• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Grammar Discussion from Botti Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zlatko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fraserhutch wrote:

For the record, the person quoted by the OP does not fall into either category, he/she merely is too lazy to capitalize their words. Big whoop, IMHO.

I agree with you that the OP is not difficult to understand. My post was more a reaction to other quotes in this thread.

The parents out there will know that you will get better compliance from your children by setting an example than by making rules that you yourself do not follow. By extension, if you want a forum where people try to be professional, be professional yourself.

Some of the grammar cops have committed sins much greater than poor spelling.
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is too short for me to worry about someone else's grammar. I try to understand the message. Sometimes a well written message has an insightful comment. Other times, I derive worthwhile information from someone with poor writing skills. The important thing is the value of the message being conveyed. How the message is conveyed is secondary.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
swthiel wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:
I think the point is that improper (or no) grammar can obscure a point to a condition of complete misunderstanding. I don't care so much about capitalization; however, not properly puncutating a sentence - or worse: an entire paragraph - makes reading difficult for other users.

Why not write out a post with punctuation to at least make it easier for others to understand what you are saying and respond properly?

Just to put this thread in context, here is the post that -- how shall I put this? -- inspired Robert Rowe to start the current grammar rant:

trumpetnyc wrote:
durring the josh groban tour, chris played a different martin handcraft large bore than he plays now. all of his recordings are on the same martin, but the groban tour was different. chris and dave monette are great friends, going back to their time in oregon, but he has never played a monette on stage.

This post has one incorrectly spelled word, one questionable comma, and no capital letters. I'll leave it to you to decide if these errors render the post incomprehensible.

Refer to my original post. I put an important statement in bold face, just to make it clear.

I agree with you, however, that Mr. Rowe's comments are a bit harsh, and there should be some latitude on a web forum. The question is simply, "How far should we allow it go?"

I do believe we should all strive for our best in everything we do...even in posting on web forums. Netspeak or not, writing with a lack of consideration for proper capitalization and punctuation can make one appear at best lazy, and at worst illiterate.

The intent of my post was apparently not clear. trumpetnyc's post was perfectly readable, and was a useful contribution to the thread. Since no additional clarification was needed to understand trumpetnyc's post, Robert Rowe's comments only served to take the discussion off topic.
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sentence wasn't towards aimed to you, BTW. I was merely stating that I didn't consider the OP to fall into the categories I stated, and had nothing to do with your post.

I am also a firm believer in leading by example, even when there are no ramifications to not not doing so as in the case of anonymous cowards. This extends to civility and respect for others as well, which is something a number of people here could learn a bit about.

Zlatko wrote:
fraserhutch wrote:

For the record, the person quoted by the OP does not fall into either category, he/she merely is too lazy to capitalize their words. Big whoop, IMHO.

I agree with you that the OP is not difficult to understand. My post was more a reaction to other quotes in this thread.

The parents out there will know that you will get better compliance from your children by setting an example than by making rules that you yourself do not follow. By extension, if you want a forum where people try to be professional, be professional yourself.

Some of the grammar cops have committed sins much greater than poor spelling.

Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:
swthiel wrote:
Tpt_Guy wrote:
I think the point is that improper (or no) grammar can obscure a point to a condition of complete misunderstanding. I don't care so much about capitalization; however, not properly puncutating a sentence - or worse: an entire paragraph - makes reading difficult for other users.

Why not write out a post with punctuation to at least make it easier for others to understand what you are saying and respond properly?

Just to put this thread in context, here is the post that -- how shall I put this? -- inspired Robert Rowe to start the current grammar rant:

trumpetnyc wrote:
durring the josh groban tour, chris played a different martin handcraft large bore than he plays now. all of his recordings are on the same martin, but the groban tour was different. chris and dave monette are great friends, going back to their time in oregon, but he has never played a monette on stage.

This post has one incorrectly spelled word, one questionable comma, and no capital letters. I'll leave it to you to decide if these errors render the post incomprehensible.

Refer to my original post. I put an important statement in bold face, just to make it clear.

I agree with you, however, that Mr. Rowe's comments are a bit harsh, and there should be some latitude on a web forum. The question is simply, "How far should we allow it go?"

I do believe we should all strive for our best in everything we do...even in posting on web forums. Netspeak or not, writing with a lack of consideration for proper capitalization and punctuation can make one appear at best lazy, and at worst illiterate.

The intent of my post was apparently not clear. trumpetnyc's post was perfectly readable, and was a useful contribution to the thread. Since no additional clarification was needed to understand trumpetnyc's post, Robert Rowe's comments only served to take the discussion off topic.

It was perfectly clear. That's why I highlighted, "I don't care so much about capitalization." That should have connected the dots for you and shown that I agree. If it hasn't: my post means trumpetnyc's post is perfectly comprehensible and he was being lazy by not capitalizing appropriately.

Whatever inspired Robert Rowe to have his current grammar "rant" is irrelevant. It really is his discussion of grammar and how he feels about it. I imagine he feels posting with poor grammar shows lack of respect for the other posters on this forum - and I can completely understand that viewpoint. I do something else, though: I simply ignore those poorly constructed posts. I don't pitch a fit about it.

We are all perfectly free to ignore Robert Rowe (or any other poster) if we want. Our hands are not forced.

Now let's all go do something else, like practice...

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy, I'm glad we're in agreement.
Tpt_Guy wrote:
Now let's all go do something else, like practice...

Good suggestion (although my neighbors might not agree at this time of night).
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Robert Rowe wrote:
I look forward to our meeting.

( ... and, it's a "small world" ... much smaller than you might imagine).

A belligerent state permits itself every such misdeed, every such act of violence, as would disgrace the individual. Sigmund Freud

“Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.” Isaac Asimov
westview1900
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Or harpoon, whichever is more handy.
http://www.paulsen.com/
Stephen Colbert for president
bubbatrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Robert Rowe"]A [u]final[/u] (I hope ) comment ....

I have a confrontational personality. No apology.

I am the guy that stops people in the grocery store "Express -- 10 Items or Less" aisle, that have a grocery cart full of items, obviously exceeding the 10 item limit. I first ask the check-out clerk if he / she OK'd the action, and then (if they say "no") ask the clerk to call for the manager. I ask the "offender" if they realize the situation, giving them an opportunity to correct it. If they become confrontational, I ask them which 10 items they wish to purchase, while I "help" them move their shopping cart aside. The arriving manager resolves the situation. Very embarrassing and humiliating for the "offender".

Does happen. Always elicits light applause from others in line ... and comments like, "I wish I could do that ... Thanks!".

No one is allowed in my home with a hat on. No excuses (unless presently undergoing chemotherapy treatment).

When dining out (restaurants ... I never patronize "fast food" establishments), if someone is being excessively loud, I politely ask them to refrain. If the offending party does not co-operate, I ask for a manager to assist.

Heaven help someone that "butts" in line, ahead of me.

Conversely, I am a "gentleman" ... and have been acknowledged as such by my peers. I try (earnestly) to do all the things expected of a man. Proper social manners and etiquette, with respect.

Also (conversely), I am a conservation-activist ... but, am no longer associated with "GreenPeace", as their confrontationist tactics, although effective, trouble me.

I am a certified physical-fitness and Yoga instructor, T'ai Chi, TM practioner. Also have other non-passive "skills", of which I shall not elaborate. I'm not a Buddhist monk.

Sadly, we are engaged in a time which I call "The Dumbing-Down of America".

It has become "cool" to be dumb. Witness: the "Redneck-Culture".

I should think we have been educated to the level where we use proper speech, punctuation and spelling -- to the best of our abilities. Unintentional mis-spells and "typos" are not at issue.

Hence, my admonitions here at this website. I am similarly active at other websites (I am a multi-instrumentalist). Same responses and resistance. I do receive encouragement, however. Many respondents inform me they ignore posts with egregious syntax, spelling errors, grammar gaffes, no caps, etc.

I stand fast.

I am reminded of a quote from Bill Watrous (trombonist-extraordinaire) -- "This is the age of grossness and stupidity. We celebrate mediocrity."

[i]~~ Namaste ....[/i]
Yogi Robt [/quote]

i have one queestion.... can you float w/ your yoga skills???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: