• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

TH Issues

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: TH Issues Reply with quote

I am sick and tired of people who hide behind their fake names and make rude comments to others who are trying to take part in a meaningful discussions.

Last time I checked, this was a public forum dedicated to communication between trumpet players. We are supposed to offer meaningful conversation, and help to those who ask for it, and learn from the thousands of other trumpet players in the world who want to take part. The idea is to help. Not hinder or steer people in the wrong direction.

We are extremely fortunate to have so many people here on TH who have great jobs and are so willing to offer great advice. We are also fortunate to have many MANY amazing trumpet players here on TH who perhaps haven't gotten that job yet.

Let's stop attacking each other with little jabs and mal-intended comments.
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,
I just started to notice after reading your post that you seem to have a stalker.
Do you know this guy who has taken on the name DwightKSchrute? Is this what your post is about? If it is, I understand you completely.

Here are some examples of posts recently by DwightK Schrute, for those of you who haven't noticed:

Ah, thank goodness for the Joe Petrocelli stamp of approval...was that necessary?

Or sit your butt at a computer and wait for jpetrocelli to get back to you with the magic answer...

jpetrocelli, you talk too much.

At first I thought it must have been a good friend who was just having fun with you.
After seeing your post, I'm not so sure.
If you don't know who this guy is, and even if you do, I think it's about time to bring this to an end - you spend a lot of time on this forum helping other people, and exchanging information - nobody needs to be hounded by some jackass with a misplaced sense of humor.
I'm sorry it's happening, and I hope the moderators will look into it and punch this idiot's ticket.

r.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is, fortunately and unfortunately, just what happens in a public forum.

If a person is struck from the forum, what stops them from re-signing immediately under a different name and email?

Anonymity is just a part of the internet world. Some policing is necesary(z.B. language), but try to keep it as slight as possible.
ConnCoprion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: TH Issues Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
I am sick and tired of people who hide behind their fake names and make rude comments to others who are trying to take part in a meaningful discussions.

Last time I checked, this was a public forum dedicated to communication between trumpet players. We are supposed to offer meaningful conversation, and help to those who ask for it, and learn from the thousands of other trumpet players in the world who want to take part. The idea is to help. Not hinder or steer people in the wrong direction.

We are extremely fortunate to have so many people here on TH who have great jobs and are so willing to offer great advice. We are also fortunate to have many MANY amazing trumpet players here on TH who perhaps haven't gotten that job yet.

Let's stop attacking each other with little jabs and mal-intended comments.

Hey Jpetrocelli, I echo the above poster's thoughts...I love reading all the info I get here on TH, I trust that whoever this is won't run you off...you would be missed!

I know that it seems like we have the occasional "keyboard warrior" who lacks respect when it comes to other TH members. There are many, and I mean many on this forum who I respect greatly, and it ticks me off to see "veterans" being made fun of etc...

just my .02 cents...
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
If a person is struck from the forum, what stops them from re-signing immediately under a different name and email?

IP address...catches up with every troll eventually!

Paul
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I agree. Self-centeredness is alive and well. Disagreement and exchange of ideas are valuable, but sarcasm and an "in-your-face" attitude are juvenile and help no one.
Grasshopper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, forum admins "usually" have access to pretty decent filters to block certain IP ranges or addresses, if they are knowledgeable enough about how to work it.

Like it was said, forums allow weirdo's to hide behind computer screens making it easier to be an @$$. I've done it a few times in the past as I'm sure we all have to a degree. But we have to live with it until the forum admins are willing to do more along those lines. I'm a mod on one forum and a supermod on another. There's a lot to deal with behind the scenes.
Moderators
TH Moderator Group

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic was moved from the trumpetherald.com forum.

If a poster is behaving inappropriately, the best thing to do is notify the Moderators. We don't see every post, and we aren't as likely to notice repeated patterns of incivility as the people who may be on the receiving end. All users must adhere to the Usage Agreement, and those who repeatedly insist on ignoring it are not welcome on Trumpet Herald. The Moderators will discuss what to do about this individual.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem that I have a non-fan.

I don't know the guy. I don't know why. I have never slighted him. I have never said that I am this amazing trumpet player or educator. I just like to think that I know A LITTLE about trumpet playing and like to talk about trumpet.

I did see his latest response which fueled me to write this little bit to get my feelings off of my chest. Actually, I first wrote him a VERY pointed response in a PM. But by the time I finished typing, I had cooled off and decided to not send it.

I would never leave TH. I have too much fun, and it really bugs my wife. However, I think jokers like this are the reason that some big name extremely well known and very helpful people have left.
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!

Joe I listened to your clips, you are a fantastic trumpet player. A +

Don't get discouraged, as well as you play you should hold your head up high, the heck with the doubters and criticizers.

MIKEY
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is something else than a healthy difference of opinions.

In general I just take them as miserable jealous bastards:
-clearly without a real life or family
-probably without a job or only a very meaningless one
-they think they are mr. big-shot and consider themselves funny
-they have never achieved anything in life that they think they are entitled to
-blame their lack of talent on "the others"
-with not much else to do than hang around on these forums and bash, slam and bark nonsense.....

Check out their posts and you'll see that 90% of their input is crap. A good and confident trumpeter wouldn't need that.
Mind you, I've seen quite some (but definitely not all) critics in papers and magazines written by envious ex-musicians like that.

As for you, Joe and the vast majority of the other TH members: keep the good posts coming!

MvW.
camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents: ( having a nick which is obviously NOT my real name ) This whole topic is too much credit for these kind of internetlosers.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel wrote:
( having a nick which is obviously NOT my real name )

However.....
I happen to know who you are, where you work, have your home address AND your phone number.....
I also know they just GAVE you a brand new trumpet.....
So you'd better watch it buster!

MvW.

P.S. sorry for the off-topic.
the cleaner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpetrocelli wrote:
It does seem that I have a non-fan.

Trudat.

The non-fan feeds a boogyman under his bed every day; it makes him feel dirty and sad but he still does it for the warmth.

Joe, you are a good man with good intentions don't get bogged down.
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, the cleaner says it all.

r.
jpetrocelli
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cleaner - an internet hero.

westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe, I agree with everyone else. I've heard your playing on the internet and you are really good. If you ever give any concerts in the NYC area, please let us know.
Mr. Cleaner, I love your posts. That Piracy thread post was pure genius.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
camel wrote:
( having a nick which is obviously NOT my real name )

However.....
I happen to know who you are, where you work, have your home address AND your phone number.....
I also know they just GAVE you a brand new trumpet.....
So you'd better watch it buster!

MvW.

P.S. sorry for the off-topic.

Big Brother is watching me

On Topic: I strongly believe that in a place like this every body can learn from each other. Is it not the tecnique, or music, then it is about having fun to play.

Having said that, there is no real reason to be a jerk towards others.
If I made remarks towards anybody which were not real nice, I didn't intend to hurt somebody...

And now I'll drink a beer, cheers
Morbo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not advocating being a jerk here, but I like my anonymity. There should be no reason we have to use real names. Some people do, and that's fine. I choose not to, and would like it to remain that way.

If some people are acting outside the rules that have been set up and the moderators have not acted, then your real problem is with the moderators.
tptfrbrains
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbo wrote:
I am not advocating being a jerk here, but I like my anonymity. There should be no reason we have to use real names. Some people do, and that's fine. I choose not to, and would like it to remain that way.

If some people are acting outside the rules that have been set up and the moderators have not acted, then your real problem is with the moderators.

The moderators, as they have said many times, can not be everywhere, all the time. (That's why I mentioned the troll's name and quoted him in my previous post - to give them the info necessary to look into this.)

The problem is not with the moderators. Perhaps we would do better if we ourselves reacted immediately on threads where trolls appear, and let them know that they are unwanted.

DwightK Schrute is unwanted. So is anyone else who expends his energy and "wit" to anonymously hurt others here on TH.
If you agree, then by all means chime in here. If you disagree, then by all means chime in here.
I believe that if the reason we're here is to exchange information and promote friendship, anonymous trolls should be exposed and banned as quickly as possible.

r.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: