• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jim Manley & Airmen of Note lead trpts hang on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the upper body is tight you're doing too much. The explanation is all right there, it's not terribly hard to do. If done well the upper body relaxes as you move air. Tension comes from muscle system fighting muscle system. You might do better with Sam Pilafian's Breathing Gym.
Don Jacoby would say, "Only use the support you need and no more!"
Un-opposed support works, isometric tension moves nothing and makes everything much harder to do.
Bobby's the most efficient player on the planet!!
Listen to how he plays, try getting that in your ear and sound as close to him each day as you can....this works!
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no high note guy, but thanks for posting that video. That was some crazy stuff.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Manley Reply with quote

mfan wrote:
LeeC- What's your beef with Manley?
Jealousy.
mfan wrote:
I'd love to see you put up some vids and show us all how it's done.
Never happen.
mfan wrote:
Then make sure to tell us how you made it work and how we can use it to better our own playing.
He can't.
Haven't you guys learned yet?
Kevin Burns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Jim taught me the wedge breath as he felt it would help me support the sound better with my large-bore horn. The concepts can be combined, but in his normal playing he does not use the wedge breath. He knows it and will use/teach it where it is useful. I believe Jim has met and/or worked with Bobby Shew; there's no rivalry there. I have seen the wedge described wrongly many times, and as I am at best third-generation I am not competent to describe it here. I'll just say that it can be performed without all the excess tension that so many (myself included,especially at first) seem to attribute to it.

As for tension, Jim plays disgustingly relaxed. He takes efficiency to a whole new level. A lesson with him is a revelation.

Thanks to all who have posted with personal experience with Manley. He has such an enthusiam for the trumpet that it's fun just hanging out with him. His iPod is full of the greatest collection of obscure lead trumpet recordings ever!

I'm glad Don mentioned that there's no rivalry with any of this. We're all just trying to learn from each other and pick up little nuggets along the way that can help us improve.

I personally have not had the chance to take a lesson with Bobby, but it's something I've always wanted to do. I know a bunch of fantastic players who have taken with him and the 'proof is in the pudding' as they say. After all this though I'm sure that if I ever get to take with Bobby he'll be saying, "put that camera back in your car!"
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the naysayers here ought to make a better effort to raise the level of human decency expressed. HRD has a way of degenerating into a food fight within a short weekend.

I am not "jealous" of anyone. Passed that stage a long time ago. Strive merely to work in my own enlightened self interest and do the best I can with what I have. Try to anyway.

I do upon occasion send demonstration DVD's to my friends. The critical word here is "friends". People I like in other words.

Those people I do not know or whose company I don't prefer? Well why bother even sending them a Christmas card? I mean really!

When we see a clinic by a great trumpet player we all want to receive that special insider knowledge he has. However most of it was hard work and perseverance. Doing things the average person isn't willing to do.

Can you do twenty pull ups? I can't. Lack the desire and perseverance to push myself that far. And my height may be a problem. At six ft. five inches the leverage in my longer arms puts an added strain on the muscle flesh in my shoulders and biceps. Unfavorable fulcrum compared to a short guy. I also weight a tad more than what i used to.

See what is happening by using that metaphor compared to trumpet playing? I have described a gymnastic or athletic ability rooted in two principles:

1. The honorable ambition to strive to do something the great majority of people can't do. To rise above the fold.

2. A physical limitation that precludes the exercise from being a realistic possibility. Or at least limits the success to a certain degree.

Now were I to lose fifteen to twenty pounds and gradually, systematically increase the amount of strength in those muscles applied to performing pull ups I might one day gain the ability to do twenty pull ups. Maybe anyway. Not a bad idea really. However i suspect that sloth and other interests would have their way and I'd forget about the whole thing within a month. Lack the DESIRE to do twenty pull ups.

I'm also a fairly decent trombone player when i put my mind to it, but again: Don't have the desire to do that either.

Now take someone like Nadia Comaneci in her younger days. Very short arms. Low body weight, excellent physical leverage advantage in her muscles for gymnastic stunts. Even if she didn't condition at all for a year she'd perform more pull ups than if I worked out every day for five years.

Mark Conover used to run 2:13 marathons on a diet of "Twinkies" "Snowballs" and "Carling" beer. True fact. I can understand the Hostess products but not the Carling. Should have switched to Heineken...

Now if I were to have gone to an athletic clinic featuring Conover (who has improved his diet due to an unfortunate problem with cancer long ago) would I have pickd up any real nugget of info that would help me learn to run a 2 hour 13 minute marathon?

No. I might gain a lot of inspiration though. He could refer me me to a good trainer and help with my athletic shoe selection etc. But I'm not going to run a 2:13 marathon. If i ever get my one mile run down under six minutes would consider it a miracle.

I have a fifty year old cousin who can run a five minute mile with no prior physical conditioning at all. Just a light bodied person with excellent slow twitch muscles. After the weather warms up and football season has ended he goes down to the track and clocks a five minute mile. His whole winter being spent watching TV at home or working in an office by day.

Now when we see these really good trumpet players blow extreme high notes well, in tune and musically we naturally and automatically infer that we can eventually learn to do this too based upon some kind of information the great player gives us at his clinic. But can we?

All based upon the insight delivered in an hour long discussion or chat?

When i was much younger I had a mistaken view of my ability as a trumpet player. Thought the reason i couldn't play DHC's all that well or easily was because I "wasn't practicing enough". I think a lot of us blame ourselves for not reaching a certain high note goal within some fixed period of time. This is a natural but unfortunate misunderstanding of physical law as well as a denial of common sense.

We're trying to run that 2:13 marathon but aren't physically equipped to have the ability. We also usually lack the desire to make the sacrifices involved along the way.

With extreme range high note trumpet playing we probably all have the innate capability to figure what to do. Unlike my trying to run a five minute mile. That sure as hell won't happen. However the players who achieve extreme range production and make a career noted for doing this tend to peak early. Like Maynard and Faddis did. Ditto Brisbois and a whole host of noted great players. All hit fantastic high notes before even entering High School. That's a huge advantage folks.

And these greats most likely found their embouchures working well within the natural state of their ordinary facial muscle movements. So they didn't have to fiddle for years and years trying to unlock some element of positioning that allowed the extremely high notes to blow. The way most of us would have to experiment were we to have the sincere desire to so.

After these less gifted players finally arrived at the ability to play controllable scales over three and a half octaves? Well they'd still have to make these newer less natural movements become more automatic. Accuracy, confidence, tuning flexibility to name a few. Subconscious training that can take YEARS! We are at a hell of a disadvantage compared to the person who "gets it" in the eight grade...

The majority of us would have to work with unnatural movements the same way a right handed drummer learns to do everything with his left hand he can do with his right.

Sure a few of the great high note trumpet players had some problems from time to time, but what fixed then was only a minor tune up. Not the major over haul a lot of players will need to go through if they ever want to "sit' on a DHC.

Last edited by LeeC on Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other great nugget in there, one commonality of great advice you would also find from guys like Mark Van Cleave and Frank Minear, is learning to relax, avoid the tightening up, visa vie that low breath and low syllable example of the breath, not raising up and tightening up your upper body, smaller aperature, all usually accomplished with more relaxed breathing and in the Minear and Van Cleave stuff also moderate volume practice to get the aperature smaller, but achieving huge sound with less effort and less air expended through pure and resonant vibrations. Great technique, relaxed and correct approach beat brute force any day of the week, plus it just feels better to play that way.

That light, or these ideas, principles, coming on can make a difference, certainly did for me and some other players I know.

I thought the video was informative and I see some of the similar approaches in thoughts shared by Van Cleave and Minear, among a few others over the years, and I for one can say it works, it sure did help me and some other folks I know. Good stuff.
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel
Asian Man
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Jim is a dry player?
7 rims (Curry)
www.myspace.com/whistlingbarofsoap
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the explanation for why "relaxed shoulders, neck, back etc" would help to allow extreme range production?

Please be specific.

Define the physical characteristics involved here. Remember: The adult, healthy non trumpet playing person probably has the capacity to create enough PSI within his body to sustain any high note within what most people would consider the musical range of the trumpet.

If so, why should relaxed shoulders directly contribute to loud high note production? Even if some of the effort is wasted through unconscious and unnecessary muscular contraction?

My guess is if the matter is accurate to any significant degree (probably is) it is related simply to reducing the physical energy expense of tensing unnecessary muscles. That unproductive tension could reduce over all endurance and pull other muscles out of alignment from an embouchure perspective.

However baring that last qualification it would be quite possible for someone to engage in an extreme tension in the muscles of his body NOT directly related to high note production and still pull off an impressive register. Obviously it would be desirable to eliminate unneeded energy. But the removal of that tension wouldn't be a specific criteria for high range production.

The real reason for high range notes being played easily would involve a far more in depth analysis than just saying: "Relax your shoulders" Or as Maynard said; "Improve your stance".

Empty phrases both of them. They sound cool but don't mean anything of significance. Not when you give the matter even minimal thought.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over-analysis can lead to paralysis.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeytrpt wrote:
Over-analysis can lead to paralysis.

Care to give us an opposing view of why the Earth isn't really a sphere?

"Most all academic texts describe world as being round. Some scientists disagree. We report, you decide".
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeC wrote:
What would be the explanation for why "relaxed shoulders, neck, back etc" would help to allow extreme range production?

Whenever ANY muscle is tense (contracted) the muscle next to it is under a small amount of tension too.

Tight chest, neck, shoulders.... tend to close the throat which only makes notes SOFTER and sound strained.

Losing unneeded tension is a step toward being a more efficient player.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother to read all the drivel...but guess I saw that Nadia
Comenici could play a double C?
LeeC wrote:
Strive merely to work in my own enlightened self interest and do the best I can with what I have. Try to anyway.
Commendable...stick to that and there's no problem. But when you degrade another player, you are doing more to lower the level of human decency yourself.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
LeeC wrote:
Strive merely to work in my own enlightened self interest and do the best I can with what I have. Try to anyway.
Commendable...stick to that and there's no problem. But when you degrade another player, you are doing more to lower the level of human decency yourself.

To the best of my knowledge I haven't done that on this thread. Nor in any other unless that person surely deserved it.

I have merely pointed out that certain elements of Mr. Manley's presentation that could use a little qualification. You inferred that I was dissing him when remarking that I didn't see any "golden nuggets" of info designed to explain how to easily play the notes above double C (from Manley's video). In fact i didn't seen any of these at all (none can be seen in the videos) as much as I watched of it.

Show one area where Mr. Manley explains in depth how any trumpet player can recreate a sustainable F above Triple C just by watching the video.

He doesn't. And maybe that isn't his purpose. Still I feel strongly that he was doing a good thing by filming his student's lesson.

Never-the-less the average aspiring trumpet player will watch the video and upon seeing Manley's exceptional ability will apply characteristics of the video to which are completely imaginary. There is not one single reference to anything in the film that could possibly help the average trumpet player learn to easily blow the notes in excess of DHC.

I imagine there are general characteristics of playing that would be useful over all. However the average player will attribute some magical element ot Manley's instruction that just isn't there.

What did i learn from the brass clinics of Bill Chase and Maynard (RIP)?

Chase: "Excessive arm pressure is not the way".

Ferguson: "It's all in your breathing and your stance".

How helpful are these remarks? A little beneficial. And it was wonderful to meet them men especially since like all of us their time on earth was limited.

But again I've again pointed out the ugly truth: The emperor has no clothes.

An ugly truth being better than a comfortable delusion.

Think of it this way: There are six BILLION human inhabitants of this planet. When a truth first gets printed it will be attacked along with the carrier. Copernicus was nearly executed. However sooner or later other people will come along to the same conclusion. It's the law of averages.

Believe I'm a fairly smart person but also recognize there are brainier people in this world. Many of them. I know because they can kick my butt at online chess.

No one is so bright that they are the only source of a truth. People catch on to it down the road. None of us are unique that way. So the ugly truths of today will eventually become the old news of tomorrow.

Sometimes though it feels like beating a dead horse. People who continually feel exempt from the laws of physics simply because they pick up a trumpet and describe what they think they do with it. all the "tongue arch", "range with just air" "trumpet playing no harder than deep breathing"

All bunk.
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee

In all respect, I disagree. He may not explain it as thoroughly as you want, but some nuggets in there like keeping the aperature smaller, that helping and enabling him to play smaller mouthpieces is one thing.

Playing relaxed and not over filling or over blowing is another.

Both of which are significantly helpful all over the horn, not just in high note playing.

A further explanation could include, but not be limited to, doing soft to moderate volume practicing to develop that smaller aperature. Frank Minear and Mark Van Cleave and some others have done that to help get people thinking of less volume of air through the chops can equal a smallet aperature, thus helping with higher frequency vibrations, and that if you are getting clear vibrations, resonant intonation, the result is it will cary and cut much better, appear much louder, than a ton of brute force or overblowing, which can spread the aperature further apart, a not so ideal set up for extreme high notes.

So maybe not all the explanation appears to be so obvious, but knowing what he is doing, and being an advocate from my own personal experience, he is spot on. At any rate, if people want to tune more into those principles he is talking about I would recommend either The Frank Minear method, or Mark Van Cleave's books.

The nuggets are there, further explantion can be found in either of those methods.
www.richwetzel.com

Last edited by groovinhigher on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
richardwy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:

You can hang your ears on it!
Kevin Burns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the third time - this is not about high notes! It's about efficiency and relaxation.

Jim is not trying to explain how to play high on any of those videos, which I took and edited from the perspective of 3 professionals hanging out and talking trumpet. This was not a formal lesson. A fun time was had by all!

Thanks again Jim for the great hang! Sorry, I've subjected you to the abuse. I think you'll get alot of requests for lessons though from those who are discovering you for the first time. And those that can't come to St. Louis have a little piece of you on the web that they can go back and absorb a wealth of great ideas from.

I can only wish that I could have access to the minds of such great players through these forums and online videos when I was younger.

Some folks on these forums would do much better at:

www.bittercritic.com

www.naysayers.com

Thank you! I'll be here all night. Try the veal!
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, don't let people like Lee get your goat. You are the one working world-wide in one of the greatest big bands in existance. While I have not yet met Jim in person, I know enough about him to know that he does not give a rat's a** what Lee C thinks. Thanks again for posting a the video of a great hang (not a lesson, as Lee stated).

Keep up the great work!

M.
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeytrpt wrote:
Kevin, don't let people like Lee get your goat. You are the one working world-wide in one of the greatest big bands in existance. While I have not yet met Jim in person, I know enough about him to know that he does not give a rat's a** what Lee C thinks. Thanks again for posting a the video of a great hang (not a lesson, as Lee stated).

Keep up the great work!

M.

Kevin:

Thank you so much. If not for your post where would us average guys ever get a chance to see something like that? Probably not anywhere but through this forum.

Thanks and I hope you keep posting!!!

Don Lee
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

groovinhigher wrote:
Lee

In all respect, I disagree. He may not explain it as thoroughly as you want, but some nuggets in there like keeping the aperture smaller, that helping and enabling him to play smaller mouthpieces is one thing.

Playing relaxed and not over filling or over blowing is another.

Both of which are significantly helpful to high note playing.

A further explanation could include, but not be limited to, doing soft to moderate volume practicing to develop that smaller aperture. Frank Minear and Mark Van Cleave and some others have done that to help get people thinking of less volume of air through the chops can equal a smallet aperature, thus helping with higher frequency vibrations, and that if you are getting clear vibrations, resonant intonation, the result is it will cary and cut much better, appear much louder, than a ton of brute force or overblowing, which can spread the aperture further apart, a not so ideal set up for extreme high notes.

So maybe not all the explanation appears to be so obvious, but knowing what he is doing, and being an advocate from my own personal experience, he is spot on. At any rate, if people want to tune more into those principles he is talking about I would recommend either The Frank Minear method, or Mark Van Cleave's books.

The nuggets are there, further explanation can be found in either of those methods.

Here's what is happening: A number of people are making an incorrect INFERENCE about two things.

1. They think I'm dissing Mr. Manley in spite of my having never once mentioning anything but praise for him.

2. They are believing there is some magical instructional element in the video that just isn't there. View it again. It's simply not there! Other than the inspirational value of viewing a great player in the room. There's always something positive to that.

All I've done is to mention that it's great that Manley continues to reach out to other players. But I have also said that his directions to "reduce tension" add up to about the same value as:

Maynard saying "It's all in your breathing and your stance. The way you support your body with your feet".

Bill Chase: "Arm pressure is not the way".

Now are these useful statements? Kind of, but do they really say that much? No they don't. There's nothing wrong with people saying these things. However for the reader to attribute some magical element to the obvious is odd. Predictable perhaps but all seems very strange to me.
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, you may feel there is no substance there, but I for one, can tell you, in my very humble opinion, there is if you get what he is pointing out and apply it. In particular the smaller aperature and relaxed approach.

I am sure everyone is sincere and respectful and as such, not dissing anyone, I just would leave my comment or opinion there is substance and something tangible there, that does in fact work and produce results.

You both deserve respect for your own takes on things, but again, I believe there is some substance to what he says in that video as I personally have used that same explanation to great effect for my own playing and students alike.
www.richwetzel.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: