• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What do you do with a .485 bore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd recommend a short shank cornet mouthpiece for that horn. It will play better, for it was designed for a shorter mouthpiece . . . and one with a little deeper cup. If you MUST stick with a Bach, find a 5A . . . a real cornet mouthpiece (that gives a non-trumpet-like, real cornet sound) vs. the C cup types which are basically a trumpet top on a cornet shank.

Both Curry and Flip Oakes offer vintage cornet mouthpiece lines that would work well with your horn, as well as the more common and longer standard-length cornet versions.

Both brands sound great, although Flip's cups are more radically V-shaped like the original type mouthpieces of the 1900-1920 period and, IMHO, thus they sound a like more authentic.

Warburton also makes short shank cornet backbores and excellent cornet tops that will give you a great CORNET sound from your new (for you) Conn cornet.

The .485 bore is a non-issue. Conn used that particular bore only because it worked best with that particular model! Makers understand that horns that don't play their best ain't gonna sell and Conn surely make valve clusters with quite a few bore sizes that could have been used but didn't work as well!

Tom
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord

Last edited by mcahynuacrkd on Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcahynuacrkd wrote:
chuyler1 wrote:
So do you think the Bach 3C is a good match for this horn or should I look into something else?

Wow, excellent advice Tom, thanks for your great ideas.

Yes, I think that a Bach 3 c is a great place to start with this horn, make sure that the shank size will fit??? Perhaps try some of Toms great ideas.

Then later if you want to try some other mp's to fine tune the sound that you are loking for.

I perfer a Parduba 6 but that is unusual I guess compared to what most people are playing on. When I have the $$ I think I will try a few Curry cornet mouthpieces with this cornet. Curry is excellent. The Parduba 6 is very reliable.

Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
chuyler1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the horn back yesterday, just in time for rehearsal. I went with the Bach 3C which fits pretty well. At first I thought it was going to wiggle a little but it set in after playing for a minute.

Despite the large bore, it has more back pressure than my Bach Strat 72*. So anyone worried about going from a ML trumpet to a L cornet need not. The sound is very warm and it takes more effort to play forte which tires my diaphram. I notice the most difference between trumpet and cornet at forte between 4th space E and C above the staff. The 72* has a brilliant bright sound that cuts through the entire band while the cornet simply produces a full rich sound. I should record both for reference. Another note is that I must play A above the staff with 3rd valve (1-2 is very high).

And that brings me to another question about the slides that came with the instrument. I assumed they are for A and Bb and the shorter ones are for Bb? However, to get the instrument in tune I had to pull the tuning slide out 2"! Does that mean I should be using the longer tuning slide instead? If so, what is the point of giving me the shorter one? Any help on this would be appreciated.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuyler1 wrote:

. . . And that brings me to another question about the slides that came with the instrument. I assumed they are for A and Bb and the shorter ones are for Bb? However, to get the instrument in tune I had to pull the tuning slide out 2"! Does that mean I should be using the longer tuning slide instead? If so, what is the point of giving me the shorter one? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Hi,

Your assumption was wrong. BOTH complete sets of slides are for keying the horn in Bb!

Lots of horns still being played in the early 1900s were made in the middle/late 1800s when the pitch of notes was higher. Back in the late 1800s concert A was generally pitched up to about A=452Hz . . . nearly a half step higher than today's lower A=440Hz.

Thus, early 1900 horns HAD to come with dual sets of slides. The shorter slides where used when playing in bands where the instruments were mainly the high pitched ones. The longer slides were played when the band tuned to A=440Hz.

Indeed, if you use the shorter slides today the horn WILL be VERY sharp on the open notes . . . and really out of tune on all the valve combinations too!

So, save the short slides for conversational purposes when showing off that gorgeous cornet . . . and use ONLY the longer slides so you can play in modern pitch!

HOW TO TUNE THE HORN TO "A"

To play the horns back then in A, many horns had adjustable stop rods (similar to today's third valve stop rods) on their large tuning slides. These rods were adjusted after experimentation so the player could quickly slide the big tuning slide out to lower the horn a full half step.

One your new cornet, the stop rod is on the lower tuning slide. Generally, this tuning slide was kept pushed ALL THE WAY IN, and ONLY pulled out to do a quick-change of pitch to A.

The OTHER tuning slide (that slides into the leadpipe) is actually the main tuning slide on the horn, and it is with this one that you make your routine pitch adjustments!

Additionally, some makers put small grooved "rings" on their valve slides so you could pull each of those the correct corresponding amount also when playing in "A," so that all valve combination notes would be in tune too! This is because if you lower the pitch of the open pitched notes, one must lower the valved notes in proper mathematical ratio too!!!

So, if you ever play the horn in "A," look to see if your valve tubes have a ring (or groove) around them in the part of the tube that disappears when the tubes are pushed in. If so, this will take the guesswork out of properly tuning each valve combination to make the horn sound great in A.

Enjoy!

Tom

Last edited by tom turner on Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may very well have a high pitch horn, if you have to pull the slide out that far. A C type cup may add to the sharpness, as it has been noted in several posts previously, those horns were designed to play with the mouthpieces of the day, which were similar to today's flugel mouthpieces in the cup and throat. Try a typical Denis Wick mpc and see if that helps.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if you'll pull up the ebay link, you can see that the original poster's new horn comes with the full "kit" in the case . . . complete with dual sets of slides for low and high pitch Bb.

Trying to pull the high pitch tuning slide out would have been severe and the horn would have had horrible intonation when the valved combinations were used too . . . unless all the valve slides were pulled out the correct amounts too. In the case of the second valve slide, there wouldn't have been enough inner tube engaged to assure proper compression seal.

CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS . . . that's one gorgeous Circus Bore cornet!

Here's an example:

T.
chuyler1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! That is the exact answer I was looking for. The other tuning slide is about 1.5" longer than the one in the horn now (as seen in the photo). I was able to play reasonably in tune during rehearsal but I noticed if I tuned for the open horn A above the staff is very sharp, D and C# at the bottom of the staff were very sharp. Anyway, I will swap the slides and go with that. ...and yes the horn is very beautiful. The bell is almost perfect while the body had wear marks in typical spots and it looks as though the lower pipe coming off the tuning slide was resoldered. I'm not disappointed though because it sounds great and is a joy to play.

As for MPCs, I wish I had time to try some different ones before purchasing the 3C but when I picked up the horn, Osmun didn't have any other options in stock that were similar to the ones everyone was suggesting. I guess I'll have to go to a bigger music store or take a chance by ordering something online. I am keeping my eye out for a vintage MPC on eBay too.
broken cello orchestra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Conn 485 bore cornet Reply with quote

I have one of these large bore Conn Shooting Starts; I have a half dozen of relatively inexpensive student cornets and this one is by far MY FAVORITE. I'm able to get better intonation with a very easy open feel. I play it with a big cornet mouthpiece, Schilke 24 or Bach 1A.
Besson key of F alto horn
Dynasty key of G mellophone
Yamaha key of F mellophone
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can tell Wild Thing players that their horns are just medium-large bore in comparison...
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, .485" bore Conn cornets are what all the cool kids are playing. Add some Coprion parts and the wow factor is multiplied...

Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What do you do with a .485 bore"??

Put a trombone mouthpiece in it, and call it a day!!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Connstellation 38A short cornet, which has the .485 bore. It has an absolutely gigantic sound, but it is tiring to play for extended periods of time. I've never heard another horn that sounded like it.

These days for cornet I'm favoring my 1936 King Master, which is something like half the weight and a much friendlier .459 bore for maximum efficiency and a hot "burn" on the sound when you push it. Fun horn.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love LB cornets but I don't have iron chops so I use a pair of Purviance pieces with tight bbore to manage my .464 eterna and my .485 Conn 81A.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing my Conn 9A on a Bach 3 (no letter) mouthpiece and it's working out great. Using a brass band-style mouthpiece with a huge throat on the Conn is like blowing into nothing, so the 27 throat on the Bach gives a bit of relief and feedback. The cup is deep enough to produce a nice cornet tone (and the horn helps ), but not so deep that endurance suffers. The rim is comfortable to me, too, so I'm pleased.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I have a Connstellation 38A short cornet, which has the .485 bore. It has an absolutely gigantic sound, but it is tiring to play for extended periods of time. I've never heard another horn that sounded like it.

Ditto! To my ears it has tons of core, and I do think the nickel plate affects the sound too. (I have 3 nickel plated horns, and they all share a certain something) I play a Curry TC cup with it, to further unique-ify the sound of it, since that mpc also has tons of core.

I've never played it so much as to tire out - maybe I should correct that problem ...
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Conn 80A, .485 circus bore that I love, and a couple of old Conn mpcs do the trick. That thing is like a pool drain.

ed
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've got a very nice 1939 80A (.485) that plays much tighter than my .470 Wild Thing short cornet.

As I've said many times, bore size in and of itself is meaningless. It is the sum of the parts that makes a horn play "right." I can be a medium bore like a lot of the Kings, or small bore, large, or whatever. When it all comes together right on a great specimen, it is magical!
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a joke! Tom is of course 100% correct however. I had a LB Besson, several LB Bachs with the 25 bell, and a Harrelson, all of which played more "open" than my multiple Wild Things.
fabiopereirabr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Turkle wrote:

Ditto! To my ears it has tons of core, and I do think the nickel plate affects the sound too. (I have 3 nickel plated horns, and they all share a certain something) I play a Curry TC cup with it, to further unique-ify the sound of it, since that mpc also has tons of core.

I've never played it so much as to tire out - maybe I should correct that problem ...

Hi! That was my choice too! I've tried some big throat mouthpieces and It doesn't work on my 38A but the curry 7TC is just a perfect match.. I like also the connstellations cornet mouthpiece with the C cup.. Man.. what an instrument!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: