• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jim Manley & Airmen of Note lead trpts hang on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee:

Who the heck are you? Thousands of posts. Are you the world's expert on all things related to trumpets?
Skip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of being flamed, I have to agree with Lee.

I, as well as a couple other trumpet players, are in search of the magic answer, words of wisdom, etc. of what really is taking place & allowing it to be so, apparently, effortless for some players. I don't think anyone has THE answer, or surely they would bottle & sell it.

My feelings are that it ultimately comes down to genetics with great practicing. If you are fortunate to be born with "the right stuff" (whatever it is - perfect teeth/dentition, strong oral muscles with great nerve innervation, right mix of slow & fast twitch nerve endings, right oral cavity shape & size, good lip shape, texture & size, etc., etc.) and apply them through practice - you too can play like (fill in the blank great artist) Mendez, Maynard, Doc, Chase, Miles, Manley, etc. Unfortuntely for the masses under the Bell curve, we weren't born with the genetics, and there's nothing we can do (so far) to get them. We can practice more & smarter, and we will improve & get closer and achieve OUR best, but for most of us, we will never achieve what these gifted people did.

When asked how these greats do or did what they were able to do, most, themselves, admitted that they didn't have a clue how or what they did to achieve & accomplish what they did. They often said nebulous things like "I just put the horn to my lips & blow" or "it just works" or other similar phrases.

I feel that the "air" thing that Jim declares as his epiphamy has more to do with increasing his endurance, and works for him, than it has anything to do with his range. Clearly Jim had the range before this light went on about the air. If just using the air efficiently, breathing into & from the depths of the diaphragm, opening the throat, & playing with no tension was the key or answer to the stratosphere of playing, we would ALL be able to do it. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit right up front that I did not look at the video. I suspect it barely scratches the surface of what Jim can do.

What I can tell you, from meeting with Jim in person, is that in addition to being a fantastic player and incredibly nice guy, he is a very gifted teacher. He explains his concepts quite well, demonstrates them, and can (as others have said) give you the tools to do it yourself. It's not magic, and he won't claim that it is. It takes work (practice) to relax!

Jim has worked hard to get where he's at. Very hard, and for a long time. I think to say, sight unseen (ok, aside from whatever videos are running around), that he simply "fell" into his range is a fallacy and denigrates a person who worked very hard to become one of the best players and teachers around. I know a number of players who worked for their range, including Jim and George Graham, who weren't prodigies and built their playing (not just their range) up from "average" to "great". It takes work, and thought, and then more work.

Besides, Jim's sound is simply incredible, rich and fat, from the pedal range into the stratosphere. He is NOT just some high-note Johnnie (or, Jimmie ).

FWIWFM - Don
thecleaner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Lee has had some great advice on playing high. I read one of his posts where he explains why most players cut out past a certain note. He explained that you need tight corners and soft tissue inside of the mouthpiece. (a lot more detail then that of course) You have to take the time to practice and experiment to find your sweet spot, or what will work for you.

I liked the video very much, I have never heard of any of the guys in the video. They sure sound great though!!!
Kevin Burns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC wrote:

Now that's just a guess however I feel justified in what I'm saying because in his video he doesn't really explain a deep, detailed understanding of the physical law/requirements that extreme range production entails.

Lee - Do I have to say it again? There is nothing on that video trying to explain high notes even though there are alot of great high notes being played. It's a lesson on efficiency - not exteme range technques. Don't try to make it something that it's not. When he goes through the concept with me on the video, I'm only playing low C scale.

hvand wrote:
It's a pretty good bet that I will never perform a double high C. Nevertheless, the ideas were quite helpful. I watched the video before I began to practice the 3rd movt of Ewazen's Sonata. In my attempt to be full, loud, and exciting, I was getting tight, overbreathing, and overblowing. Breathing a "little lower" and being more aware of resonance (rather than volume) made it possible to generate more excitement with less effort.

This is a beautiful response, because here is someone benefiting with this concept on Ewazen's Sonata. I don't think there are any triple Cs in that piece.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Burns for putting those videos on line. Mr. Manley seems to be very enthusiastic, generous, and utterly enjoys playing. I think that these traits certainly help people succeed in whatever field they pursue.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Lee wrote:
Lee:

Who the heck are you? Thousands of posts. Are you the world's expert on all things related to trumpets?

I like posts like Don's.

Have made my living as a trumpet player. Full time for three years supported myself. Owned a suitcase and kept my first wife nagging and a six cylinder Ford running. Sometimes. I do not live that way anymore.

So that all by itself should lend at least a little credence to my philosophy. Not the former job but that I found a way of making money more efficiently. A little more money anyway.

As for some thoughts about specifics of why people can roam the upper register without limitations and most can't?

My own "natural" range was/is stunted. Better than most kids but wouldn't rock a DHC more than once an evening. The band leader wanted me to finish the set without passing out. Didn't like the scarlet color of my face either. So I kept it at or under a High F or so. Now that's a fine range and probably acceptable to a lot of gigs. Especially when most musicians are hired for playing what an audience considers "musical". So the F to G range did just fine.

But I wasn't happy with that. Ultimately I must try and keep myself happy. Or try to. So in addition to reading most everything available on chop lit starting about thirty five years ago. I fiddled with elements of facial muscle usage and embouchure set ups that were very unnatural and difficult to get accustomed.

The first one failed. I used the Stevens System in the mid 1970's until about 1985 or so and never got a solid forte out of even one note. Useless. However I learned far more from my failure than by any of my successes. What I learned was that something was flawed with Stevens Costello. No brainer, right?

Yeah well another process was uncovered: Before you can figure out what efforts work you have to eliminate those ideas and concepts that are either flawed altogether or don't work for YOU.

We call this "trial and error". Some amount of trial and error must still exist in any trumpet player. If you are lucky however you might run into one or two people early on in life who can save you the forty year slog through the swamp all by yourself. For me one of these guys was Al Cass. He didn't hold all the answers. In fact some of his thoughts were sinfully flawed. Unacceptable.

But a few were correct. And since I wasn't getting anything (or anywhere) except flawed advice earlier Al's words were welcome.

What I've said I see in Manley is largely my projection. He's a great guy. He plays better than I do. From the video I really like him. Still like my own trumpet playing and feel comfortable with it though.

Heck Maynard played better than anyone. Probably no one will play that well for a long long time. What should we of lesser means do, quit? Because we can't play as well as Maynard or someone else? That's a pretty dumb thing to do.

I play the best that Lee Cahalan can do. There is nothing more than I should ask from myself. Have tried very hard for many many years. I play with three embouchures. One that has High G a big as a house and will knock the cat off the porch. Another will sustain a triple C well enough and play melodies up to and around that area with relative ease. And the most recent one shows the capacity to blow into the Quad sphere and excellent volume through the High C to DHC range. It also learns quickly/fast learning curve.

All of these settings were "unnatural" at first. Playing the trumpet is "unnatural". You may choose to never experiment with different settings. It isn't for the faint of heart. Or if you do fiddle a bit you ought to play it smart and consider any new embouchure to be like learning to "double" on another instrument. You will need to continue playing your old way just as vigorously in order to meet any playing commitments.

However the capacity to play easily into the area above High G to triple C as Mr. Manley displays does not exist in the average trumpet player's chops. It probably never will exist without him/her tinkering with something substantial.

If you tinker? Beware! Whether you succeed or fail you will probably find yourself all on your own. A pioneer in a field where little physical science has been properly adapted or explained. And much thoughtless, useless "explanations" are STILL the rule. Things like "use the air", "arch your tongue" "play a large (sharp) mouthpiece", "syllables" "it's all in your breathing" etc.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post Lee. I think it should be a sticky on the LeeC dedicated forum.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what did I learn from Lee's last post?
1. His life story
2. Al Cass had some great advice that was left out of the post
3. Tinker with your embochure
And of course
4. Ideas like "use the air", "arch your tongue" ,"syllables" "it's all in your breathing" are thoughtless and useless.

How does this help anyone?

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mfan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Manley Reply with quote

Kevin, Thanks for posting those vids. That is some silly stuff. It just makes me laugh. After watching the vid I tried some of the things he was talking about in my next big band rehearsal. I found that I kind I got worn out a little earlier. My sound really opened up but I didn't fell like my chops had the same strength. How is it working for you? Are you having any similar issues?

LeeC- What's your beef with Manley? I'd love to see you put up some vids and show us all how it's done. Then make sure to tell us how you made it work and how we can use it to better our own playing. I think there's lots of valuable info in the clips. So it didn't work for YOU. Sorry to hear that. Sometimes I think folks on here get too worked up over EXACTLY what is happening. "What should my lips feel like when I'm playing a DHC?" You're kidding right? Sometimes you gotta go out and play. Just blow, forget about your aperture, corners, mpce placement, is it wet or dry.... don't make it so hard, just play! I think people spend too much time on these boards and not enough time in a practice room with a horn on their face.
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first post in the high range part of the forum. I am not a lead player, however have always appreciated players that figure that part of the horn out successfully. The thing that has always bothered me about this forum is that some people think that their way is the only way to achieve success, which just isn't the case. I am a big advocate of mouthpiece buzzing. It has made a huge difference in my success as a trumpet player. I know of others who would never buzz on a mouthpiece alone, but sound great. Do I respect them? Absolutely. Are they wrong in their approach? Not at all. However, their approach doesn't work for me. The beauty of this is that there are many ways to accomplish the same goal. In the video, Mr. Manley stated that he likes his resistance to be at the front of the horn, and that Wayne's horn (I assume he is talking about Wayne Bergeron) is too open for him. This is a perfect example of two VERY successful people doing things a different way, but still arriving at the same goal. It's interesting to note that Faddis, Shew, Ingram and Chase used/use medium bore horns, however, Maynard used an extra large bore horn. All of them are phoenominal players, but have different approaches.

LeeC, I'm sure you are very accomplished, but obviously, so is Mr. Manley. Can we agree that there is more that one right way to accomplish upper register success?

Kevin, thanks for posting these for us to see, and thanks for taking time to contribute to this forum. You and the Note came through my town (Salem, OR) on Mother's day two years ago. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the group. By the way, you are an outstanding MC; first class all the way. Please give my regards to Dudley Hinote (we were in school together a long time ago).

Please play nices fellas. We need to help each other. Let's don't run the pros away from our forum.

Peace to you all,
Jaimie Hall
Kevin Burns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Manley Reply with quote

mfan wrote:
Kevin, Thanks for posting those vids. That is some silly stuff. It just makes me laugh. After watching the vid I tried some of the things he was talking about in my next big band rehearsal. I found that I kind I got worn out a little earlier. My sound really opened up but I didn't fell like my chops had the same strength. How is it working for you? Are you having any similar issues?

What I absoloutely love about Manley's concept is that I can instantly apply it or go back to my current way of playing. Again, it is Jim's great ability to communicate ideas that made it stick easily. Because of that, I feel like I am able to work on it and give it time to develop even right in the middle of a busy rehearsal/performance schedule. Maybe since it's an air thing and not a big embochure change is the reason why I don't feel 'set back' until I perfect or even modifiy it in whatever way I feel works best for me. By the way, the last 12 words in the previous sentence is I think a good approach to any technique.

I too have tried it in rehearsals and even on gigs. What I found for myself is that I must find the balance of air intake to output. If I feel like my chops don't have the same strength like you mention, it's because I am not taking in enough air to efficiently make it through (for example) a big pounding jazz band piece.

When I 'get it right' my chops really feel good and relaxed, but since the resistance is in such a different place I have to "listen" instead of "feel" what's coming out the end of my bell - only because I'm not used to the feel of it inside a large ensemble yet. What I discover is that what I am hearing is a remarkably big sound that's being produced with a very relaxed feeling.

When you first watch the video you might get the impression that Jim is saying "you don't need air" to play the trumpet. That's not exactly the point. The point is about efficiency and relaxation when playing.

Here's a recent e-mail I sent to Jim to make sure I was at least representing his concepts well on this forum as a result of the questions I knew would probably pop up as a result of posting those videos. Jim completely agreed with my explanation so I thought I would share it:

"The overall concept that I take away from your teaching on air is not that you are trying to say that you don't need air to "play" the instrument. I believe you are proving though that you don't need a ton of air to produce a big sound from the instrument. You prove it quite well when you are slurring a couple of octaves over and over with practically no air. You even say "If you want it louder you just blow harder." In my business of big band trumpet playing, I think it would be difficult to cover those long intense passages without taking in a fair amount of air, but getting the feeling of making the sound with little air I think will help transfer to the overall efficiency in the unique animal that is the big band.

I actually think it's very "wedge" like. Brian, who is a student of the "wedge" through Roger Ingram, also thinks so. You definately show though that you don't need to "tank up" and potentially create a bunch of unnecessary tension in the neck or upper chest. It also really gives one an opportunity to transfer the resistance to a different place on the horn, which opens up other opportunites on the instrument (like moving to a smaller mouthpiece).

It's the second time in my career I've been able to quickly feel a resistance change. This first was when I was trying to learn the "wedge" and I was able to get more efficient with my air (taking a bunch of tension out of my neck). I used to pound the air through without much regard to where the tension was going. The second time was after spending time with you and your concepts. I could actually feel the resistance move from down the horn to right up at the mouthpiece. I wasn't pushing my lips into the piece so much."

Jim said he might actually post here to clear up some questions. He is reading this. I hope he does, if he can stomach the onslaught!
Eddie Severn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched to videos several times and read all the posts. Personally I found the whole thing very interesting and well worth looking at and am glad that is was shared on youtube.

Like many players I also studied with Bobby Shew, who of course taught me the wedge breathing technique. Some of what Jim says seems to be somewhat at odds with Bobby's thing about raising the shoulders etc. The yoga complete breath is basically divided into low middle and high breathing. Jim says in the video that he does not breathe "above the 3rd button on his shirt" which means that he focuses on the low area most and leaves his chest relaxed. I have often found that taking in too much air can lead to tension all over the place and Jim seems to be making this an important point.

I'd be interested to hear from other students of Bobby's what their view is on what Jim talks about as opposed to the wedge system of breathing. Getting the compression to feel close to the aperture area is something I really related too. More compression less air so as to speak.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim taught me the wedge breath as he felt it would help me support the sound better with my large-bore horn. The concepts can be combined, but in his normal playing he does not use the wedge breath. He knows it and will use/teach it where it is useful. I believe Jim has met and/or worked with Bobby Shew; there's no rivalry there. I have seen the wedge described wrongly many times, and as I am at best third-generation I am not competent to describe it here. I'll just say that it can be performed without all the excess tension that so many (myself included,especially at first) seem to attribute to it.

As for tension, Jim plays disgustingly relaxed. He takes efficiency to a whole new level. A lesson with him is a revelation.

Jim has posted hear now and then; maybe he'll jump in.

FWIWFM - Don
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that Bobby has seen these videos by now. Does anybody know him well enough to ask him for his opinion?

I tried learning the wedge, but had trouble keeping my body relaxed. I need to sit with somebody that has it down...I also think Jim and Bobby's methods could be somewhat combined...
skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God:
Please please please let me play like Jim Manly and I will never ever ask you for anything ever again....
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm..............Does that include taking a vow of celebacy?

(Just kidding)

skootchy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeytrpt wrote:
Hmmmm..............Does that include taking a vow of celebacy? (Just kidding)

Oh, you would be talking about my ex-wife... Been there, done that... vastly overated!
Juergen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC wrote:
Kevin Burns wrote:
LeeC wrote:

Manley is a great player and a really nice guy. He seems to want to give freely of himself. However he is gifted and that state can not be moved from teacher to student. I mean he can't really explain anything he's doing much as he wants to. Maynard was this way: They talk about AIR AIR AIR and they're nice people.

But they've just "got it" and most of us don't.

Actually, he does explain himself quite well as anyone that watches the video can see, and as Paul mentioned through his own experience. I've never before listened to someone explain their philosophy of the instrument and be able to transfer it to my own playing so quickly the way I did with Jim. That equates to an excellent teacher in my opinion.

The video is about his philosophy on air and not a lesson on how to play triple Cs. He was doing that long before he changed his approach to air. It's a lesson on efficiency.

Maybe he even 'won the lottery' at first, but Jim is a great 'student' of the trumpet and therefore is able to communicate his ideas well as a result of the time that he has put into the instrument.

Another post that I'll bet five hundred will get flamed. The truth is ugly. But better to have a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion...

From what I watched of the two videos there was discussion mostly of just AIR AIR AIR.

OK SO WHAT? The amount or air pressure needed to play the highest and loudest of notes within the normal musical range of the trumpet exists in any healthy non brass playing adult. So let's move on to something else.

He talked about an angular motion of the instrument. Fine but is that helpful? Not really. Most any High School trumpet player with a G top of the staff has seen his trumpet move in one direction either up or down when executing intervals. What we're seeing (and i didn't watch all but close to all of two videos) is a nice guy who is trying to help but the major benefit of his discussion was inspirational not clinical.

I've seen another guy who claims "Caruso" really helped him. Charly R. We used to see him post here until the trolls pushed him out. But Charly always had a decent high register even BEFORE he met Caruso. He just needed a little more fine tuning in order to deal with the extreme demands of lead playing.

I expect that this is what happened to Manley. His range of a solid triple C is not an ordinary expectation for the average hard working trumpet player. Something had to be working there first. A mild tune up or unconscious adjustment to physical law and then he really pulled it off. Some trial and error and a few tips that worked well FOR HIM.

Now that's just a guess however I feel justified in what I'm saying because in his video he doesn't really explain a deep, detailed understanding of the physical law/requirements that extreme range production entails.

So he just blows and gets good results. Big deal! Everyone thinks he's a good teacher and that some enlightenment must be derived but sadly there isn't all that much. I'd compare Manley's clinic to when Maynard (bless his soul) told Miles Davis that he "needed to change his stance" in order to play better high notes. We all loved Maynard (and Miles) but the advice is bunk. If you have a DHC you can play it with the worst posture around. Even while standing on your head.

Again, Manley seems like a great guy and trying to help others. I sincerely hope he continues and that others are helped. However to suggest that any major "nuggets" of advice came out of that video is like seeing Mt. Everest in a picture compared to actually climbing it.

Quit being a negative nacy its advice on relaxed playing whether it is stratosphiric or not. And yes norn angle movement is important, it changes how each lip vibrates. I should know because I used to play in a way that significantly hindered my lower lip from vibrating. I fixed and sound a lot better.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeytrpt wrote:
I would think that Bobby has seen these videos by now. Does anybody know him well enough to ask him for his opinion?

I tried learning the wedge, but had trouble keeping my body relaxed. I need to sit with somebody that has it down...I also think Jim and Bobby's methods could be somewhat combined...

Mike,

There's a good explanation on Bobby's website.

To the best of my knowledge, Jim learned it straight from Bobby.

You can also email Bobby Shew from his website.

HTH - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: