• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need help/suggestions picking first flug. Thanks

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Need help/suggestions picking first flug. Thanks Reply with quote

Guys, until recently, I've never spent any significant amount of time on a flug, but have recently been inflicted with the addiction.

Anyway, I have no clue where to start. Played a friend's Kanstul 1525. The Eb was a bit squirrely, but it seemed like a nice horn. Again, without anything to compare it to, I have no clue what to look for.

Others have recommended:

Conn Vintage One
Kanstul Custom Class
Shew
Eclipse

Due to its price only, I'm leaning away from the Eclipse because I'd rather stick with a mainstream horn in case this becomes a passing affair with me.

Given that, would you start off with a used, lesser, yet respected model for the honeymoon, then later step up to a higher end unit, or just go for one of the top models? Any suggestions in either category would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have no clue about all the features, simply played one for 30-45 minutes, thoroughly enjoying myself and realized I need to get one.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Victor Lopez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Conn Vintage One trumpet, but the flugel just didn't do it for me. I'm sure you could find some nice flugles by kanstul and taylor trumpets for a higher price, but I like the Arturo Sandoval model by Holton/Leblanc.
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In June 2006, based upon good experiences with the Olds trumpet that I began my comeback on, I ordered an Olds NF13MRT flugel. On advice from an experienced flugelist who frequents the TH boards I have been patient in acclimating to the diffrences between playing trumpet and flugel. One thing that Dan O. touched upon that I have not experienced with the Olds NF13MRT is intonation problems with notes using 1st and/or 3rd valves. Using the 3FL mpc that came with the horn it has a beautiful, almost velvety tone, such that the pianist at my church asked me if it was a cross between a trumpet and a french horn. Using my Monette B4S, it to me it sounds very "Chuck Mangione-ish".

I know this horn isn't established as a "favorite", and I'm sure the other brands that you mentioned are all great, each in its own respect. I just think that while you're shopping it would be a good idea to give the Olds pro model flugel some consideration. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at what the Olds NF13MRT offers for the money.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Need help/suggestions picking first flug. Thanks Reply with quote

_Daff wrote:
Given that, would you start off with a used, lesser, yet respected model for the honeymoon, then later step up to a higher end unit, or just go for one of the top models? Any suggestions in either category would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. The flugelhorn variation is much greater than the equivalent for trumpets, and until you gain experience, you won't really know what you want. Some play more like trumpets, others less so - I would suggest that all the ones on your list are in the second category. Some sound more trombony, others lighter and "fluffier".

The most middle-of-the-road in all categories is probably the Yamaha 631/731. (The Jupiter is a clone of this) I don't really care for it myself, but even so, I recognize it as a good start. Buying it used and selling it for almost what you paid for it might keep you for buying a horn that doesn't suit you.

That said, I love my Vintage One, and if you decide to buy an Eclipse and don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for you.
batsomh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shew is the best flugel I have played on the current market. How much are you willing to spend?

Shews usually go for about $1200 used and $1700 new.

I would still HIGHLY recommend you go to a music shop and try out as many different brands as you can, even the "lower" ones like Jupiter and Blessing; you never know how good it might be! I chose my Jupiter over the Shew because the differences were only slight for me and I could not justify spending twice the money for it.

Oh and one last note: if/when you do get a flugel, GET ONE WITH A TRIGGER!!! Seriously, even if you think it's not a big issue, you WILL regret it later on... as a bunch of my classmates at college have.
-Schilke P5-4 Piccolo Trumpet (Bach 10.5 E)
-Jupiter 846RL Flugelhorn (Curry 3 FL)
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Kanstul & think it is great. IMO, your choice in flugels may depend on whether you intend to be an occasional doubler or get more serious about playing flugel. I think the Shew is the perfect horn for the doubler because it feels very easy to switch back and forth.

Getzen still makes a very nice horn. I also recently played a used Blessing 4-valve that played like a dream. A new Blessing is very reasonable.

Play a bunch of them - you'll probably figure out pretty quickly which one feels and works best for you.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha 2310 that is really more a doubler's flugel, for those who play more trumpet than anything else. The good news is, it is an easy transition and does not seem plagued with all the intonation issues so many comment on. The bad news is, the sound is just kind of like a really dark trumpet. It does get a richer sound, but will get very bright no matter what mouthpiece I use (yes, even with a Wick!!) when you step on the volume.

If you decide to go the entry level route, this is a good one for that. Many here have posted about the Jupiters, and the money would be about the same for new, so you would want to check that out as well.

Good luck!
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

batsomh wrote:
I would still HIGHLY recommend you go to a music shop and try out as many different brands as you can, even the "lower" ones like Jupiter and Blessing; you never know how good it might be! I chose my Jupiter over the Shew because the differences were only slight for me and I could not justify spending twice the money for it.

Oh and one last note: if/when you do get a flugel, GET ONE WITH A TRIGGER!!! Seriously, even if you think it's not a big issue, you WILL regret it later on... as a bunch of my classmates at college have.

Agreed all the way around!

FWIW, I play a pre-owned YFL 631 which I really like and highly recommend.

A lot depends on the sound you want out of a flugel. For my tastes, the Kanstul 1525 is too dark and "tombonish", although you'll find that a lot of folks who post on TH really like them. It's very much a matter of taste which flugel is best for you.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just chiming in to thank you all for your input so far.

You guys are the bomb!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See? Clear as mud.

Lots of good and bad advice mixed in here. Just trust your instincts and don't overpay and you'll be ok.

Dave
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I found this GREAT article on the topic. http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/Flugelhorn%20Guide.html
Thought I'd post it here for anyone else that stumbles into this thread.

Thanks again for your input.

(..... and Tom, when I ship that Eclipse to you, can I throw in a box of Swiss chocolates and the keys to the Bimmer? )

mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you buy a horn, try to get an opportunity to play a Getzen and a Jupiter 846RL. A lot of people overlook the Jupiter, but it is a really nice horn.
trumper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try the Conn 85F, if you can find one as it's no longer produced, or its clone the King 2020 which I understand is still in the Conn-Selmer lineup. Some 85F marketing/sales literature describes it as the precursor to the Vintage One. That's a bit of a stretch in my opinion but it's a solid flugel. Has 1st and 3rd valve triggers. Just another option to consider but I agree with several of the previous posts.
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being someone that only plays a flugel a few times a month on big band jobs, I personally opted to buy a Blessing. I own the Blessing Rose Bell Model with the trigger. I find it to meet my needs nicely. I do want to preface things with the fact that you will need to purchase a quality mouthpiece to make this flugel a bit more stable. Intonation can be somewhat quirky, but none the less for my needs it mets them.....
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the early stages of considering a flugelhorn. I have done as much research as I can on the Lawler. Those who have played the Lawler give it pretty high marks. A little bit pricey, $1,950 in raw brass, but you get what you pay for.

A friend of mine is a pro player and he plays a used Jupiter that he is very satisfied with.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
mark schorah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the money then id have to say the eclipse, ive played lots of eclipse flugels and each ones been amazing. They are by far the most 'trumpet' friendly flugel ive ever played, i just picked one up and instantly had that sound id always wanted.

I just wish i had the money and was able to play flugel enough to warrent having one, it would spend to much time in a box and it would be a waste on the poor thing!!

Mark
Robert Rowe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ....

Some good advice here ... some not-so-good, also.

Where are you located? Get yourself to a large music store, hopefully with a varied selection of Fluegs ... and give 'em "a blow". (BTW -- there is also the "mouthpiece-factor" rearing it's ugly head, as well).

In the absence of a close music store with horns, try some horn-playing colleagues, and hit 'em up for a try on their axes.

That "Dallas GearHead" excerp is relevent.

I've "played 'em all", and am sticking with my vintage F. Besson (Paris). Most posters here have no clue what this horn does .... "Let them eat cake". -- (Marie Antoinette)

Robt

I miss Genghis Khan ....
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to disagree with Mark Schorah.

First, I really really like the Eclipse. I wish I had one.

However, I wouldn't drop that much cash on a flugelhorn until I was quite certain of what I wanted. If it turned out I wanted a flugelhorn that has a very trumpet-like blow, a very tromboney sound, and could easily cut through a big band, the Eclipse would be a very poor fit.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, thanks again for the tips.

Not sure I can justify popping for the Eclipse unless I was committed to playing it quite frequently. Played one at ITG Denver and they're nice, but the exchange rate just makes their ultimate price silly. The Brits are certainly proud of their sterling , but on a level economic playing field, the Eclipse wouldn't check in at nearly double the price of the other top models. They're certainly very nice, perhaps the best, but in my mind as a hobbyist, not twice the value of top-liners.

Will take my time making the way through those with the best reputation. A friend has the Kanstul 1525, the unit that got me thinking about grabbing one for myself. I sounded like silk on that thing (masked all my flaws). Nice horn. Now have a Kanstul Custom Class to compare with it. At first blush, it plays more like a pregnant cornet compared to the 1525. Its bell is brass, whereas the 1525 is copper. Unfair to opine on these as it's not an apples-to-apples scenario. Would be interesting to compare these two, both with copper bells.

I'll experiment with the two Kanstuls, picking my favorite of the two, then mosey over to Kessler's to maybe borrow his Conn V One for a few days, etc., just taking things slowly. Hate to abruptly jump into a flug until the infatuation subsides a tad. I'm in that dangerous "ooh lah lah" mode, too soon to tell if it's a passing fancy.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's any way you can have a good selection of mpcs it's very critical on flugel. Not only can the shank requirements vary, but the backbore can be very influential. For instance, that V1 will work very well with a GR66FD, but with a GR66FL the attacks will not be as clear and the tone will not be as full. I think that mpc match is way more critical with flugel than with trumpet.

BTW, about half of us think that Custom Class flugel gives the most flugel-like tone of the Kanstuls and the 1525 sounds more like a trombone puppy. I don't think it's the copper, but more the giant bell flare and leadpipe balance. I think that brass is the best flugel material, but that's just my personal preference. There are two clear camps on flugel sound.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: