• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hercules 3 trumpet stand

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this stand at home for my horns, but not on gigs. Not only is the stability a problem, but it takes up to much space!!

Three K&Ms are able to be moved around you in a pit or at a church when you have the normal amount of room, none.

I think this is a good idea, but it needs some redesign.

TD
Nickyboy2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
rank_amateur wrote:

Back to the original question, I have one of the big three-peg models for multiple horn gigs. I agree it's too light, but until I get around to loading mine up with lead, I've found that simply slapping a strip of duct tape across each leg and taping the thing to the stage floor works pretty well.

Yes it does make it much safer to tape things down on outdoor gigs or on stages in general! However, I played a festival gig a few weeks ago on a stage centered in the middle of a wide street. The wind that evening roared down the street between the buildings, gusting over 25 mph.

We had EVERYTHING duct taped down and it turned into the gig from hell. I've never played under those conditions. I set up my 3-horn Hercules stand and taped it down, but didn't use it. Instead, I got out only my trumpet and fluglehorn but kept each in its case when not in use.

Even with the heavy lead and the tape, I simply couldn't trust it in those winds.

GOOD THING TOO . . .

During a break, a taped down personal mini-monitor of mine, on a heavy mic stand (set to minimal height too) blew over and hit BOTH pegs of my stands, leaving a minor gash in the tip of each peg!

If I'd had my 4K each goldplated Wild Thing cornet and trumpet on that stand plus the silver WT flugle it would have been a tragedy! I never took my cherished gold WT cornet out of the case at all . . . too risky!

As the gig ended, the city's Tornado Warning Sirens began wailing and we packed quickly under an ominous storm cloud. Luckily, the tornado went past us about four miles away.

Once again, my horn protection paranoia kept my expensive horns safe. The horns are eight, seven and six years old respectively . . . and nary a scratch . . . and I hope and pray to keep 'em that way!

T.

OFF TOPIC WARNING

Tom, would this happen to have been the Friday that the CNN building and the arena got hit by the EF2 (March 14th) in Atlanta? I was in Greensville, SC and luckily all they got was some hard rain and a lot of thunder. Nice to know that your precious babes remained unharmed throughout the ordeal.

Getzen 300 Series (Lacquer)
Zeus Guarnerius (Copper, Nickel. Brass)
1918 C.G Conn Wonder Cornet (silver)
NYTC Stage 1 California C (Silver)
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. After reading this thread, the Hercules stand will not appear on my want list . Way too much trouble gerrymandering this thing to make it work. I've been getting along well with K & M's (five legged variety).

Any time a trpt goes on a stand, caution is warranted. The most stable stand is the old Hamilton, but we've become so space and wt conscious that you hardly see them on gigs anymore. I still use two in my studio. The case is still the safest place for our investments. If possible, I put horns in their cases on breaks.

Picketts
Yamaha 6335RC
Yamaha 8335RS
Lawler Flugel
Kanstul cornet
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi hose,

I've been using three Hamiltons (two trombone stand bases; one with the bone top modified for flugle use and the other with a trumpet top, plus a regular, shorter trumpet stand) since 1972. I used those three stands for my flugle, trumpet and cornet.

A couple of years ago I switched to the Hercules due to getting tired of toting so many stands to gigs. After my mods, which truly did not take long to do, my Hercules has ended up being my "go to" stand.

HOWEVER . . . it takes longer to assemble the Hercules than it does to set up three Hamiltons . . . plus if one Hamilton got knocked over (which has NEVER happened, one would not mess up all three horns.

The perfect three horn stand has simply NOT been made yet.

Still . . . as long as I persist in taking three horns, plus a LOT of other stuff on most of my commercial gigs and to rehearsals, I'm probably gonna stick for now with the Hercules.

T.

PS: Nickyboy2 . . . Thansk!

And yes, it was the weekend of the CNN/Atlanta tornado and we had rough weather all around Georgia that weekend. I don't ever want to do an outdoor gig like the one I did that Saturday night again.
brem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with 3 pegs stand is that they are designed to be stable when three horns are on the stand. If you got only one, the center of mass is simply not at the right place.
Bach Stradivarius Bb Model 37 * #124xxx (circa 1975)
Yamaha YFH-731 Flugelhorn #000xxx - Yamaha 14F4-GP
Getzen Eterna 940
Conn Connquest 20A Cornet 1954
Yamaha YCR-2330S Cornet
bdeep787

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject: Hercules Combo Stand, design flaws. Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with the Hercules Combo stand.
IMO.. a design flaw in that the base is too light. Pull one horn off in the heat of battle and the entire thing can easily fall over. Our workaround on tour has been to use a sandbag weight on the base.
Moreover, as many have stated prior....the pegs are constantly coming loose leaving instruments at risk if you're not always careful.

Has anyone found a functional workaround.
I did reach out to the company and will be curious to hear what they have to say.
While I do like the concept (three horns/one stand) The design seems to be inherently flawed.

Has anyone had luck finding an similar product elsewhere??

Many thanks,
Barry D
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of Hercules stands, per other complaints: too light, peg-holes strip too easily, mulit-horn stand not balanced. Singles are OK if you just use them in your studio, where they won't get knocked over. I have decades-old Hamilton stands which are still serviceable. I use the t'bone version on gigs where I'm standing, and a number of tpt & t'bone stands in my studio; 6-8 horns out of their cases. I use the 5-leg K&Ms for rehearsals and gigs where I'm sitting.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher has been using a triple Hercules for years but only in his teaching studio. It seems to be doing fine for that. I like the five-leg K&Ms but I usually only have one instrument at my outdoor gigs and it usually stays in my hands. Flying music and flying mutes have happened, but no flying horns.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hercules triple that I keep in my office to keep my horns handy for practice. I take it on one gig per year when I need three horns, swapping one of the trumpet pegs out for a flute/clarinet peg for my piccolo trumpet. I have thought about shortening the pegs to make it more stable but I have all the mechanical aptitude of a rutabaga.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: