• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Natural trumpet "myth"

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brassbow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Natural trumpet "myth" Reply with quote

I had just downloaded a copy of The Brandenburg#2 in F maj and in looking at it I think there is a mistake in how we think about Baroque trumpeting. Looking at the beginning measure, the tromba ( trumpet) part starts on middle c then up to an e then g. On Modern trumpets this part of the overtone series starts at c in the staff. Now is viewing Natural trumpets in F you can see that they are about 6 feet or more of tubing, as compared to a modern F trumpet which if unbent would be about less then 3 feet. Now to the point. I think we are playing baroque music to high then what was intended. In looking at the partials I believe the modern Bb player should transpose down a 4th instead of up a 5th. This part was written for f trumpet, to transpose for Bb go down a 4th not up a 5th.
Example as written = C for F trumpet. To play it with a Bb, F concert = G. To match the concept partial G is below the staff. This would make the written high D's playable as an A above the staff. Well within the range of the original concept AND the abilities of most players.
Continental baritone
Clevland Inst. co. mellophone
G/F valveless trumpet
C/Bb valveless herald's trumpet
Eb Grand Rapids ( york) tuba
gemshorn
YES I PLAY THEM ALL!!!
7cw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by 7cw on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
_TrumpeT_
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely disagree with your statement, brassbow. There are lots of harder music than the Brandenburg for the natural trumpet like Michael Haydn in D, Richter concerto, Querfurth, Riepel, etc.
brassbow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying the Brandenburg is a hard or easy piece. IMHO I believe that the possiblity of modern trumpeters playing in the extreme upper register may be wrong. Yes a natrual trumpet plays in the Clarino, but I am begining to feel that baroque music as played on a piccalo trumpet MAY BE to high as was originally conceived. In looking at the harmonic series on an Natural Trumpet ( unless I am way off but don't think so) the CGC harmonics start at the bottom of the staff, not at the top as seen on a modern trumpet. Thus the harmonic scale would start in the staff not above it. With that in mind again IMO this places the natrual trumpet Clarino in the range of a modern trumpet not above it.
please look at the link about the harmonic series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonic_series_(music)
Continental baritone
G/F valveless trumpet
gemshorn
YES I PLAY THEM ALL!!!
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassbow, look at 7cw's post again. He spells it out perfectly.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassbow,

No disrespect, but your logic is wrong. I encourage you to borrow a good Baroque trumpet replica and play some of the trumpet parts by Bach, Telemann, Handel, et al. You will find that the harmonics line up with the high register on the modern trumpet.

As a starter, push down valves 1 & 3 on your B-flat trumpet. Now, play the Brandenburg in the original key as though you are playing a natural trumpet. (This is, in fact, the same overall length of tubing as the natural trumpet in F, although Baroque pitch was about a half-step flat compared to modern tuning.) You will find out within the first few notes that the ONLY way the written harmonics can be played is in the staff -- ABOVE what pitches are written for the original trumpet.

This is true of all of the other Baroque, Rococo, and Classical works written for trumpet. To indirectly imply that Tarr, Smithers, Ekland, Immer, ad many others have it wrong is silly. Also, your logic means that all of the solo recordings of original Baroque works by Andre, Marsalis, Wallace, Hardenberger, and many others are wrong, not to mention the thousands of conductors and trumpeters that have performed and recorded orchestral works by Bach, Handel, Purcell, Haydn, Mozart, etc., etc.

Dave Hickman
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is probably foolish for me to try to add anything to what Prof. Hickman posted above, I do think it's worth noting (1) that modern trumpet playing is part of a continuous tradition that extends back to well before Bach's time, and (2) that a key part of that tradition is the teacher-student interaction guiding the students' interpretations of the repertoire. It seems inconceivable that we would have "lost" Bach's original intent in favor of taking it up an octave.

Oh, and (3) if you listen to the interplay among the solo instruments, I think it would at best odd sound if the trumpet were hanging around an octave below the other solo instruments.
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassbow,
I believe that your confusion stems from a historical pecularity of trumpet musical notation.

Modern trumpets in A, B-flat, and C (as well as small modern E-flat, D trumpets, etc.) are notated so that the 1st ledger below the staff is the 2nd partial.

Long trumpets like the natural trumpet and romantic-era valve trumpets in F, E-flat, E, etc. were always notated so that the 4th partial was C, 1st ledger line below the staff. Thus the written E on the bottom line of the staff would have been played open. That's why trumpet parts by Strauss, Wagner, and others often descend way below the staff.

BTW, there are rare, confusing exceptions to this rule, so that once in a blue moon you will find an F trumpet part that transposes down instead of up.
trumpetart
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
While it is probably foolish for me to try to add anything to what Prof. Hickman posted above, I do think it's worth noting (1) that modern trumpet playing is part of a continuous tradition that extends back to well before Bach's time, and (2) that a key part of that tradition is the teacher-student interaction guiding the students' interpretations of the repertoire. It seems inconceivable that we would have "lost" Bach's original intent in favor of taking it up an octave.

Actually, there was a period of time in the late 19th and early 20th century when there was serious debate on this subject, precicely because the tradition of clarino performance hadbeen "lost." There were all kinds of misconceptions floating around, and lots of musicologists publishing papers on the mystery of "Bach's trumpet."

swthiel wrote:

Oh, and (3) if you listen to the interplay among the solo instruments, I think it would at best odd sound if the trumpet were hanging around an octave below the other solo instruments.

I actually have a recording like that, where the trumpet has been replaced by a cornetto. It's surprisingly nice that way! A few people still argue that Brandenburg #2 should be played in the low octave, though that is definitely the minority opinion! (and not mine, I should hasten to add )
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ... I learned something here today!
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the confusion about Baroque trumpet playing stemed from the so-called "Bach trumpet" made by Werner Menke. It was a modern trumpet trumpet with two rotary valves. Back in the early part of the 20th century, this was perhaps the best instrument to play the Baroque repertoire. Because of the name "Bach trumpet," some people thought that J. S. Bach and others actually used this type of instrument in their orchestras.

I have often heard people, even professional trumpeters (!), call the modern piccolo B-flat trumpet a "Baroque trumpet." How stupid.

DH
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassbow,

Your conjecture is not unique. If I recall correctly, I attended a lecture at the 1988 ITG conference at NTSU where the presenter attempted to argue the same thing - that the Brandenburg should be played an octave lower than is always heard.

I don't remember his name; I'll try to remember to look it up when I get home.
Brian Moore
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thoughts...

I have a recollection that the recording of Brandenburg 2 with Benjamin Britten conducting (done in the 1960's) has a French horn playing the trumpet part, i.e., an octave lower than we normally hear. Although I must have heard this at some point, I can't remember it, but I'm sure that you'd lose the delicious 'invertible counterpoint' and interplay between the recorder, violin and trumpet, if the trumpet part is played an octave lower.

Mahler (amongst many others) often specified trumpet in F, and there's no doubt that the 19th century F-trumpet sounded HIGHER than written ... this does follow on directly from the tradition of trumpet-making. For centuries, nearly all trumpets were in D (sounding a tone up from 'concert pitch'). The orchestral F-trumpet developed from a shortened version of the 'long' D trumpet (via the keyed trumpet of Weidinger).

Interestingly, the Bb trumpet parts which occasionally crop up in music from Mozart's time and modern Bb trumpet parts sound at the same pitch as each other, despite Mozart's trumpeters having 9ft-long trumpets (7ft D trumpets crooked down to Bb), and modern Bb trumpets being only 4.5ft long.

Brassbow, as a general rule, you can assume that Bb & A trumpet parts sound lower than written, D, Eb, E & F parts sound higher than written. Even if the tradition of clarino playing was lost in the late 18th century, the legacy of the instruments lived on, & is pretty well researched and documented. The physics of the harmonic series tells us what is possible on these instruments. It's not a myth.

Brian Moore
brassbow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is turning into an interesting debate:) so I am not taking offence at all.
Trumpetart: You menioned that written music for baroque trumpet places the CGC partial at the bottom of the staff. If so that would clear things up. I have a copy of the Abblassen(sp) fanfare that starts on f in the staff. If what your saying is true .
ALL posters For the sake of argument:
The Aida trumpet was called the BACH trumpet and was made shorter then a natarul trumpet to play high
If you look at my icon I am playig a king 1920's natural trumpet in G. If I pull the slide to the bell it becomes F In looking at "real" F trumpets it looks like they have at least a foot more then my King, Therfore would give strenghth to my original comment

trp.hick Not saying the greats are wrong, The pic sounds great on baroque music. I am saying HMMMM could they be mistaken?
Basicaly right now it could be a preference. For an example of taste, a trumpet in the 19th century was frowned apon as to bright and brittle. H.L. Clarke made a mention of this horrible sound and how it is not to be played as a solo instrument. Thus the cornet was the prefered solo instrument as was the Eb cornet as the virtuoso sopraniano(sp) instrument. It wasn't until players like Mendez made the trumpet accepted in the main stream.
One thing I have noticed is in recordings of Naturals is they sound like a regular trumpet not a pic. Yes for the instrument they are in the Clarino.In the modern instrument the clarino starts at C above the staff, while it sounds that a natural's clarino starts below the staff.
From what I understand the Clarino is defined as to where the true scale begins c.d.e.f. etc
Continental baritone
G/F valveless trumpet
gemshorn
YES I PLAY THEM ALL!!!
brassbow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found this on ITG
http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/2002journal/0206baroque.pdf
Continental baritone
G/F valveless trumpet
gemshorn
YES I PLAY THEM ALL!!!
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brassbow wrote:
just found this on ITG
http://www.trumpetguild.org/pdf/2002journal/0206baroque.pdf

The author of that article advocates using larger trumpets to perform Baroque repertoire, yes. What he does not ever do is advocate performing the works down an octave. He is simply arguing that a Bb trumpet in the high tessitura of Baroque music sounds more like the natrual trumpets of ole than the piccolo.

About 2/3 of the way down the first paragraph he notes that the corresponding shift in the tessitura from the fourth octave of the natrual trumpet to the second octave of the piccolo trumpet. This also implies that the notes were just as high on the natural trumpet. Because the picc is 1/4 the length, the notes are two octaves closer to its fundamental (it's two octaves higher, roughly).

As for your statement that the authentic natural trumpet is a foot longer than yours, that's because pitch in the baroque was lower (c A=415Hz if I'm not mistaken). A foot is not enough discrepancy to make an octave argument.

Stuart
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetart wrote:
I actually have a recording like that, where the trumpet has been replaced by a cornetto. It's surprisingly nice that way! A few people still argue that Brandenburg #2 should be played in the low octave, though that is definitely the minority opinion! (and not mine, I should hasten to add )

Huh? Now THAT I'd like to hear!

The idea of using horn on the 2nd Bburg, by the way, stems from an 18th century manuscript copy by Prentzl.

b
Biber
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpetplyr wrote:
As for your statement that the authentic natural trumpet is a foot longer than yours, that's because pitch in the baroque was lower (c A=415Hz if I'm not mistaken). A foot is not enough discrepancy to make an octave argument.

Stuart

So push all three valved down and go au naturale!

B
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two separate issues here.

The first is the general case. Here there is absolutely no argument. None. We have the instruments; we have the music that was written for them. There is only one octave in which the notes used by composers correspond exactly with the notes available on the instrument, and that is the octave in which the music is always played. Arguing otherwise is like suggesting that the sun rises in the west. There is simply no debate on this question.

The second is the specific case of the 2nd Brandenburg. Here things get slightly fuzzier. On at least one occasion, Bach labelled the part "tromba o vero corno da caccia", that is, "trumpet or else hunting horn." There are two ways to interpret this statement. The first, and by far the most common, is that Bach intended the part to be performed sounding a fourth higher than written on trumpet, but was prepared to accept a performance on horn sounding a fifth lower. The other interpretation, and the one which coincides with brassbow's theory, is that Bach wouldn't have accepted an octave transposition, and the part would have to have sounded a fifth lower than written on the horn, so he must have intended the part to sound a fifth lower on trumpet as well.

Problem is, I can't think of a single piece of evidence to support the second interpretation. In particular, this would mean that Bach wrote a concerto for an instrument totally unlike the one he wrote dozens and dozens of pieces for, and to my knowledge nobody alive today has ever seen such an instrument. You can certainly make the argument that Bach would have tolerated a performance in the lower octave, but it's awfully difficult to claim that he would have preferred it.
lengelke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Abblasen Response Reply with quote

Brassbow,

In addition to seconding the posts by Dave Hickman and Richard Sandels that cearly make the case that the parts are clearly performed in the correct octave, I have to point out that if you are looking at a transposed copy of Reiche's famous Abblasen.

This fanfare survives because of the painting Reiche's by E.G. Haussmann.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bf/Gottfried_reiche.jpg

I could only find a copy of this on wikipedia in a quick look, but it is common knowledge that the fanfare begins on third space C (not F). If you play this fanfare in the sounding tonality of D major, then you can read the music on an A piccolo trumpet (as written on the music you have).

LE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: