• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Georgia Schools

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickyboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Uga is probaly the #1 band in Georgia but i want to know if there are any other really good collages for marching band in georgia (plz dont say ga tech i dont wanna go there)
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I know you had talked about UGA in your previous post, but if you want to study trumpet and not just do marching band, it will be hard to beat Freddie Mills... if he still teaches at UGA, which I'm pretty sure he still does. In case you don't know who Freddie Mills is, he's the former principal trumpet of the Canadian Brass. He's a monster trumpet player!!!!!!
JRoyal
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by JRoyal on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Redhothorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Georgia Southern University (Statesboro, Georgia). I gradauted from there many moons ago; however, the School has grown like crazy since winning five AA National Football Championships; they just built a brand new fine arts complex and last I heard one of the trumpet professors came from North Texas State. I am sure that the Marching Band is solid. Troy State University (just across the Alabama border also has a fine Music Program.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Dr. Bill Schmid, professor of trumpet at Georgia Southern is a really fine teacher AND active trumpeter. Just as important to me, as father of a trumpet-playing son who won a scholarship and studied with him there, Bill is a really fine Christian man too!

He earned his MME in Jazz Padagogy at N. Texas (not a bad school!), then also receieved his DMA there also (in trumpet performance).

Bill also heads the Jazz program at "Southern." This guy is a well rounded performer who can do the legit stuff beautifully AND can teach a player how to play jazz and pop too. Serious chops. That's a very rare combination indeed.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
wcbennett3

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a graduate of the music school at UGA, I would certainly recommend it. And, it is not exactly true or fair to say that you won't study with Fred Mills unless you're already good. You may study with a graduate student for a year or two (and there are usually 3-5, maybe 6 graduate students, not enough to totally dominate the scene in Athens), but if you make steady improvement and are serious about the trumpet, you can study with Mills or Dr. Sandor, also professor of trumpet at UGA.

I studied with a doctoral student for two years and then 2 1/2 years with Mills. You can too.
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend Richard Rulli at Columbus State, who I used to study with, but I recently heard a rumor that he might have accepted another job for next year. I still have to email him to find out.

Tom, it's just as important as being a good teacher that the guy be a christian? That is seriously messed up. Why would that even come up in a lesson? I have no idea what religion any of my former teachers are.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as marching bands go, I don't know of any that are close in size or sound to the UGA band in the state of GA. Marching band might not be the best criteria to use when considering where to get your education...unless you are going to major in music education, in which case the experience of a good marching band program will be beneficial for teaching High School.

If you want a good trumpet teacher as a music major, I will recommend Ga State in Atlanta. In addition to a nice new facility, they just added a monster local player, Kevin Lyons, to the faculty for next year, and believe me, he is one MOTHER of a player and teacher. Very down to earth as well...he loves to hang out. I heard him do a Tony Plog concerto with the Ga State Brass Ensemble, and it was breathtaking! He performed it again as guest soloist with Fred Mill's group at UGA, but I didn't make that one. He and Fred are pretty close as well from what I understand, so if you happen to need a stepping stone to UGA, this would be a good one!

Best of Luck!

Paul Poovey

[ This Message was edited by: AverageJoe on 2003-05-21 12:34 ]
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, it's just as important as being a good teacher that the guy be a christian? That is seriously messed up. Why would that even come up in a lesson? I have no idea what religion any of my former teachers are. [/quote]

Hi,

That's a fair question for you to ask.

When my son was seeking colleges to pursue his musical dreams, Dr. Schmid was recommended highly to me by a dear band director friend of mine . . . and that was what he told me (about Dr. Schmid being a strong family man and a fine Christian as well as a fine teacher).

Since my son and I are Christians, this meant something to us. Additionally, as a father, it was reassuring to know that my son would be studying with a man with a reputation as being a decent, God-fearing man. I posted what I did in hopes that this might mean something to someone who is a Christian and desires to study with someone who is hopefully solid in this area.

I surely wouldn't expect this instructor to "force" his beliefs on others and I'm sure he doesn't. Doing this would not be "PC" . . .

However, to me its a plus to know . . . or to at least feel . . . that there is a fine trumpet instructor in Georgia who shares the beliefs of my family and myself.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I agree with your viewpoint 100%.

I was at NTSU at the same time as Bill, and I remember that everything about him was impeccable . . . and he was probably the most envied player at the time. He could do it all, beautiful legit player, innovative jazz player, real chops. And the nicest guy you could ever want to meet. Clean cut . . . the total opposite of me at that time, actually.

Based on what I know of Bill, I would also endorse going to Statesboro to study with him.

Rich
richwharton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider the Georgia State University School of Music in Atlanta, no marching band! Charlie Vernon bass tbone of the Chicago Symphony, Peter Bond trumpeter of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, and Kevin Eisensmith trumpeter of the Johnstown Symphony (formerly of the Lexington Phil) all went there!

John Head, formerly principal trumpet of the Atlanta Symphony, and Kevin Lyons of the Atlanta Opera and Atlanta Ballet teach there. Not to mention Dr. Tom Gibson, tbone of the US Navy Band in DC, is an excellent brass pedagogue. They are all great teachers, and the ensembles have been getting very good! You can't beat the location, and to see Chris Martin and Mark Hughes play the hell out of some music at Woodruff Arts Center.

Go to: http://www.music.gsu.edu/

RW

[ This Message was edited by: richwharton on 2004-01-10 23:57 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: