• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New lover!! An 8310Z!! (sigh...)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: New lover!! An 8310Z!! (sigh...) Reply with quote

Just got it yesterday and wow! What a horn!

I've used (mostly) a Warburton 4S with a 4* backbore and I'm still getting a nice, fat, warm sound - which I'm thrilled with.

As others have said, it does take some backing off - especially up high but what a fun horn to play! Just a blast to puff and hear the sound (and the player can hear it so well, too!). Just a lot of fun and I can't wait 'till the family let's me alone to try it some more!

Incidentally, I've seen posts of valves being a bit sensitive - what are you finding does best? I'm using a mix of Yamaha and Blue Juice - O.K. but... They seem sluggish till they get warm...

Ah, what a lovely horn, though!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jonathan! This is Armond.
Glad to hear the new horn is working out for you! I am also in search of an 8310Z. I tried one after we talked about the Xeno and absolutely fell in love! If you know anyone with a nice lacquer 8310Z wanting to trade send them my way
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful mixing oils. Different viscosities can combine to produce maddeningly slow response.

Yamaha valves are pretty tight in terms of tolerance, so you want a light oil. Just make sure to clean the valves if you switch.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuinely jealous of all these cats that find their yams to blow better than their bachs. Finding the right upgrade horn must be a piece of cake for you guys.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windandsong wrote:
Genuinely jealous of all these cats that find their yams to blow better than their bachs.

Well, the horns in question really are two very different designs...so it's not exactly "apples to apples".
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindandSong... For me it's really easy, I guess. I do strictly solo's so I never have to worry about blending, standing out, etc. I see all the comments about 'lead mouthpieces...lead horns...blending...' and that's pretty much all lost on me. Since all I do is solo it's an easy choice.

I move along through a lot of horns so I guess I'm a fickle lover but I must say the 8310Z is such an easy blow it's hard not to like.

Just a few weeks ago I picked up a great Strad 37 with a * - lightweight bell and thougth I'd keep it a long time...but then I found the Z at a good price and it's just so easy to play. Again, if blending in a horn section were essential the Z would probably be going by, by and not the Strad.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzhorn04 wrote:
Glad to hear the new horn is working out for you! I am also in search of an 8310Z. I tried one after we talked about the Xeno and absolutely fell in love! If you know anyone with a nice lacquer 8310Z wanting to trade send them my way

Armond - thanks! The only thing - you'r much more of a power player than I am, I'm sure. For me I've wanted to try the Z for some time because my Xeno RG was just so open it took all I had and actully improved my posture and breath support trying to keep up with it. The Z probably fits me better as a player, too; small frame, marginal physical condition. For you...You're gonna have to take half breaths... Little humor!

Why, though, oh why, would you want lacquer when silver is available?

The only reason I didn't pull the trigger on one earlier was lacquer was all I found availabe. When I saw a silver one at a good price... Bam!
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan, if you want to sell your lightweight, PM me with a ball park figure, description, age etc.

Jeff...good call on design stakes altho I wouldnt know what the difference was. They definately blow and play a little easier but thats as far as it goes for me. I guess I am what you would call an envious to own decent Strad person. Have an awesome D and have played a handful of awesome lightweight 37's...all of em I think at least 20 years old.

Anyway I wont bore you with my opinions on these horns...enjoy!

Gabriel.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
Be careful mixing oils. Different viscosities can combine to produce maddeningly slow response.

Yamaha valves are pretty tight in terms of tolerance, so you want a light oil. Just make sure to clean the valves if you switch.

Jeff...I know. I can't believe I mixed the two. Must have had to much Mt. Dew the night I did it...

Actually, earlier today I was thinking that a lighter oil might be the way to go. I'm looking for a light synthetic and just saw some advertised by Yamaha right above us. Have you heard positive comments about Yamaha's light synthetic? Let me know....

Incidentally, this horn has the greatest compression I've ever seen. I've pulled the 1st and 3rd valves out almost an inch and watched them crawl within a fraction just by the tight compression. Unbelievable; and the slides are still a bit stiff from a recent bath!

And also...I pulled the second valve on the Z and my Strad 37 ML...And the Z's valve is larger. Hm. I'd love, like many others in many threads, to see the specs on the Z; what the leadpipe size is compared to other horns, where it becomes larger, how large where, etc.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on...8310z, i know the one. Rev leadpipe, no braces etc. I'm with you. Commercial thing. Alright. Tried one the other week. See difference to Strad now.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windandsong wrote:
Jeff...good call on design stakes altho I wouldnt know what the difference was. [...] I guess I am what you would call an envious to own decent Strad person.

Well, the Z's are step bore horns, so the blow is really different. I think a great Strad is hard to beat. The Z's are very consistent and as such the best and worst don't cover the same span as Bachs in recent years (tho I hear Bach's starting to get their act together as far as QC goes).

Folks here in the states sometimes take for granted how many options they have...we're extraordinarily lucky.
Kevin Burns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Actually, earlier today I was thinking that a lighter oil might be the way to go.

I used to play a 6310Z (for over 10 years) and the best valve oil I used was just the Blue Juice. Isn't that a lighter oil? Anway it worked great.

I do love how those horns can sound sweet and mellow if you want them to - even on a shallower mouthpiece.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kevin Burns"]
JonathanM wrote:
I do love how those horns can sound sweet and mellow if you want them to - even on a shallower mouthpiece.

Kevin: That's what really shocked me; I was expecting a pretty bright sound with my Warburton 4S mouthpiece with a 4* backbore...And it sounds very presentable. Actually, sounds quite full; especially down low where you like it.

And, yes, as one said; no brace on the tuning slide and reverse leadpipe. The valves have metal guides as well; not plastic - which surprised me. I didn't notice that on the Yamaha material and wondered why the Z horn would be inferior to the Xeno's...But they aren't; same great valve pieces it seems. Just a nice, nice horn.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan-

Congratulations on finding your dream horn!

I felt the same enthusiasm about my Destino 5* when I bought it last summer, and it just keeps getting better and better! I highly recommend Ultra-Pure valve oil. It works great with all my horns, and makes the valves feel silky smooth and fast.

Please keep us updated as you become more and more familiar with your new love.

Regards

Steve Allison
corsair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new horn.

I've played the 8310Z now for about 2 years now and it is just a sweet- heart to play. Compared to my old Strad, it is so responsive it is like you think the note and the horn instantly responds, with hardly a breath. I find that it blends in any setting. If the horn is right for you, it will fit for whatever you wish. If you want to stand out, it will comply with your demands. If you want to blend, it will be just as happy to blend. And I've played a Bach 3C for most of my life playing trumpet. Tried other MP's but none have worked out yet for me. So far 3C for me works best. And also improved range with less effort.
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
jazzhorn04 wrote:

Armond - thanks! The only thing - you'r much more of a power player than I am, I'm sure. For me I've wanted to try the Z for some time because my Xeno RG was just so open it took all I had and actully improved my posture and breath support trying to keep up with it. The Z probably fits me better as a player, too; small frame, marginal physical condition. For you...You're gonna have to take half breaths... Little humor!

Why, though, oh why, would you want lacquer when silver is available?

The only reason I didn't pull the trigger on one earlier was lacquer was all I found availabe. When I saw a silver one at a good price... Bam!

Hello Jonathan!

I recently have changed up my breathing and playing style in an effort to be more efficient in my playing. I backed off a bit and realized that it is possible to get a nice sound without blowing your face off
I am, indeed, taking half breaths (I have huge lungs) and it took a while to get used to the style. But now I am not working nearly as hard as I was before to get a strong resonant sound and my technique has improved. I believe this is why I fell in love with the Z. Not to mention the effortless response, and the fact that it is so light. I had a problem before where I wanted a warm sound so badly that I went too far and didn't sound like a trumpet anymore! I sounded like an edgy flugel The light feel of the Z helps me keep my sound in line.

As far as finish goes I prefer lacquer to silver. Growing up silver was always the dream but as I got older I realized that finish doesn't matter as much as sound. For this particular horn lacquer gives me more of the sound that I want. It all depends on the horn tho. If it were a Strad I would want silver, but for the Z it is definitely lacquer.

Congrats again!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Blue Juice, Zaja blue, etc. It is NOT a light oil. It's actually less refined (by perhaps a few big steps) than yellow stuff or clear. It protects against acidic sweat / spit.

I believe the Ultra Pure is very light. As you break in your valves, wipe them off frequently with a lint free cloth as long as you keep seeing tell tale metal grey on your white cloth. I'd also clean the whole horn, not just the valves, between changing types of oil. For a synthetic, some like T2 and snake oil. I think spending this kind of money on a horn merits some experimentation with valve oil as it can make a real difference!

Oh, and congrats on finding a great horn - nice taste.
JCBb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Z Reply with quote

I had a 6310Z not too long ago (wish I still did) and I solved the sticky valve problem, after trying many brands, using BiNak Pro valve oil. Fast and smooth - greased lightening!
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've had my 8310Z for a couple weeks now and thought I'd report in. My oldest daughter, 17, just got her first 'real' job at Starbucks and brought me home a nice, large coffee...So I'll be up awhile.

I'll preface/review this thread by mentioning that in recent months I've played on a very nice Xeno 8335RG, a great Bach Strad 37* and this horn (plus a few lesser horns as well).

The 8310Z is so impressive! One of the first things I noticed was the tight compression in the horn. Every horn is different...But when you pull the 3rd slide out on this horn it returns all the way back to the pull start. Amazing. Ditto the 1st slide (but not the second! ).

The valves are nice; not the fastest I've ever had but a good feel. They still need to be worn in (I hate the term 'broken' in).

The tone...I like warmth and play with a pretty dark tone by choice (hopefully most of us acquire the tone that we appreciate most) but this horn is so nice. Even with a medium shallow cup (Warburton 4S) and small backbore (4*) I'm getting a commendable tone; with a 4D and a 12 backbore I'm rethinking my need of a cornet... Yes, the horn can sizzle; I can make it ring...But I love the warmth I can get out of it. That warm, dark tone exceeds anything I could get with my Xeno or Strad - for sure.

With the larger bell and new bell rim Yamaha used on the Z it is easy to hear one's self. In fact, I feared that the feedback was deceptive and that the horn would not project well - 'my bad' as they say. I played in a church sanctuary Sunday that had pretty dead acoustics so I set a microphone up to aid my sound projection. "Unnecessary!" was the responce from those seated nearest the platform...And those in the back as well! Hurrah! Not only does the player get the benefit of hearing him/herself but the enhanced hearing seems not to be at the expence of the projection! Cool!

The small bore (step bore) start... Well, life isn't perfect, is it? I got the horn and a Warburton Q-M backbore almost together (and a Yamaha Silent Mute system)...Bad medicine!! I don't know if it was one or all but after about 3 days I could hardly play anything. I suspect it was the tight backbore more than the step-bore of the Z but I'll probably never know. I'm doing little with the Q-M until I learn the horn better; trying not to overblow - especially in the upper register but the horn is certainly more delicate and less demanding than my Xeno with reversed leadpipe. One can play it and really relax and enjoy as opposed to always thinking "Project...Posture...Huge Breath..." At least I feel so much more relaxed.

So far...the Z is a dream! Great to hear one's self, mesmerizing tone, good projection, easy to play...What am I missing? Hm... Help me out; am I missing anything?

When I checked BrassReview on this horn I noticed myriad complements and few detractions. 15 reviews averaged the Z rating at 9.80 out of 10...Not bad (the highest for a modest priced horn with a good number of reviews that I've noticed. Now I know why.
http://www.brassreview.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1075/sort/8/cat/32/page/2
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing donating me your Qm. Glad you're diggin' your new baby!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: