• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece suggestions, different cup depth/rim?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece suggestions, different cup depth/rim? Reply with quote

I'm looking to try out some mouthpieces with a different cup depth than what I use, and possibly a larger rim diamater also. I'm looking for something a little shallower than a Bach C size, but a little deeper than say a Schilke 14a4a. I use a Bach 5 C and I don't like the sharpness of the rim into my top lip. I play off to the right and use probably 1/3 top lip, 2/3 bottom lip, and the top part of the rim always digs in pretty badly in the right side of my top lip. Are there any mouthpieces with a more cushioned rim and with a wider diameter? I think this might help me. Anyone ever have a similar situation and found a mpc they like, or have any suggestions?
Thanks
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, go to Warburton's website: www.warburton-usa.com I think you might want to try the following combos:
4M/7
4MC/7
4M/7*
4MC/7*

also you may want to try the '3' diameter, but that is closer to a Bach 11/2 size. And you could also try different sized backbores to experiment with resistance and the broadness/projection you want. Also the 'SV' and 'S' cups are shallower than the 'M' but not as shallow as a Schilke 'A' cup.
Hopefully you have music store around you that has a Warburton kit. Good luck!
Www.LexSamu.com
TimTheTrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. As far as I know, the music stores around here don't have the Warburton kits. I looked on their website, and it says they carry them in Arlington Heights, IL which is probably the closest to where I live. Do they have a trial system where you can take them home to test or can you return them?
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tim, I'm not sure if Warburton offers that directly, you should contact them and ask them. They are all really good guys down there and a pleasure to deal with. I am pretty sure that, for a small fee, Dillon's music in NJ www.dillonmusic.com lets you do the trial thing....and they are usually well stocked full of Warburtons. All the best, Lex.
Www.LexSamu.com
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warbutons are great pieces. They have generous rim widths and are comfy. You may also want ot check out GR's e65 series. Good luck to ya.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeCool wrote:
Warbutons are great pieces. They have generous rim widths and are comfy. You may also want ot check out GR's e65 series. Good luck to ya.

I've tried a stock version of Warburton rims. While they certainly are an improvement over Bach I wouldn't necessarily describe them as "comfy". Someone else can as clearly Warburton is much better than Bach.

However "comfy" to my description only applies to Al Cass mouthpieces which are scarce as can be.

Terry Warburton was friends with Al Cass though. Maybe he can devise a custom model rim if the original poster still feels intimidated by stock rims.
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece suggestions, different cup depth/rim? Reply with quote

The "Brass Bow" in Chicago used to carry Warburton pieces. Call them and ask for Ken.

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Once you find your favorite rim size, Warburton is definately the way to go!

I discovered early on what my best cup depth was for most uses. For me it was their M cup.

Today, I own my favoirte size from the tiny (special order) ES, ESV, S, SV, M, MC, MD and D cups. Still though . . . the M is what does it for me. It IS good though to experiment around. In this way you end up knowing why most maker's recommend a specific cup for most players and horns!

I also use a BC cup on my shepherd's crook cornet in my favoritie Warburton-sized rim.

Great mouthpieces.

Warburton also allows you to dial your favorite top in with your horn . . . using different backbores. It is in the backbore area where you can really make some cool discoveries and tweak your horn for a specific sound and/or type of music.

Also, if your horns receiver is out of spec, they also make the * backbores in all their sizes . . . to get the gap correct on a specific horn.

Thus, I no longer play mouthpieces made as "one size fits all" mouthpieces. There are just too many variables.

In the long run, I suspect I'm saving money too!

T.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: