• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do you do with a .485 bore?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuyler1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: What do you do with a .485 bore? Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300180075201&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

This looks like a very interesting part of Conn history. It's called a Circus Bore. Is this something you could play in a concert band or what?

I imagine that without the right mouthpiece it would feel like playing a tuba (after coming from a ML bore trumpet).
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the more common Conn cornets had a .485 bore, including the 1960's Directors. I own a '63 Conn 5A Victor cornet, which also has a .485 bore, and it plays about the same as most ML bore horns I have. Maybe a slight bit more air is required, and maybe it plays loudly a little easier, but all in all, it's just a good-playing horn. I'd guess no one could tell it was that large just by playing it, though.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're nice horns. Don't be put off by the bore size, it's just one component of how the horn plays. I wouldn't mind getting one for myself.

pat
chuyler1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. That horn is a real looker and it appears the seller does a good job photographing and preparing his horns for sale. I may just have to place a bid on it tomorrow if the price stays reasonable. The Conn Loyalist website doesn't have great things to say about the "New Wonder" series but this one was apparently perfected after the original design was lost in a fire. It might be a fun horn to play.
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do with a .485 bore? Reply with quote

chuyler1 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300180075201&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020

This looks like a very interesting part of Conn history. It's called a Circus Bore. Is this something you could play in a concert band or what?

I imagine that without the right mouthpiece it would feel like playing a tuba (after coming from a ML bore trumpet).

I have one of these wonderful cornets and so does Jeff.
I play in a concert band but I do not use the Conn circus bore cornet in it very often.
IMHO the Conn circus bore cornet does not play like a tuba, the blow does not have as much open feeling to it as you might think.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuyler1 wrote:
Thanks guys. That horn is a real looker and it appears the seller does a good job photographing and preparing his horns for sale. I may just have to place a bid on it tomorrow if the price stays reasonable. The Conn Loyalist website doesn't have great things to say about the "New Wonder" series but this one was apparently perfected after the original design was lost in a fire. It might be a fun horn to play.

Yes, this is a post fire horn, the "real" Conn circus bore cornet if you will, notice the horizontal tubing in-between the valves. This particular horn is in excellent shape.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuyler1 wrote:
...it appears the seller does a good job photographing and preparing his horns for sale....
Yes, I was watching the 16A "slide" cornet with interest---over $550 and reserve not met, though...

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do with a .485 bore? Reply with quote

chuyler1 wrote:
This looks like a very interesting part of Conn history. It's called a Circus Bore.

"Circus bore" is a nickname...better to refer to it by its model and make. The one I have is a 1909 Perfected Wonder.

It plays a little big, but not like you'd expect. You can roar on it if you've got the right mouthpiece.

The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a pinky ring for the right hand. I'd use this more often for small group trad stuff if it was easier to use a plunger.

$550 is pretty pricey.
rolling360
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: big Reply with quote

Blow really hard and hope you dont pass a lung!
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: wat 2 do Reply with quote

Sell, or play a mp w a #30 throat
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do with a .485 bore? Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
chuyler1 wrote:
This looks like a very interesting part of Conn history. It's called a Circus Bore.

"Circus bore" is a nickname...better to refer to it by its model and make. The one I have is a 1909 Perfected Wonder

Re:

Wonder = pre fire conn horns

Conn's fire was in 1910

New Invention = post fire conn horns

The pre fire horns have 45 degree angle slanted tubing between the valves, and the post fire horns have horizontal tubing inbetween the valves.

Not all perfected wonder models are 485 bore, but many like Jeff's horn are 485 bore. All post fire new invention redesigned horns are 485 bore, that is why all post fire horns are called circus bore horns. One could also make the argument that Jeff's 485 bore new wonder cornet is a circus bore cornet.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bore size, in and of itself, is no indicator of how a horn plays.

Measuring horns at any given point only means you can measure.

The true test is to actually PLAY the darn thing . . . and any great trumpet or cornet should be judged by how it plays. The great ones play . . . err . . . GREAT, whether the bore size that made it play great is .430 or .485.

Conn horns that have a specific bore size ended up that way simply because that's what WORKED best on that model.

Hope that makes sense! Why would a big company do it any other way!

Food for thought.

Tom
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh,

I thought Tom T. would have given advice on how to hand load a .485 bore This forum is definitely slipping!

Season's Best to you Sir,

Brian
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been eyeballing that perfected wonder and thinking it might be a really good horn.(?) Any owners got a review? Or A/B of
wonder vs. new wonder?
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do with a .485 bore? Reply with quote

mcahynuacrkd wrote:
All post fire new invention redesigned horns are 485 bore, that is why all post fire horns are called circus bore horns. One could also make the argument that Jeff's 485 bore new wonder cornet is a circus bore cornet.

It's not a New Wonder, it's a Perfected Wonder.

I doubt you'll find any Conn literature referring to these as "circus bore" horns.

Cutesy nicknames aside, the bottom line is that the horn doesn't feel huge.
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of advice: these cornets do not take modern Bach-style cornet mouthpieces, different shank. I would advise you to find a mouthpiece that matches the shank of the original included with the instrument (or have the shank copied to your favorite mouthpiece by Kanstul) or if it doesn't have a mouthpiece to pick up a period Conn mouthpiece and then do the same. These mouthpieces come up on eBay regularly; look for something like "Conn Wonder" or "Conn Levi" or something in that style.

Regards, Christine
chuyler1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Christine...I won the auction at $560 so the next step is to find a mouthpiece as I'm not sure the instrument comes with one.
chuyler1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got the instrument today (it arrived while I was on vacation so I had to have FedEx hold it for me).

It didn't come with a mouthpiece but I took it to Osmun Music in Arlington Mass and a standard Bach 3C cornet mouthpiece fits almost perfectly. There was a little wiggle but the guy said it would go away after I played it a while.

The horn sounds great and the valves move pretty well for an instrument that is almost 100 years old. I left it with Osmun to have it cleaned (although the seller claimed it was chemically cleaned, Osmun said it could use a good cleaning inside and out). He was intrigued by the instrument and we verified that it is in fact a .485 bore.

Large, but not as free-blowing as you might expect. In fact, it felt a little more restrictive than my Bach 72*. I can't wait to get it back so I can have more fun with it.
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do with a .485 bore? Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
mcahynuacrkd wrote:
All post fire new invention redesigned horns are 485 bore, that is why all post fire horns are called circus bore horns. One could also make the argument that Jeff's 485 bore new wonder cornet is a circus bore cornet.

It's not a New Wonder, it's a Perfected Wonder.

I doubt you'll find any Conn literature referring to these as "circus bore" horns.

Cutesy nicknames aside, the bottom line is that the horn doesn't feel huge.

My bad, sorry Jeff, thats right, Perfected Wonder.

Jeff is also right about the horn not feeling huge, I agree.

Interestingly is that lately by choice I am not playing the New Invention as much as I am playing the pre Conn Limited (1914?) gold plated Victor 80 a now that we had the valves on the Victor 80 a completely rebuilt. Christine I beleive ours is the smaller 474 bore , it is very mellow but with a lead trumpet style mp will really pack a punch when pushed, even more so than the new invention it seems.
chuyler1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think the Bach 3C is a good match for this horn or should I look into something else?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: