulder scabbard for trumpet players. You'll really feel like "He-Man" when you sling your Connstellation out of one of those!
Gene
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commercial players are more likely to be able to afford a stand....

(The debil made me do it... )
Yamaha 9830 Pic
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a stand that is affixed or can be to the player's chair. Separate stands have the tendency to move toward the chair (the universal force of gravity) and horn against chair is a potentially expensive collision. One can also kick one's horn whilst in a stand - less likely if it is some how connected to the chair.

v
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the even distribution of water in the horizontally rested horn helps the symphony players achieve that orchestral sound. This could be due to slightly different velocity of sound or differently structured overtones produced by the condensation layered thusly. The commercial player's vertically rested horn allows peeling of the condensation down to the water key for quick dumping, followed by similar peeling of paint due to liberation of upper partials.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: