• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jerry Hey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerry Hey Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
I've heard that Jerry Hey's ears are astonishing. The legend goes that people would sit down at a keyboard to challenge him by playing a bizarro combination of notes, like a quickhit 16th note, and he'd call off every single note with deadly accuracy.

I actually know 6 or 7 people who can do this. Just a little note: most who are able, tend to get annoyed at that crap too.
gchun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to meet Jerry Hey a few years ago. Very down to earth and low keyed person considering he's worked with the "who's-who" in the business. He doesn't come walking into the room with that "lead player swagger." If you didn't know who he was, you'd just assume he was a lawyer or accountant. He didn't seem to be caught up in the "stardom" thing of the music business. He was very into putting everything into his work to achieve the best possible end product. The thing I remember the most was him saying we need to put in 200% effort into all our gigs.

Garry

PS. I love Warren's playing as well. I saw a video of him performing at a Japanese Jazz Festival with Supersax, in the Blue Mitchell/Conte Candoli chair. Is there anything he can't do?
qbert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gchun wrote:
He doesn't come walking into the room with that "lead player swagger."

trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Streisand did her "Farewell" performances (and we see how long that lasted, eh?) in Vegas a few years back, the section was Lew Soloff on Lead, Jerry Hey, Gary Grant, & Warren Luening.

I think it was Jerry who came up with the plan of contacting Bach with the idea that Bach would give each of the guys matching Bb's & flugels....gold plated Bb's & flugels....in Walt Johnson combo cases...for free....in return for Bach being able to advertise that Streisand's trumpet section all played Bach.

That they all were playing Bach anyway didn't matter.

There's a poster of the 4 of them with their horns out there somewhere.

btw, if ya wanna hear some beautiful lyrical trumpet playing, listen to the closing credits of the Mel Gibson Sissy Spacek movie "The River" (1984) - that's Warren, who also gets screen credit.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
When Streisand did her "Farewell" performances (and we see how long that lasted, eh?) in Vegas a few years back, the section was Lew Soloff on Lead, Jerry Hey, Gary Grant, & Warren Luening.

I think it was Jerry who came up with the plan of contacting Bach with the idea that Bach would give each of the guys matching Bb's & flugels....gold plated Bb's & flugels....in Walt Johnson combo cases...for free....in return for Bach being able to advertise that Streisand's trumpet section all played Bach.

btw, if ya wanna hear some beautiful lyrical trumpet playing, listen to the closing credits of the Mel Gibson Sissy Spacek movie "The River" (1984) - that's Warren, who also gets screen credit.

Do you know if a clip of the closing credits trumpet solo exists?
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Yabbut Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually know 6 or 7 people who can do this. Just a little note: most who are able, tend to get annoyed at that crap too.

How many of them live beachfront in Malibu, have multiple Grammys, and get a gigantic "Christmas in July" (i.e. AFM Special payments fund) check?
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Hey come back from an injury to his throat a number of years ago?
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the chief wrote:
trpthrld wrote:

Do you know if a clip of the closing credits trumpet solo exists?

yep.

Available at www.netflix.com ....geez, rent the movie fer cryin' out loud!

seriously, it's worth watching & listening to....John Williams score....all that kinda stuff.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

jivepatrol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Warren Luening Tribute Page Reply with quote

For those of you interested, I have just created a Warren Luening Tribute Page.

http://www.lastudiomusicians.net/warrenlueningtributepage.htm

Best,
Dr. Gio Washington-Wright
www.lastudiomusicians.net

P.S. Keep up the great discussion, guys! I read these pages constantly. Trumpet players are BY FAR the people who visit the site the most.
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Warren Luening Tribute Page Reply with quote

jivepatrol wrote:
Trumpet players are BY FAR the people who visit the site the most.

Yeah, we're not working too much these days, huh?
WildCat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Yabbut Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Quote:

How many of them live beachfront in Malibu,...

None.

Quote:
...have multiple Grammys,...

Again, none.

Quote:
...and get a gigantic "Christmas in July" (i.e. AFM Special payments fund) check?

It depends on what you want to call "gigantic", but a couple of them receive the July checks.

Really though, the others chose different career paths (mostly software programming) out of discontent with the level of playing around them. When you're on top of your game, and the people around you simply don't deliver (which can get tiring), you have to consider the possibility of bailing, instead of trying to make the climb up the ladder. A lot of people have the playing and/or musicianship quality to be doing some really great things, but artistically-speaking, they're pretty much doing nothing. Factors other than ability can (and often do) get in the way of these things.

Contrary to what some people might believe, this stuff isn't like a fairy tale, but is rather difficult to establish yourself in. Jon Lewis will tell you how much crap he went through to get where he is. He took the abuse, and kept on trucking. That deserves some recognition, but the people who choose a different path aren't exactly "quitters" either.

To conclude though, I'm impressed by Jerry Hey, as well as the others I've brought up, but I don't envy him. I'm not putting him on a pedestal, and being the down-to-earth guy that people are talking about, I'm sure he'll more than understand.
jivepatrol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Jerry Hey interview (over one hour long!) Reply with quote

Listen to an AWESOME interview of Jerry about his life and career here:
http://www.lastudiomusicians.net/Jerry Hey on JPR.mp3
(this interview is over an hour long!)

The interview also includes commentary by:
Gary Grant
Cindy Hey (Jerry's wife)
Chuck Findley
and
Arturo Sandoval
jivepatrol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: New Jerry Hey pages Reply with quote

New Jerry Hey pages up...
http://www.lastudiomusicians.net/jerryhey76to86.htm
http://www.lastudiomusicians.net/jerryhey87to97.htm
http://www.lastudiomusicians.net/jerryhey98to08.htm

Last edited by jivepatrol on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
fraserhutch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about that lineup on Quncy's Emerald City Sequence:
Jerry Hey, Jon Faddis, Gary Grant, Chuck Findley, Lew Soloff, Randy Brecker, Alan Rubin...

HOLY SH*T if that wasn't a section for the ages.
Roger Ingram 1600is
Wild Thing Flugel
Dillon Rotary Picc.
GR and Curry Mouthpieces
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:

That "poster" was on the back cover (or perhaps an inside add) in an old down beat magazine. In any case it was a full page add. I thought it was an add for these guys playing gold plated sterling plus Bach belled trumpets?

Lew Soloff played lead on that tour? And I'd heard that Lew played old NY Med Bore Bach's ... or am I wrong? Anyway ... a highly reguarded trumpet section.
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I saw an actual poster of it somewhere, might have been in the Bach booth at a NAMM show or sumptin' like that.

And yes, Lew was her Lead trumpet on that set of performances, as he was on the tour she did a few years prior. I would imagine they swapped parts, but don't know for sure.

I seem to remember Chuck Findley might have been on one of the tours too.

Yes on his preference for med. bore Bachs.

Her section for the last 2 tours was all NY guys - Bob Millikan on Lead with Bud Burridge, Danny Cahn & I think Barry Danielian. Geez, what a vacation they got - only 9 performances spread out over 6 weeks, all in Europe - some of the guys said they actually got bored with nothing to do but play golf for days at a time.

EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Lew is a medium bore Bacher, usually plays a 47 NY and has a 43 Strad for lead work, and a couple of mouthpiece to switch around on.

Ed Mann
www.myspace.com/jazzlips
amtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random question: What flugel does Jerry Hey play on? I love his flugel sound!
jivepatrol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Jerry Hey flugelhorn Reply with quote

Jerry plays on Couesnon flugelhorns
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Pretty sure I saw an actual poster of it somewhere, might have been in the Bach booth at a NAMM show or sumptin' like that.

And yes, Lew was her Lead trumpet on that set of performances, as he was on the tour she did a few years prior. I would imagine they swapped parts, but don't know for sure.

I seem to remember Chuck Findley might have been on one of the tours too.

Yes on his preference for med. bore Bachs.

Her section for the last 2 tours was all NY guys - Bob Millikan on Lead with Bud Burridge, Danny Cahn & I think Barry Danielian. Geez, what a vacation they got - only 9 performances spread out over 6 weeks, all in Europe - some of the guys said they actually got bored with nothing to do but play golf for days at a time.

Hmmm ... with that section I wouldn't have pegged Lew as the lead player, but ...

The contactor must be from the east coast, or her mgt people are. In any case, nice to see good players gettin' the work. But ... there's good players out west here that can more than cut the mustard as well should the tours go to the west coast or Asia.
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: