• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

EB New Website

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: EB New Website Reply with quote

Hi everybody;
Just a quick note to let you know that I have a new website up with loads of free stuff for musicians, educators and students.
We also now accept all credit cards and Paypal as well.
Please have a look and let us know what you think. And we’d love a review of any of our products.
http://bolvinmusic.com/

Thanks!!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: EB New Website Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
Hi everybody;
.... we’d love a review of any of our products.
http://bolvinmusic.com/

OK.

I'll take advantage of your invitation to comment on The Modern Jazz Trumpet Method.

In general, the book is a systematic presentation of wood-shed-able exercises based on scale patterns, arpeggios, and intervals (plus some nasty versions of the same but ascending up to B above High C and entitled "Range Builders.")

The Jazz part comes from the fact that what otherwise might be just a bunch of standard scales and intervals are all based on Jazz patterns. For example, the first 14 scale patterns kind of look like scale studies in all keys BUT they are based on ii-V-I chord progressions with passing tone, altered harmony, a couple of modes and at least one turn-around. After the first 14 there are a couple of scale patterns based on the blues, and 4 other variations.

Same kind of thing with the arpeggios -- these are not C major chords! The arpeggios work the jazz chords in all keys. Each exercise is based on a particular tonal structure, such as No. 1 -- Major 7th; No. 2 --Dominant 7th; No.3 -- Minor 7th ... etc. That continues until one is struggling to understand pentatonic groups and and augmented triads with chromatics!!

The whole concept as I see it is to get the sound and feel of standard jazz intervals or licks in your head and fingers while practicing what otherwise seems to be pretty standard approaches.

I think that the book stands on its own as good practice material for a player who knows the sounds of jazz and also would do well for an advanced student with a teacher who knows the sounds of jazz.

I have ended up mainly using the book for my normal 30 minute warm-up. The range goes from F# below the staff to almost double-high C. (B above high C in Range Builder 17 is the highest I've not played so far.)
Approaching the material cautiously, I find it to be just right for setting me up for my day and maybe pushing my range and endurance just a little bit.

I like the book -- it's usable material with a bit of wrinkle that lets me pretend that I'm getting ready for a duel with Arturo's grandson.

Good work -- highly recommended.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tommy! Best of luck to you!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: