• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Straining your throat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I was wondering:
I have been doing lip slurs, and not having any problems with my throat. But in the last week or so, my throat has started hurting after practicing, and I don't know if it is from the practice in the high end of my range, or if it is the lip slurs.
I have just started doing lip slurs from C-E in the top of the staff, and E-G in, and on top of the staff. Normally I do a lot of slurs from low C-G, and from G-C in the staff. Now I thought that maybe just because I stepped up the slurs a little, that my throat may be hurting.

Even if it is hurting because of range or the slurs, how do I get rid of it? My range is up to a high B, and whenever I play a G or above, it starts to hurt. Now the strange thing is that I have had the range of up to a B or C for at least a year, and it has never hurt me before. Whats the deal???
Thanks is advance,
Patrick
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are that, for whatever reason, you're starting to tense up as you ascend. Part of this tension is tightening the throat, with predictable results. Notice what you're doing while you play, and see if this is the case. If so, obviously the solution is to focus on being more relaxed in your upper (all, really, as it is likely starting down low and getting worse as you ascend) register. Do a search; this is a fairly popular topic (i.e., we all have this problem!) One of my favorite quick checks is to pop a toilet paper tube (without the TP on it) or something which forces my mouth wide open, then point my mouth at the sky (ceiling) and breathe a few times. Try to keep that wide-open feeling as you play.

Now, something else which has happened to me is a reaction to valve oil. I have allergies, and some valve oils are strong enough to excite (ignite?) my sinuses. This is especially true if I have a cold, or am already fighting hayfever from another source so my throat is already a bit raw. Then, the valve oil smell irritates my throat, which tries to tense up and close down to stifle the offending odor. (Other, even more offensive odors, sometimes have the same effect ) Sooo, have you changed valve oil recently? (This is one reason I switched to Binak -- not petroleum based, and much less odor than any other I've tried.)

HTH - Don

[ This Message was edited by: Don Herman on 2002-01-16 09:34 ]
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. Herman,
I'll take your advise about the toilet paper thing. No, I haven't recently changed valve oil, so thats not the problem. Thanks a lot!
Patrick
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:29 ]
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Quad C, that makes sense, but where can I get that book?
Patrick
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-12-18 13:29 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: