• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thein

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blake
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Thein Reply with quote

What are your opinions on these horns? I have spoken to a few people about these horns and they all say that Thein makes the best piccs--hands down. What do you guys think about their piccs, Bb and C horns as well?
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a picc and a C. They were both really god instruments. Personally I like my P5-4 better than the Thein that I played, but my Schilke is awesome. That being said, it was the third best picc I have ever played.

The C was really good. Even, smooth, easy to play. It was very easy to change colors as I pleased. Great.

A little expensive, but definately great horns. I m looking forward to trying thier German picc once I can get my hands on one.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
.....Thein.....I m looking forward to trying thier German picc once I can get my hands on one.

Hi Joe,
I have to be careful here, but I don't think they make a German (rotary-) piccolo (yet). At least I never heard of one. Please correct me if I'm wrong, 'cause I'd love to try it if they have one!!!

Blake:
FWIW personally I know Thein as one of the top C & Bb rotary-trumpet brands. Very well built, great pitch, really fabulous sound (soundwise they are amongst the very best on the market!) etc., though IMHO maybe not the easiest trumpets if you have to swap a lot between piston- and rotary trumpets. But that's very personal and you'd have to try yourself.
Regarding their piccolo trumpets and piston valve trumpets, I only hear and read (on German "Trompetenforum") VERY positive stories about them (especially about the piccolo) but unfortunatelly I haven't played them yet.

Sorry not much of a help, but it's a start,
Best regards,
Maarten.
camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a couple of Thein horns, and I didn't like them so much. a little overpriced
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten,

They have it listed on thier website as coming soon. So I assume that they are starting making one.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
Maarten,

They have it listed on thier website as coming soon. So I assume that they are starting making one.

Great!
Next year I'll probably be "in the market" for a rotary piccolo. I'll surely want to try theirs.
Thanks for correcting me.

Yours,
Maarten.
lionking
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice buildt instruments!
But a new one would cost you about 6000-7000 US$

And I prefer the sound on Lechner or Schagerl trumpets...
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? According to the webste it would cost 4730 USD for a new German pic?
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few of these very high end (meaning expensive) brands out of Europe that are little known, at least here in the States. I'm sure they are very good but unless you were to visit the respective shops virtually impossible to find. A couple of other "rare" brands such as Thien are Amrein-- I played one of these and it was very nice-- a huge bell and very well made. Another rarity is Haagston. I currently have a Haagston "Los Angeles" complete with the hand hammered bell getting a "once over" by Charlie Melk. It shows a lot of promise... new they are around $3800. The Amreins are even more expensive-- no wonder they don't get a lot of press (at least stateside). Somewhat better known are Straub and Hub van Laar and they are also by all accounts very good horns (I had a van Laar 5B for a few months and it was top notch). Neat stuff!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Thein Reply with quote

Blake wrote:
What are your opinions on these horns? I have spoken to a few people about these horns and they all say that Thein makes the best piccs--hands down. What do you guys think about their piccs, Bb and C horns as well?

I have an Eb/C (can play in D as well) that I picked up off Ebay... . It's their MH series 4 valve, sort of like a Schilke E3L-4.

Having used it in battle a couple of times now, the C side is pretty awesome. The bell I have is much lkie a traditional German bell flair and is very big at the business end. It's a mediumish bore, if you look arounf the valve cluster, and weighs a ton, due to the 4th valve and tubing.

Sitting in the driver's chair, it feels quite bright, wth not very m uch feedback while playing. out front, it's a big phat (the only term I can think of) and not a C trumpet sound for those who like Bachs and skwarky things like that. (Yeah, but I'm biased)

The section felt it was a great sound, had no issues with pitch, blending volume, etc. Me happy, 'cause I can get a good bounce back the rear wall of our auditorium...

The Eb side sounds like a trumpet, and the stability of pitch blows my old Schilke out of the water. Just wonderful.

The only downside is they are expensive. But everyone needs one on the wall...
DrDave
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold Andy the Thein Eb/D that he mentions above. Glad it is working out. I liked the horn, but it felt a bit too big for me. I now have a Blackburn, which suits me better, but does remind me of the Thein in terms of the open blow and relatively large bell. The sound of both horns on the Eb side is similar.

I still have a Thein Pic that I am very happy with. The P5-4 sits on the shelf while the Thein gets played. It is more open than the Schilke and sweeter sounding, with great pitch. The trombone and horn players at our concert today actually both commented on how nice it sounded. Expensive, but a very nice Pic.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a few of the Thein models and they are definitely instruments that people should consider when looking for new top level instruments, especially the piccolo.
Purely personally I didn't find the piccolo to my taste, but that is purely down to opinion - I would still take it over the vast majority of piccolos out there (Schilke especially), but there are still a couple I would rank as preferable (for me).
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrDave wrote:
I sold Andy the Thein Eb/D that he mentions above. Glad it is working out. I liked the horn... <snip>

I still have a Thein Pic that I am very happy with.

I can see a Vivaldi or similar... There needs to be a SPUMS conference here in Sydney for you to come to!
bvoelz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More free-blowing than a Schilke
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is because an eleven years time gap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: