• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Celebration vs Yamaha Artist NY vs 8335LA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Flip Oakes Celebration vs Yamaha Artist NY vs 8335LA Reply with quote

Anyone played all of them? Which would be more suitable for symphonic and quintet playing? Thanks.

David
Morbo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a weird question since only the NY is made for symphonic playing. The other two are jazz horns.
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbo wrote:
That's a weird question since only the NY is made for symphonic playing. The other two are jazz horns.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. So have you played all three of them?

David
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found his response to be be perfectly reasonable. You asked for a comparison of the three horns, no?
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
trptdaddy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:
I found his response to be be perfectly reasonable. You asked for a comparison of the three horns, no?

Yes, I did. I've read that all three horns are very versatile. I was hoping for critique of how versatile they were by those who have tried them, rather than how they are being marketed presently. That's not much of a comparison.

Chase Sanborn has said of the Yamaha NY: "The New York Bb has proven to be popular with jazz players as well as classical players. Marvin Stamm and Sean Jones both love this horn. It has a well-balanced sound that works in a variety of settings. " And as to the Yamaha Chicago, which I consider, after playing them both, to be even more "symphonic" than the New York, Chase says: "Initially I thought I would settle on the LA. My playing requirements are diverse and the LA covers all bases equally well. In the end, though, I chose the Chicago."

So, based on the reviews, I was trying to get by the marketing hype of what they were "intended for" and see if anyone really knew. I have played both Yamahas for a little bit and an 8335LA very briefly. I have not played the Celebration but have heard good things about it.

David

Edit: My original question as to "which one" was probably too narrow. Let me rephrase: "who has played all three and would all of them be suitable for symphonic and quintet playing?"
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbo wrote:

Actually, I thought the Celebration was an all around horn the some have described as the "ultimate Bach".

Don Lee
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Lee wrote:
Morbo wrote:

Actually, I thought the Celebration was an all around horn the some have described as the "ultimate Bach".

Don Lee

Not the Celebration....that was me describing my NY

Walter
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Yamaha-Wild Thing-8335LA Reply with quote

I own the Yamaha NYS model, but I have played the others.

LA-Nice horn but to spread a sound for my taste. I think it might work better with a tighter backbore and smaller mouthpiece.

Wild Thing-I have only played this model and it plays great but again the sound is to spread for my taste. I think it would be a great solo instrumment. Again I think this model works best with a smaller tighter mouthpiece

9335NYS-Like I said I own this horn and I think it is a great all around horn. Not as spread a sound as the other 2 but plays open with the Malone leadpipe. This horn till sounds great with a larger mouthpiece. I don't mean huge, like a Bach 3C.
Jim
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not throw the Scodwell in the mix as well?
Morbo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptdaddy wrote:
Morbo wrote:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer. So have you played all three of them?

David

I have, and personally own the NY. The bore was way to big on the Flip horn for me to make the symphonic sound I wanted. The LA was very nice, and if I was in a jazz band, I would likely use that one. But I'm not, so I won't.
janet842
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha-Wild Thing-8335LA Reply with quote

bebop wrote:
Wild Thing-I have only played this model and it plays great but again the sound is to spread for my taste.

The Wild Thing and the Celebration are two entirely different instruments. I have played my Celebration in a brass quintet, a church orchestra, a community symphony and as a solo instrument. It is an exceptionally versatile trumpet. The Wild Thing is a lead horn and, though I love it for soloing, the Celebration is preferred in the groups I play in. How do I know this? I took both horns to rehearsals and let the conductors choose.

I'm sorry to say that I have not played the other horns. I just wanted to make it clear that all the Flip Oakes horns are not just the Wild Thing relabeled under a different name. They are all very different.

Janet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: