• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Frank Sinatra, Jr.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Frank Sinatra, Jr. Reply with quote

I just finished a Frank Sinatra, Jr. rehearsal for tonight's gig and all I can say is that when you play the authentic charts, it makes the "reasonable facsimile" stuff out there sound even worse. Frank inherited the book when his Dad died and these are the real, original, hand copied charts. Nelson Riddle, Billy May and Don Costa. Some Neil Hefti and Quincy Jones [Billy Byer's?] as well. Jr. sings better now than when we worked together on the Sam Donahue led Tommy Dorsey band in the sixties and he was always a very good musician. Walt Johnson travels with him playing lead and also is sounding terrific. Style, sound, Walt has it together. Double Bb's...oh yeah! If you ever have the opportunity to play this show, by all means do it.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available in the US only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 or now in Europe at Musik-Bertram, Freiburg, Germany.
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I told you this, back when ... I played a "Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra" gig in southern CA ... Walt was on the lead book. Ever so appropriate in interpretation. It was a fun time. Glad to hear "the book" is in good hands, and Frank Sinatra Jr. is in good voice, and Walt is sounding good!
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony-

I played Jr. up here in Reno a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the venue (Atlantis Grand Ballroom) didn't have a large enough stage for the strings so they weren't hired. They went with 1 french horn and a harp and had one of their keyboard players simulate strings- Bummer!

Frank Sinatra, Jr. is truly a gig you'd Want to see and hear (especially hear!) even if you're not on the gig. Nobody out there pays so much attention to details in the music and arrangements as Frank and his M.D. Terry Woodson. If you have a chance to see/play Jr. with the full string section by all means do it!

Walt also hipped me to his "Soft Tone" practice mute that he's been using for years. I just got mine from Steve Dillard (HornTrader.com) and have been "auditioning" it for the past three days. Walt claims this mute is the only one out there that doesn't block the vibrations from the bell via mute corks, neoprene rings on the mute (Harmon) and it plays more like an open horn then any other mute. I think he's correct.

Although the sound isn't as controlled as the other practice mutes out there (and I've tried just about ALL), it Feels more like an open horn once you adjust the foam inner rings to your liking. It encourages you to blow and you can actually scream in it!

More on the mute later, but if any of you guys that have played the Rat Pack "facsimile" shows out there (I've played More than my share) get a chance to hear Jr. live. do it. You will come away with a new definition for "Lush Arrangements"!
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the stories, guys...

I guess I need to buy another mute now.
Nos Mo King
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Tony...the charts are great and the gig was great. Sinatra Jr. was spot on fantastic.. I was fortunate enough to play with them in two different areas during one of his tours a few years back...Tommy Porrelo and Walt Johnson split the lead..You are not kidding about Walt..he has some serious lead chops and power..

I was totally blown away with Tommy...the most incredible lead playing I have ever had the pleasure of hearing...He never missed and his wonderful sound still is etched in my head. Hope some of that musicianship drifted my way!

He and Walt did a nice job sharing the lead book and Walt did some nice soloing, too.

Thanks for posting this, Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Unrelated Reply with quote

I'm a n00b and can't figure out to make a new post, but I'm a performer check me out. I'm confident like a confident person and I can sing but no one will see me sing until I become renowned.

www.remanuphillips.com
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done Jr.s gig around ten times or so. I did a little mini tour of Fla with them back in the mid 90's when Frank Sr. was still touring. The band had Carl Fontana and Buddy Childers. Frank Jr's show was totally different from the way it is now. In a way, it was much hipper music. He played Ellington charts, Buddy Rich, charts and many original Nelson Riddle things. My favorite was "Pete Kelly's Blues" of which Frank sang the sh!t out of.. Many of the charts were written to feature Buddy Childers, a few times when Buddy was not there I got to play his book! It must have had a dozen trumpet solos in it, it was a blast trading with Carl Fontana!

Then when Frank Sr. died I played the show some more but all he did was play hid Dads charts, which is not a bad thing except that almost none of the solos are open horn, they are all in harmon mute (Sweets). Once on the oveture I played the solo on "Old Devil Moon" open, Jr. turned around and was really digging it, but right after the show I got scolded from Terry Woodson never to do that again (hey, sometimes you just got to be heard, Right?) You play all these solos into the harmon and always feel like nobody is hearing you, one of the few "open" solos is at the end of "The Coffee Song" and Walt would generally grab that one, I think I might have got to play it once though. But let me say it again........Jr.'s original book had almost none of his Dads stuff and was a jazz players gold mine.
He even had the original Cat Anderson version of "El Gato" in there. Once at the Fountainblue in Miami Beach I watched as Frank Jr. called that as the first tune of the rehersal at 10 in the morning.......poor Walt. Imagine walking into a rehersal at 10am and the very first thing you are asked to play is "El Gato"????????????

Chris Labarbera
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: