• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My LA Olds Ambassador Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: My LA Olds Ambassador Cornet Reply with quote

I don't know what it is...but I have got to say that my LA Olds Ambassador cornet has outplayed every other cornet I have played.
Now honestly I haven't tried any horn above intermediate but I can tell by the way it slots and feels..that it's playing like a pro horn..(comparing to my trumpets) and my chops are so lame right now.

Oh and...I was wondering about perhaps comparing it to a decent used pro cornet but I really can't afford much more than maybe 200-300 bucks.

Anyone else have this experience? Please share any ideas.

THANKS
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Olds and get the valve alignment checked and you're probably good to go, those are perfectly serviceable horns and they're built to last. (I just bought one off eBay as a fixer-upper for $31.)
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from a totally unbised stance I agree

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Keep your Ambassador. I played my L.A. against a very nice Fullerton Recording and did not feel I had an inferior horn in any way.

Cheers,

Brian
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but an Olds Ambassador cornet does not compare well to a good, modern pro cornet. Sure, they're good horns, but if you try a top line Bach, Getzen, Kanstul, Yamaha, Benge, Besson, etc., you will see what I'm talking about. Better intonation, ease of playing, better slotting, easier upper range, and so on. I know - I played a '49 L.A. Ambassador cornet for years (in great condition, I might add), and when I joined a brass band and tried some of the other guys' cornets, I saw the light. Bought a Bach 184G (a GREAT cornet), sold the Olds, and never looked back.

This Ambassador debate surfaces from time to time, and after owning both an L.A. cornet and trumpet, I don't get the fascination with them. A great horn for a middle school player, and a good high school marching horn, but as good as a pro horn? No, not without some serious mods.
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: L.A. Ambassador cornets Reply with quote

I too own an L.A. Ambassador cornet and a VERY SIMILAR L.A. Olds Special cornet. My complaint on both of them is the lack of a tune on the fly third valve slide. They are both out of tune on a few notes that could be corrected with a third valve slide ring on a tunable slide. I also have a later Fullerton Ambassador cornet that has this problem solved. I like the Fullerton horn far better in many ways. Among the ways is a standard mouthpiece reciever which will accept most any cornet mouthpiece, not just the oversized shank Olds 3 that came with each of my L.A. cornets.

OLDLOU>>
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say, as has been suggested, try some others and A/B your LA Olds. I have had close to 40 Olds Ambassador cornets and trumpets pass through my hands in the past 3 years, all as part of a beginner band resale, and have had everything from parts horns to almost pristine condition.

The cornets are very consistent, and a dream situation would be a section made up entirely of them. They are very easy for beginners to hold, and create a good rich sound. They are very forgiving on slots, and I believe help a new player with ear training. I can also see where an accomplished player would outgrow one pretty quickly without doing some modifications, such as the aforementioned 3 slide throw. I love the sound they have, so traditional with so little effort.

For the money, there is no better bang for the buck on ebay due to the huge numbers of these out there and the excellent build.

The trumpets are the perfect beginner trumpet. I have one '48 LA in raw brass that my son plays, due to the fact he NEVER practices, that allows him to hold down a 3rd part (when he bothers to show up for rehersal) in the junior college jazz band. I find it too tight and bright for me, but the sound in my head is that of a cornet, not a trumpet, so that is my natural bias.
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got outbid on this one.........
Here's the horn

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&item=330034195581&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

I've seen 'em go for over $700.00...but where's the thumb saddle?
Were they not made back in 1972 for that model?
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: