• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

opinions on large bore Strad w/ 25 bell?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 25 bell is why I liked the cornet - it gave the horn a somewhat compact feel that I like on cornet.

I also think the 37 bell is why I liked the LB horn that I tried. The 37 is a great bell and just felt great as an all-around setup with the large bore. The LB horn I played with a 25 bell was definitely more compact.

Bb - CarolBrass CTR-5205L-YLT-P
Cornet - CarolBrass CCR-6880-YLS-P
C - CarolBrass CTR-6262H-YSS-P-C
Flug - CarolBrass CFL-6200-RSS-L
Picc - CarolBrass CPC-7735F-YLS-P
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LB 25 has been around since the 1930's. The 25 bell is actually a renumbered 7-10 bell. If the LB is too much work all you have to do is put in a ML tuning slide. That's a lot less expensive than swapping out bells.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
What's the bore on a Bach LB?

I love these threads on the 25L. It doesn't get enough consideration IMO, and I always chime in when they are being discussed. If I sound like a broken record, I apologize!

My main horn is a stock 25LB, and I love it. It fits my sound concept perfectly, and it allows me the best mix of all worlds...lots of depth and beauty, and when pushed, it has just enough shimmer without turning into a laser. Orchestra, quintet, solo, latin, lead...it allows me to fit into any situation without compromising anything. The upper register really sings, and the blow doesn't wear me out. I haven't played very many Bb's that come close to it.

Paul
StevenPSparks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockford wrote:
If the LB is too much work all you have to do is put in a ML tuning slide. That's a lot less expensive than swapping out bells.

Disagree strongly on that, based on my numerous attempts to do exactly the same thing. A big bell is a big bell, no matter what you do to the bore before it gets there. I loved the sound of my MLV 65, but no matter which tuning slide I tried (6 in all, various bores & configs), the accuracy & slotting were hard to control, most noticeably above the staff.

As to the topic at hand, I had a LB long cornet w/ the 25G bell, and never felt that the sound was like you describe with your trumpet. A Bach long cornet is merely a rebent trumpet, so it's funny that our experience was so different. I always felt like it spread nicely & filled up the room. I did, however, most often use bach "no letter" MPs, which may have added to my perception of the wide dark sound.

"I'm older now, so don't be a blowhard"
¦\___oTTT_____
¦/ (__o¦¦¦o__)
Bakerc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaBestia wrote:
To Bakerc:

Just wondering what type of Pilczuk leadpipe you put on your Bach 25. How did it affect the playing characteristics of the horn?

When I bought the horn, it had some red rot on the leadpipe, but the rest of it was just fine (and the valves looked new). Instead of getting another Bach leadpipe I talked with Rich Ita and he sent me a few to try. However, he didn't tell me anything about the specs or what they are supposed to do. Having said that, I chose the yellow brass 41-62 leadpipe. I found that it opened the blow up slightly while maybe improving intonation somewhat. The biggest difference was in the slotting; I found that the slotting was improved quite a bit. It did not change the sound much if at all from what I can hear.

Hope this helps!
Schilke XA1 cornet
1899 Boston 3 Star cornet
Schilke E3L Eb/D
Benge Piccolo trumpet
~1910's Barendsen C/Bb/A (William Frank)
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
What's the bore on a Bach LB?

And for PVA, how long will it take for your felts to pound down, and how will you know when they have? I know even a standard re-felt made a HUGE improvement on my Bach, (43/43) that no doubt everybody else (but me) had noticed for quite some time. Changes daily, too small to notice ...

The bore of a large bore Bach is a whopping .462 - still considered medium large by some maker's standards.

It's my understanding that when you get a valve alignment, the felts never "pound down" - the material used is stable and doesn't crush down over time.

A Reeves Alignment made a world of difference on my Schilke B6 and I can would tend to think that if you took almost any Strad and made sure that it was both valve-aligned and gapped correctly for the player/mouthpiece/trumpet, it would make almost any Strad play and sound good.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! Standard felts pound down, PVA'd don't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: