• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jupiter 846RL or Yamaha 631/731 Flugelhorn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archie Sawyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batsomh,
Thanks for your advice. I have owned several different flugelhorns before but they've mostly been of the darker sounding variety. I thought I would like to try something on the lighter side. I've played some that were very free and not stuffy above the staff and some the opposite. I'll make a comment on this posting about my experiences with the Jupiter after it arrives and I've had time to play it. As far as the mouthpiece goes, I do already own a nice GR Flugelhorn mouthpiece, so I'm all set in that department.
If the Jupiter doesn't work out, I'll try the Yamaha models.
I appreciate the responses received thus far. Thanks!

Archie
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
I played Yamaha trumpets for about 10 years. I have gotten to the point that I just HATE Yammie valves. I have quite a few friends who play Yammies and they all have valve problems. I played both the Jupiter and Yamaha flugels last summer. I thought the 846RL Jupiter was an awesome horn. It was very resonant sounding and had a very even scale. (for a flugel) A friend of mine, Jim Manley is a full time pro in St. Louis. He got a Jupiter about a year ago and is quite happy with it. I didn't buy it because I like a really dark sound. Every flugel I played last summer was too bright to suit me.

Hey, Mike --

As you may know, I work on horns. Yamaha is/was aware of the "valve-problem", primarily with the early 3-digit horns. They issued a service-bulletin, addressing the problem (sent out to NAPBIRT techs). The "cure" is to counter-bore the very upper and very lower areas of the valve casings, to achieve this effect: )(. Obviously, a simplified exaggeration, but you get the point. BTW -- I honed the areas, instead of using a drill-press. Much easier, and effective.

Archie --

You know my background; hopefully I have some creedence. Even though I don't play either of the aforementioned horns you are considering (I play a vintage F. Besson - Paris), go for the Yamaha.

Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Robert. I've been a repairman for over 30 years. I no longer work full time, but have a part time shop that is about to drive me nuts. I need to cut back on the amount of work I am doing.

Yamaha claimed for a while that the problem was in a jig that held the horn while it was being assembled. Said it squeezed the 1st and 3rd casings too hard. Then the thing about counterboring. I just flat out don't like the feel of any of their valves, new or old. Really, I'm getting to the point that I don't like any monel valves. I prefer nickel or stainless.. A friend of mine is a studio trumpet player in Nashville. He's got a new Xeno and he's always complaining about the valves. Jupiter has had valve problems too. They are replacing any bad valves you have with nickel at no charge. I respect them for admitting they had a problem and doing something about it.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I was play a Jupiter and my vintage 1971 Yamaha 731 is far better , as for the trigger you cant buy one for $70 plus $30 for the repair job and thats it , now the Yamaha valves is not the best like the Getzen but if you oil them often is not that bad , my oppinion is the 731/631 models is some of the more successfully flugels in the world market and have that unike bore size "not to big and not that small" .
Thats my oppinion.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, if you're interested in the Jupiter 846RL with the third valve trigger-- they are about 200 bucks cheaper at Chuck Levin's Washington Music than the price you see at Brasswind (wwbw.com). I won't presume to quote them, you can call them yourself (but you do the math!). There's a lot of nice flugels out there to say the least-- iffin' you want to spend big bucks for an instrument that generally gets much less use than you might hope. Compared to the Yamaha 631G (from which this model is copied) the Yamaha is probably superior but the Jupiter suits my needs just fine. Arturo I'm not. It plays quite well and again, is a true bargain at what they're going for at Chuck Levin's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: