• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New York Bach vs Modern Bach which plays better, howrthydif

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: New York Bach vs Modern Bach which plays better, howrthydif Reply with quote

What are the different characteristcs between NY and modern Bach?
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: New York Bach vs Modern Bach which plays better, howrthy Reply with quote

improver wrote:
What are the different characteristcs between NY and modern Bach?

Take a look at Dave's Bach Trumpet page for a whole list of characteristics.

http://www.electrotheremin.com/bach.html
Scorpion
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new york bachs have a free toy inside. The modern one only come with a bazooka joe comic rolled up in the 3rd valve slide.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
the new york bachs have a free toy inside. The modern one only come with a bazooka joe comic rolled up in the 3rd valve slide.

Dammit, that's why I never got one of the decoder rings!
Joebaca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Vintage horns have a warmer feel than modern horns. I have owned a modern 43 bach and Mt Vernons.. The Mt Vernons had that warmness but took a little more adjust the intonation. I now play on a 1945 Martin Committee and love it.. It took a few weeks to adjust. But it is the best horn i have ever owned...The intonation is pretty dam good.. Better than any Mt Vernon i have played.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joebaca wrote:
I think that Vintage horns have a warmer feel than modern horns. I have owned a modern 43 bach and Mt Vernons.. The Mt Vernons had that warmness but took a little more adjust the intonation. I now play on a 1945 Martin Committee and love it.. It took a few weeks to adjust. But it is the best horn i have ever owned...The intonation is pretty dam good.. Better than any Mt Vernon i have played.

Just a question, but how was the compression on the valves and slides on all those Mt. Vernon Bachs? I've played some that I thought were dogs due to that, but the majority [which were the well-maintained/restored ones] have had very nice pitch.
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According this article the New York and Mt. Vernon Bachs had at least a lightweight bell.

http://www.erikveldkamp.nl/Resources/tests/VincentBach197.pdf

So as example the Kanstul 1500B should be nearer than a today´s Strad.
If someone states, that the New York or Mount Vernon plays better, then I could think about the faster response by the lighweight bell....oh, do I now bust a myth?
Herbert
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I don't see any rational way to compare the two.
They are entirely different in style, materials, and craftmanship. Braces
were frequently moved around and of different shapes and sizes. In some
instances, it is impossible to tell what model it actually is without having
the actual shop card.
I would love to get my hands on a good one, but not at the prices that
are asked for them.

Rich Tomasek
Joebaca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a excellent point. At this point in my life i feel the Martin Committee is the best i have ever played.. The horn looks old but it feels and plays great.. Not a lead players choice horn but for the average weekend warrior section player, it is incredible
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joebaca wrote:
...I have owned a modern 43 bach and Mt Vernons...

I owned a '55 Mt. Vernon 43 and a '77 Elkhart 43 at the same time. Actually, I had them both for about 20 years before I sold one of them. I sold the Mt. Vernon......

It played a little differently from the Elkhart, but not better - just different. I preferred the Elkhart for everyday use.
Joebaca
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Super olds 145##.. This horn plays so open.
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joebaca wrote:
You make a excellent point. At this point in my life i feel the Martin Committee is the best i have ever played.. The horn looks old but it feels and plays great.. Not a lead players choice horn but for the average weekend warrior section player, it is incredible

Joebaca wrote:
I just picked up a Super olds 145##.. This horn plays so open.

Hmm, guess we won´t help improver regarding his interesting question , when we list our lovies.
Herbert
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NY Strads and the early Mt Vernon Strads (and Mercedes) are similar in design, with a narrower wrap. Sometime during the Mt Vernon era the design changed to a wider wrap which was continued into the Elkhart production and has continued to this day. Therefore the earlier narrow wrap Bachs are a really different horn. The really early Bach Strads from the middle 1920's are indeed different from any of the above.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's mentioned the early NY Bachs were handmade custom jobs for a specific player? (Inconsistency at it's best) Quite a bit different from a send-it-down-the-line production model.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Bach made as many as 72 bells, only a handfull of which are still available in current production. Additionally, the configurations, bracing, bell material, varied widely through the years. Bach was quite prolific with experimentation.

My NY is a 1937 #10 bell, and feels lighter in the hand than my late Mt. Vernon and early Elkhart which were assembled five years apart. The shop card lists the NY bell as 51 gauge, but that sounds awfully thin, unless gauge standards have changed since then. Regardless, the sound it makes is quite dense and pure and it doesn't feel like it's going to break up when pushed to the limit as I have experienced with light weight bells of other mfrs..

I've owned my share of vintage Strads in thinning things down to the current trio. All I can say is that they are all alike, but different. I think it's those 'alike' qualities that keep people on the hunt for that sweet one.

The medium bore Strads are great horns to lean into if you're a resistance player and you may find them to beg for a more open, or more free-blowing mp. I find the NY and early Mt. Vernon short wraps to be more responsive and they can be a bit more squirrely in the tuning department if you're not sending them the right message. They do what you tell them too, so choose your words carefully. I believe this is related to the wrap.

Hope this helps some.
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also read that Bach came up with 72 bell. Maybe on the Bach Loyalist site? I have also read that pre-Elkharts had thinner bells. Does anyone know when they switched to a heavier weight bell?

IIRC, standard production currently:

38 (cornet, is it still around?)
7 (New York model)

The 25 and 65 don't seem to be made in the numbers the others are. And I have no clue where 229, 239 etc. come from. The earliest Bachs were attempts to make a Besson, then later a better Besson.

It'd be a lot of fun to try out all 72 different bells. See how a 12 plays, for instance! I bet Bach still has the bell mandrills somewhere, though I don't suppose getting a non-standard bell would be feasible nowadays.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
tptmed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very old Bach (low 200's serial number) and the shop card states it is a # 2 bell and a #2 leadpipe. The bell (and braces) are definitely more Pre-war Besson-like. My personal feeling is the earlier horns have a certain ring to the sound BUT it's only as good as the player and the condition of the horn.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points here! The pre war Bessons were all bronze. Bach tried to copy them, but did he ever make anything all bronze?
I've got a horn w/ both bell and leadpipe made from the same mandrel as the pre-war Besson! (No bronze though ...)
puukka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleanhead77@embarqmail wrote:
The NY Strads and the early Mt Vernon Strads (and Mercedes) are similar in design, with a narrower wrap.

_Daff wrote:
My NY is a 1937 #10 bell, and feels lighter in the hand than my late Mt. Vernon.

Thinking of the Benge French Besson clone and your reports, the New York seems to be an overall lightweighted horn, the nickel trim appearing much later. So the today´s "Bach sound" seem to be an Elkhart invention, regular weighted, two braces, nickel siver outer valve slides.
Herbert
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, today's Bach is a Mt Vernon invention. When Bach sold to Selmer, the agreement was they would not monkey around with his Stradivarius design. Today's Bach is still basically the late Mt Vernon design by Vincent Bach himself. Since Bach is now a subsidiary of Conn/Steinway, and Bach has passed on, I don't know if that agreement still holds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: