• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who's the oldest player on TH ??

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J. Wigdahl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Who's the oldest player on TH ?? Reply with quote

Silly question, I know, but as a 49 year-old comeback player I'd like to get a sense of how much longer I can expect to play, and play well. Also, what aspects of playing will become more difficult as I grow older and in what ways might my playing at 85 surpass my playing at 25?? Thanks for your time and thoughts.
JW
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, son, you're still a kid yet! But to answer your original question-
It's gotta be either Dale Proctor(aka- Ambassador Cop) or that kid with the Monette: McBugle! !
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Who's the oldest player on TH ?? Reply with quote

J. Wigdahl wrote:
Also, what aspects of playing will become more difficult as I grow older and in what ways might my playing at 85 surpass my playing at 25?? Thanks for your time and thoughts.
JW

The horn will feel like it's becoming heavier and you'll drool more! Also, make sure your wheelchair brake's on!
If you can, get ahold of Lawrence Welk and buy all the Geritol you can! !

Yo, son, just kiddin' witcha! Have fun and enjoy every second you can on yer horn! It might be your last! !

Naw, son, really now- JUST KIDDIN'...............................................................................................................................................................SORTA! !
JakeUND
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only 19, but some days after staying out late, doing things and whatever, I feel like I'm 119, haha. Maybe it's not that bad, but on to your question. Doc Severinsen(not a trumpetherald user, I don't think so anyway) is playing more than amazing well into his 70's. I've heard he works out and stuff to keep in shape, but if that's what you'd have to do, to be able to play trumpet, I know I'd do it. It depends how you take care of yourself. I know that Mr. Jerome Callet is also of a greater age, 70-80 I believe, and I've heard of him playing notes up in the Triple High range. It depends on how bad you want to be playing. If you really really love doing something, you'll do anything to keep on doing it.

Sincerely,
jake
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Oldest member Reply with quote

I don't know about here, but, in the two community bands that I play in I am the oldest player in each at age seventy.

OLDLOU>>
dwindham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest member Reply with quote

oldlou wrote:
I don't know about here, but, in the two community bands that I play in I am the oldest player in each at age seventy.

OLDLOU>>

We've got a 70yr old in my community band trumpet section too.

I'm on the younger side for the community band @ 30

Heck my cornet is older than I am

1939 Holton Revelation Model 45
1985 Bach 37 Strad
1984 Yamaha 6335S
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swordfishtrombone wrote:
....But to answer your original question-
It's gotta be either Dale Proctor(aka- Ambassador Cop)....

Hey, I'm not that old! I'm 54 and feeling about 80 after playing two 3-hour big band gigs this past weekend. Whew!!
BIGBUSHI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Longevity Reply with quote

I play in a big band with an old pro in his eighties. We split the lead part and he does all the improvisation. He can play a G over high C all night long. He is flat out amazing and fearless! I'm a 48 year old comeback player and having the time of my life. Go for it.
Brasspire C Trumpet
YouSellingYou.com
Online Reputation Management
petere
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local New Horizon Band has a couple guys in their mid 80s who enjoy telling hilarious WW II stories between sets. Back in 44, one of these trumpet players drank so much french wine that he could not stand up, then got court martialed, and had to clean the latrines for a week. Its hard to play trumpet when you're laughing.

petere
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldlou has me beat by ten years, but I play beside a gentlemen in two community bands who just had his 86th birthday. He's been playing regularly for over 63 years. When people ask him why he practices, he tells them that if he doesn't, his lip goes away in a hurry. The prof. who teaches trumpet and directs the jazz ensemble that I play in at our local university is within a few months of my age. He says that if he doesn't practice for one day, he knows it....two days and the guy in the next chair knows it, and three days...the director of the philharmonic orchestra he plays in knows it. Now, at three years and three months into my comeback I'm not as good as I was when I was 15, and the way things are going I may never enjoy that level of proficiency again, but I'm having lots of fun giving it my best shot.

Blessing ML-1S
Olds Special NA 100ZU
Holton Collegiate cornet (circa 1953)
Olds NF13MRT Flugel
Monette STC1-B4S
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
swordfishtrombone wrote:
....But to answer your original question-
It's gotta be either Dale Proctor(aka- Ambassador Cop)....

Hey, I'm not that old! I'm 54 and feeling about 80

Yeah, me too, Dale!...... We're from the same time period. You know, it just dawned on me!....... It's gotta be that Bach just suckin' the life outta y'all!
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Oldest member Reply with quote

oldlou wrote:

Hell, oldlou, you ain't old yet!...................YOU'RE ANCIENT!
swordfishtrombone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpeter58 wrote:
..... but I'm having lots of fun giving it my best shot.

There it is there, Trumpeter58!
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, ole buddy. Remember me from rmmt and rmmgj? This is Dave, now in Denver, but formerly in Dallas.

I'm almost 59 and playing trumpet as well as ever.

I played in the Dallas Christian Jazz Band that had (has?) a lead player in his late 80s (Vaughn Sinclair) that played lead with Les Brown, Radio City Music hall, etc. then became a dentist, retired from that and came back stronger than ever.

Are you still playing guitar also? I am. I write reviews for Just Jazz Guitar and slowly better. (I'll always be better on trumpet, but guitar is great fun).

Dave
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice none of the ladies have stepped to the plate!

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I guess we're just outclassed (out-aged?) by all the oldsters on here.
beartrumpet74
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would submit that none of these people are old just "Vintage" like most of the horns people talk about on TH
Best
Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beartrumpet74 wrote:
I would submit that none of these people are old just "Vintage" like most of the horns people talk about on TH
Best
Matt

Or, would it be better said that we are like fine vintage wine, getting better as we grow older?

OLDLOU>>
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing I notice is that my face gets a lot redder and sometimes I lose a little urine into my pants.
oldlou
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Getting older Reply with quote

My face also gets rather ruddy, but, what used to happen in my pants doesn't seem to quite as readily any more. I am NOT talking about losing urine in there.

OLDLOU>>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: