• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen external 2. And Getzen sevrinson externa

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Getzen external 2. And Getzen sevrinson externa Reply with quote

Can someone give me some insight on the difference between these 2 horns.

Are they similar and are they considered intermediate too pro level .

Really looking for a Schille b5 but a bit out of my price range. Miss my Calicchio 1s7 also.

And last but not least , insight to a good but inexpensive Holton MF horn. Just how these all stack up

Had a Stomvi S3 and the Calicchio and miss them but was wondering about a bit less expensive horn that is still a great player. Should never have sold those 2 horns but my playing at the time pretty much sucked IMO.
Not a pro like a lot of you , just a 57 comeback, comeback, doing a lot of Irons and Clarkes currently.

Currently on a Conn 6 B

Thanks
Mark
I know this threads all over so thanks for putting up with me !
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of the Getzen Externa. Perhaps you meant Getzen Eterna?
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea pretty bad typo . That's what I meant.
Thank you
Tried to edit but can't seem to

Mark
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambien posting is bad.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
Ambien posting is bad.

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Getzen Eterna Severinsen is a fantastic horn. It's generally thought of as a bright "lead" instrument and you can peel paint with it but with the right mouthpiece will do anything you want it to do. Doc of course played one for many years though it's said that the horns he personally played had a Bach bell grafted onto them. If true I think this has more to do with Doc's idiosyncrasies than that there's anything wrong with stock Getzen bells. The lore is that at times when there was a problem with Doc's personal horn he would visit a nearby Getzen dealer and pick up a stock horn and use it.

Something to watch out for is red rot in the leadpipe which many of them exhibit if the owner wasn't conscientious about cleaning it regularly. The leadpipe can be replaced of course.

If you get one make sure the valves are in good condition and again the leadpipe. Both can be remedied but it costs money. There are examples in various conditions available on Ebay all the time.

There was an Eterna II that was made after Doc left made to different specs - I've never played one, I've heard they're not as good as the Severinsen.

The current model Eterna 900 Classic is supposedly a reproduction of the original Severinsen but I've seen people in here say the dimensions aren't exactly the same. The leadpipe I have on my old Severinsen is one made for a modern Eterna Classic, plays fine. Supposedly they're made off the original mandrels. The finger hook is different but dimensionally they're supposed to be the same. I've never had it measured to confirm this.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

There was an Eterna II that was made after Doc left made to different specs - I've never played one, I've heard they're not as good as the original.

The Eterna (Severinson, 900 and Classic) is a professional model whose specs are somewhat below their newer high-end professional models.

The Eterna II is a level below the Eterna, but nevertheless a great horn. According to Mary Rima at Getzen:

"The ETERNA II (formerly ETERNA) 700S, which is an intermediate/semi-pro model. The 700S ETERNA II remains the same except an updated 3rd slide stop mechanism, as the 700S ETERNA. We revamped the product line and the 700S went to the ETERNA II line up in approx. 2001. The 700S specs stayed the same (except the 3rd slide stop)."
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 900's lead pipe is nickel silver, red rot shouldn't be a problem with normal preventive maintenance.

It's a great light horn. My student horn was a late 60's Bach Mercedes. When I picked the hobby up again, I got a killer deal on a new 900. Like the difference between a DC-3 and an F-15.
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me, but that title is one of the funniest examples of Malapropism I have run into in a LONG time Thanks!

In the future, please be more pacific...but perhaps you were under the affluence of alcohol?

Mrs. Malaprop would have been proud!
tvknight415
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I’ve heard, the 900 Eterna would probably be the ‘more-similar’ to a Schilke, as they’re both lighter weight horns. The 700 E2 is a heavier horn. Don’t discount the Eterna II though - it’s a good horn too (probably one of the best bang-for-your-buck horns new). If you do consider a 700, there are a couple of different models (Eterna II, SP) so definitely watch for the E2.
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Yea it wasnt ambien or ETOH. I work nights and was in a bit of hurry dealing with the above in a hospital , but im glad i could shsre a few smiles, even though i feel pretty dumb. How stupid of me
Thanks
Mark
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

I have owned two Severinsens over the years; one of them is my main horn presently. The old Sev's really are fine trumpets, if you can find a good one. I have lots of confidence in mine.

I have also owned a 900 Eterna Classic. It, too, was a fine trumpet. However, the space between the bottom of the bell tube and the top of the third valve slide seemed to me to be shorter than that space on my Sev's . The Sev's are more comfortable for me to play. My left hand was a little crowded when playing my Classic. I am just an average 6' tall guy and my hands are not unusually large.

Jim
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boog wrote:
Forgive me, but that title is one of the funniest examples of Malapropism I have run into in a LONG time Thanks!

In the future, please be more pacific...but perhaps you were under the affluence of alcohol?

Mrs. Malaprop would have been proud!

Getzen is very proud of their American made instruments. However, I seem to remember hearing that they have reserved the trademark “Externa” just in case they decide to import from overseas.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:

There was an Eterna II that was made after Doc left made to different specs - I've never played one, I've heard they're not as good as the Severinsen.

The Eterna II or Eterna 700S is a complete differend horn than the (Severinsen) Eterna 900:

-the 700S has another wrap
-the 700S is not as free blowing as the 900
-the 700S has another bell flare

I played them both, a Severinsen 900, a Eterna 900 from the 80's and 700S.

The 900's have been sold, the 700S is my workhorse: I use her in symphony orchestra's as well in pop bands. To me it is a very good instrument, the easyest playing instrument I ever posessed
boog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark61 wrote:
Thanks for the help. Yea it wasnt ambien or ETOH. I work nights and was in a bit of hurry dealing with the above in a hospital , but im glad i could shsre a few smiles, even though i feel pretty dumb. How stupid of me
Thanks
Mark

Hey Mark, I wasn't calling you stupid. We all type things wrong and have lapses in our proofreading. Don't worry about it! It WAS funny, but no reflection on your intelligence or grammatical skills!

I have a 900S Severinsen that I got from a pawn shop as basically a basket case..it is from 1965 and STILL plays great! My taste in trumpets has changed, and now I favor heavier, less bright sounding horns, but these old 900's still play very well, and make great lead/jazz horns. they just "sing" in your hands. Back in about 1970 I bought my first C trumpet, an Eterna 900, and it played very well indeed. I used it in Symphony for several years. Wish I still had it, but you know the drill...I still have the little plastic doohickey that went on the 3rd valve slide of that horn. Got it on the Sev...

Best wishes!
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
However, I seem to remember hearing that they have reserved the trademark “Externa” just in case they decide to import from overseas.

I would rather chop off both arms than have something made by another company with my name on it. Besides a Gortzen Extrna doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam R. Getzen wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
However, I seem to remember hearing that they have reserved the trademark “Externa” just in case they decide to import from overseas.

I would rather chop off both arms than have something made by another company with my name on it. Besides a Gortzen Extrna doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

Adam, I sincerely apologize if I offended you.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Adam R. Getzen wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Adam, I sincerely apologize if I offended you.
You didn’t.
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok Boog , i'm glad i could make you laugh.
Really just wanted to know if the Sevrinson model is a better horn than the other.

Best
mark
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 15 years ago, before I knew about trumpet forums or researching horns on the web, I had an old LA Calicchio. It was unusual, with a tuning bell. But it was also ratty, with patches and leaky valves. I went to a well-known brass store with it, and found a used Getzen Eterna. Not knowing better, I assumed it was a Severinsen, and they happily took my Calicchio as an even trade.

I did eventually find out the Eterna was a 700 level and in my ignorance, didn't make such a good deal. It was a pretty good horn, though, in much better condition than my old horn. It was stuffier above the staff than my Bach Strad, but had a brighter sound.

Since then, I've tried older Severinsens, and they're great horns and a good value used. Most of the ones I've seen on ebay, etc. look pretty worn, though. The other part of my lesson was, condition matters, too. I would lean towards a new 900 model.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: