• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

wet or dry lips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rosin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: wet or dry lips? Reply with quote

i can play both,i think dry is better in range,wet is more flexible.what do you think?
chopissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry somehow gives me more grip on the mouthpiece and is good for sharp attacks, however wet seems to have a "cooling" effect on my lips and help endurance...
'68 Conn Director (still going strong!)

Playing "bop" is like playing Scrabble with all the vowels missing.
-- Duke Ellington
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, everything works better with a moist setting. While your observation has a certain logic to it on the surface, I know too many exceptions to call it a valid generalization. The good thing is that you've found out something about your own playing, and thats what its all about!

Paul
Macdaddy757
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that dry lips can hurt you. Like it would blister really easy.
dave belknap
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: wet or dry lip Reply with quote

Playing with a dry lip makes (to me) about as much sense as operating an automobile with no oil in the crankcase and for the same simple reason: parts moving against parts. In the vehicles it's metal to metal. With the player it's soft tissue against soft tissue. This is an opinion shared by ninety percent of the brass players with whom I play on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Dave Belknap
Trumpet/Cornet/Fleuglehorn
Local #47, American Federation of Musicians
Hollywood, CA
ThePoeticCavalier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I play "wet" the mouthpeice slides up and down on my lips too much. I need that grip in order to play normally. I cant stand wet lips. In marching season I get water leaking down the leadpipe from our horns up position. I cant stand it. I have to wipe it with my glove or blow it back into my horn in the rests.

(sorry if this comes up like three times. My computer is telling me its not posting)
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: wet or dry lip Reply with quote

dave belknap wrote:
Playing with a dry lip makes (to me) about as much sense as operating an automobile with no oil in the crankcase and for the same simple reason: parts moving against parts. In the vehicles it's metal to metal. With the player it's soft tissue against soft tissue. This is an opinion shared by ninety percent of the brass players with whom I play on a regular basis.

Cheers,

Dave Belknap
Trumpet/Cornet/Fleuglehorn
Local #47, American Federation of Musicians
Hollywood, CA

Your chops work differently than those for whom a dry setting is favorable. When i play a receded jaw embouchure i must play wet. Can hardly make a tone dry at all.

We're starting to hear of reports that players like Roy Roman started learning high notes with a dry embouchure but changed after the lights, hot weather etc. combined to make the maintenance of a dry setting impossible. For him, it appears, that a dry lip setting worked as a set of "training wheels" for the upper register. Once he conquered the basics of extreme register production he no longer needed to play dry.

Roy plays with a forward jaw setting. Evidence from Reinhardt's writings indicates this tendency among what he called "Upstream players". He also suggested to avoid a dry setting but accepted this as a common situation

My analysis of dry vs. wet is that in some players the dry setting acts as a "lever" to gear the embouchure into the extreme upper register. We've seen this happen on many many of the great high note players.

The disadvantage of a dry setting is not only the maintenance of dry lips during a sweaty performance but also (in some players) the tendency to grind the chops with the added friction created.

Note the videos of Louis Armstrong: Always drying his lips with the hankerchief and much scarred tissue around his lips.

We like to always try to avoid arm pressure and undue abuse. However this trumpet thing is a game for real men (and women too).

As Bob Pettipaw once told me: Try to make your tone sound as effortless as possible no matter how much hard work it entails. True fact Bob. This isn't an instrument for sissies!

Last comment on dry lips: If you play with totally dry lips both on the mouthpiece and inside the cup your articulation can go to hell. On one of my forward jaw settings (which plays dry) I have to practice loud articulated notes often in order to make the thing work. High range itself is no obstacle. Playing ordinary stuff is more the chore.
rosin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i felt that "grip" with dry lips.which is not excactly dry but sticky.lips keep their position because of friction,so u need less muscle work.wet lips sliping so they need more support from muscles.mayby is a good way to learn how high notes feel(because is easier to play them dry),and then try it again with wet lips,as i read in a previus post:)
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote a trombonist (if I may):

"A dry embouchure can be more comfortable if you're used to it, but when you have to play outdoors under a tent in 95% humidity, it's not going to help much"

//W.R.Watrous
Jazztptman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't play dry. when i first picked up the horn in 4th grade, my teacher told me to always lick your lips before you play, and i did. I tried to play dry, but i still can't.

Bb: Limited Edition Bach Stradivarius "Big Apple"
MP: Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead Jazz with Dennis Wick Sleeve.
_TrumpeT_
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is different. I think most people play on wet lips but there are some exceptions like Maurice Andre and David Daws.
Howie J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have to lean on the wet side...although I'm a bit wierd. (aren't we all) I will put chapstick on to moisten my lips then wipe most of it off the center part where my mpc hits. I can't play with dry corners I guess.

Howie J
ThePoeticCavalier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howie J wrote:
I guess I have to lean on the wet side...although I'm a bit wierd. (aren't we all) I will put chapstick on to moisten my lips then wipe most of it off the center part where my mpc hits. I can't play with dry corners I guess.

Howie J

We are trumpet twins! I do the exact same thing!
Macdaddy757
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make 3. I took accutane for acne a several years ago and got addicted to chap stick. I put it on and wipe it off before. I also lick my lips and slide the mouthpiece left and right but can't have my corners very wet.
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always a tough topic, because everyone is different.

Quote:

See, playing with wet lips makes (to me) about as much sense as driving on a flooded highway. Hydroplaning everywhere, sliding, no control.

It's tough to explain exactly how things work as (what I considermyself to be) a dry player. With that said, my entire system isn't completely dry. I have large lips that roll in considerably, and the inside of the aperture is wet, but the outside of the lip, where the mouthpice sits, must be fairly dry, or else it slides right out of position.

Things have started to change a bit for me though recently. I can play much better with at least a little condensation on my lip (from sweat, ect.) than I used to be able to. Ever since I have begun to learn the extreme high range (as LeeC said).

But I do still carry my towel (as Louis did ).

bs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played with dry chops for many years....and have the scar tissue to prove it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: