• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bob Reeves "S" vs "SV" cups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Bob Reeves "S" vs "SV" cups Reply with quote

Hi, I'm going to order some stuff from Reeves, and wondering if someone has compared the S and SV cups. I use a M cup but also want a piece that is a bit shallower. I can't play TOO shallow cups, but I like V-cups. Anyone have a picture or something of the SV or/and the S cup?
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves S cups are about the shallowest thing I can play. The SV cups are too shallow for me, and although I like "V cups" too, the S cup is such a great cup that is balanced so well that I don't even care what shape it is.

Here's an SV cup (green) compared to an S cup (red):

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Adam! That helped a lot.
Where did you get that comparator?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob Reeves "S" vs "SV" cups Reply with quote

Gonzalez wrote:
Hi, I'm going to order some stuff from Reeves, and wondering if someone has compared the S and SV cups. I use a M cup but also want a piece that is a bit shallower. I can't play TOO shallow cups, but I like V-cups. Anyone have a picture or something of the SV or/and the S cup?

I have long expiriance with all cups from Bobs shop , the S cup is probably better for you becose is not much shalower than your M cup , the SV cup is closer to the ES (extra shalow), the S cup has 0.215 depth and the SV 0.205 in comparison with your M that has 0.242.
If you are ready to pay some extar $$$ they will make for you a S/SV custom cup or get a Jerry Hey cup with your favorit rim and bbore , this cup is a deeper S and has #28 bore.
My advise is to get a S since your M is not a V cup piece and you will adjust your playing very easy , Reeves S cup is maby one of the most succesfully pieces in the commercial/lead field and many pros around the world use it for many years now , good luck.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks. I will go for the "S" cup
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it odd that the SV would be shallower and with a narrower throat than the S. Unless there is an ES or something, I would expect the SV to be mildly deeper.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Robert Rizzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the S cup is deeper than lead mouthpieces like the Marcinkiewicz Shew 1, Ingram, or Yamaha Shew Lead, it is a ton efficient. I recently started playing on an S cup, it gives me a great sound across the range, i.e. low, middle and high registers.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Rizzo wrote:
Although the S cup is deeper than lead mouthpieces like the Marcinkiewicz Shew 1, Ingram, or Yamaha Shew Lead, it is a ton efficient. I recently started playing on an S cup, it gives me a great sound across the range, i.e. low, middle and high registers.

Hi Robert , i did find yet time to try the CF on my Lawler star but i will do it soon , did you order your 42CF ?

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob Reeves "S" vs "SV" cups Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
My advise is to get a S since your M is not a V cup piece and you will adjust your playing very easy

Reeves M cup (in green) compared to Reeves S cup (in red):

M cup sure looks V-Shaped to me. It's significantly deeper than the SV cup. But to me, the Reeves M cup still has a V shape, at least when compared to the ES, S or C cups.

I agree with you though that the OP should go to an S cup before the SV cup. Difference between the M and S is not so much, where as going to the SV would be quite a change.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the M and S cups are wonderful, when balanced with everything else (backbore, horn, player). Like John said, there isn't a huge difference between the two cups as far as cup shape/volume goes. The main difference is in how the rest of the mouthpiece balances with the cup shape. The S cup has a #28 bore as opposed to the #27 on the M cup, because Bob Reeves feels that was the drill size that worked best with that cup.

Backbores are a different story. Bob balances them so each backbore-cup combination "works", but there are definitely some configurations that work much better than others--the S/69, for example. On the M cup I think the 69 works better than the standard 2, but on that cup the 692 is supposed to be better than either, according to Mike McGovern.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bob Reeves "S" vs "SV" cups Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
giakara wrote:
My advise is to get a S since your M is not a V cup piece and you will adjust your playing very easy

Reeves M cup (in green) compared to Reeves S cup (in red):

M cup sure looks V-Shaped to me. It's significantly deeper than the SV cup. But to me, the Reeves M cup still has a V shape, at least when compared to the ES, S or C cups.

I agree with you though that the OP should go to an S cup before the SV cup. Difference between the M and S is not so much, where as going to the SV would be quite a change.

Best wishes,

John Mohan

John , i have speak in the past via mail with Bob about the different of the M cup against cup and he told me that the D is a kind of V shaped and the M is C shaped cup , as i told you before i dont trust this comparison chart (or any other) if you compare the 43S with the Marchinkiewitz@%@%@%#% B.Findley model they look almost the same but the are total differnt beast , i dont now what pieces have scan but i am not sure that all the scans are the corect , is a good place to have a idea but not t base on it and buy something with out try it.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 41S/692S, and it works great on my Inderbinen. Bob Reeves co are a dream to deal with. Had them cut some rims and some for sleeves. They did it in one day, and shipped them the day after. Great.

Thanks for the input guys
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about ordering either a 42S/692SL or 42S/69 from Reeves. I wanted to try these before I bought, but I can't find any dealers that stock these. I just talked to Dillon's and they have to special order from Reeves. No try and return on non-stock items.

I'll use this piece for lead playing. My guess for the backbore is the 692SL or the 69, but the 692S and 2 look like they may work well too. Hard to know without first trying these.

Dillon's said to order a one piece mouthpiece, but I'm not sure this makes sense economically if I later decide to try a different backbore.

Last edited by uglylips on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to beat the S/69 combo.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
uglylips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam V wrote:
Hard to beat the S/69 combo.

Do you use a one piece or two?
Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're talking about the rim, I guess it's a 2-piece (screw rim).

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uglylips wrote:
I'm thinking about ordering either a 42S/692SL or 42S/69 from Reeves. I wanted to try these before I bought, but I can't find any dealers that stock these. I just talked to Dillon's and they have to special order from Reeves. No try and return on non-stock items.

I'll use this piece for lead playing. My guess for the backbore is the 692SL or the 69, but the 692S and 2 look like they may work well too. Hard to know without first trying these.

Dillon's said to order a one piece mouthpiece, but I'm not sure this makes sense economically if I later decide to try a different backbore.

If you play a very open or LB horn try the 692s or 692sL bbores but for smaler , tight wrap or medium and step bore horns the #2 and 69 works better.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: