• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wick Flugelhorn Mouthpieces

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daniel76309

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: Wick Flugelhorn Mouthpieces Reply with quote

I have a small collection of flugelhorn mouthpieces, the most recent purchase being a Wick 2FL. This is the first for me from the Wick line, and what is striking to me is that the shank is significantly shorter than the others I have, ranging from 1/4" to 1/2" difference. It fits the lead pipe just fine. Does anyone have opinions about what effect the shank length would have?
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of the sound? When I've tried the Wicks in a flugelhorn, it sounded more like a trombone, with a very solid core but no warmth. Maybe that is the British sound concept?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's understood that certain combinations of throat and backbores require shortening the overall length to preserve intonation. Assuming you have a horn with a large Morris taper mouth pipe and the mouthpiece fits well, I wouldn't worry about the overall length.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which taper you need depends upon the specific model Flugel (and leadpipe option, if applicable) that you are using.

Large Morse (or standard) is common for Yamaha and others. There is also a 'french taper' that is not really tapered at all. I tried Wick flugel pieces (briefly) in several sizes/cups/tapers for two different leadpipes.

In the end, I had the same issue with them I do with the Wick cornet pieces. They sound like what is commonly expected in a brass band, but I can not get along with the rim profiles on them at all.

What might be ideal (for me) would be a Wick underpart (for cornet or flugel) with a Curry 3(dot) rim screwed on top. I have not worried about it enough to invest in that experiment though.

Your mileage may vary.
daniel76309

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Large taper is definitely correct, and it does fit the horn. I have not evaluated it enough yet to decide whether I like it or not, but I was just initially kind of surprised at it being shorter than my other mouthpieces.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daniel76309 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Large taper is definitely correct, and it does fit the horn. I have not evaluated it enough yet to decide whether I like it or not, but I was just initially kind of surprised at it being shorter than my other mouthpieces.

I have played a Denis Wick 2FL for years as my main flugel mpc. A teacher had recommended it to me to use on my Yamaha 631 to play the Peaselee "Nightsongs" solo for a graduate recital. I've used the 2FL since on several other large Morse taper flugelhorns. I actually like the sound I get with it, but I believe those that find it to be too much toward a British brass band sound and that that is not cool for them (although I don't hear that in my sound).

For certain flugelhorns (with large Morse tapers), I have had intonation challenges with this mpc, so as I've switched to other flugels, I've also experimented with other mpcs, of course. I, too, have noticed how short the shank is in comparison to other flugel mpcs, but I don’t find that to be an issue, yet I can see it could cause concern. Interestingly, the three mpcs I have been using for the past 18 months all have the shank same length(!): Wick 2 FL, 3 FL, and Flip Oakes WT X 1.5 (Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme)…but I do have to adjust the resting tuning position for each. I also like my Curry 2FLD-Y, which does have more of a traditional flugel shank length, about a ⅜”-longer shank than the other three listed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: