• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 580 Capri Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Getzen 580 Capri Cornet Reply with quote

I just picked up a Getzen 580 Capri cornet and find it hard to play. It seems to hold a lot of water and gets gurggley prematurly. Is this common of a shephards crook cornet? I am playing with a Bach 3C mouthpiece and it is a real struggle. I have a Denis Wick 4.5 mouthpiece coming and hope it will help.

Any ideas?

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it is totally clean inside and there are no obstructions?

I doubt if being a shepherd's crook cornet would be causing the problem.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
nickpasternack
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like an obstruction. any major dents in the bends of the slides? check the valve casing where the individual casing meets tubing. Pull the tuning slide and snake it if you have one, or maybe swab it. Same goes for the Leadpipe. The type of cornet doesnt matter for the problems your are describing. What are the specific issues? Stuffieness? extremely restricted blow?
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amado waterkey does not flush well if the hole is obstructed. Remove the tuning slide, pour in some water into the bottom crook next to leadpipe, push the Amado in and see if all water clears out. Do the same with the third valve slide Amado.

If Amados are obstructed, best to give the instrument to a good repairman. It does not cost a lot.
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally cleaned the horn when I got it so I know its clean. I will check the Amado keys again to see if there is something to that. Horn has had some smaller dents removed but is in overall, really good condition.

I'm a trumpet guy so maybe it is just the difference between the two instruments that I am not used to.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they drill out the drain hole through the slide tubing for the Amado water keys, sometimes a small burr is left on the inside of the tubing that will obstruct the draining of water. On my Jupiter flugel I disassembled the water keys and took a NEW drill bit that is just one tic larger than the hole and redrilled them VERY SLOWLY and carefully. The problem disappeared. If you don't feel good about trying this yourself then the repairman is the answer. You might be able to see evidence of this problem if you can look down the 3rd slide with a good light and see the inside of the tubing where the Amado is positioned or if you can "feel" with a small dowel rod (end of a pencil will do) to see if there is a "snag" at that location that is greater than you would expect from just the drilled-out opening.
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Capri and I find it to be quite free blowing. My son, who plays professionally also likes the horn. The amado keys are the first I have had on a horn and I find that I need to empty them more often than my trumpets, but the more I have progressed in my comeback, the less condensation I produce, so that may be the same for you as well. Good Luck.

Michael
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: