• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How does Corp. 3C compare to modern version

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atsfjohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fairly simple answer, NO:

Schilke addresses the mouthpiece size comparison issues by saying that in many cases, at least in the past, the cutters were sharpened--which removes some metal and changes the cup size, depth, rim contour, etc.--Schilke made it a point in their more recent mouthpiece brochures (I have one from 1999) to say they did not/do not sharpen the cutters, only REPLACE them.

I have ordered multiple mouthpieces from Schilke, from different production runs, and found the sizing to be remarkably consistent.

Unfortunately that is or was not in the fairly recent past (1999 and newer) true of UMI production (which includes Bach). When trying new trumpets recently, a friend and I noticed that even though they came with (in this case UMI/Benge) "3C" mouthpieces, ALL of the cups were different. I don't think any two mouthpieces were alike of the ones we saw. The oldest trumpets we were trying had been produced and delivered to the store during July of 1999, and were new old stock. So the mouthpieces would have been made circa 1999. Other trumpets were newer, with differently cut "3C" mouthpieces.

As my friend/teacher has numerous Bach mouthpieces around (he prefers the 3C for lead playing) he too has indicated that virtually NO two Bach 3C mouthpieces were cut the same in the past. Today, if you happen to buy them from the same lot, they should be consistent, but in the era discussed above, true consistency is not believed to have existed...for Bach, or Benge, or...

John
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

Thanks very much for this.

Lou
Bach 184ML Cornet - Kanstul custom Bach 3C
Besson 927 Sovereign Cornet - Bach 5A
B&H Imperial Cornet - Bach 5A
Bach 183 Flugel - Bach 3CFL
atsfjohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had some idea regarding when the various mouthpiece manufacturers switched over to cnc cutting, but I don't. Today, with the cnc cutting, the sizing should be much more consistent. But I have not measured any to tell. For me, if it looks the same and plays the same, I'm pretty happy with it. I have been unable to tell a difference even between silver and gold finished Schilke mouthpieces--they seem to play the same for me.

John
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John

With Bach, I always thought that the introduction of CNC technology coincided with the introduction of the large letter mouthpieces, but I have looked up the date of these, and 1997 is surely far too late. I believe early to mid 1990s, was more the date of the introduction of CNC technology. I really have little idea.

With Bach at least, although I have found the post-strike examples to be very similar (although I personally hate the post-strike 3C), up until the strike, they don't appear to have much if any more consistency, than previously.

Schilke, have always had a good level of consistency, so CNC technology has probably only made things easier for them manufacturing wise.

All the best

Lou
Bach 184ML Cornet - Kanstul custom Bach 3C
Besson 927 Sovereign Cornet - Bach 5A
B&H Imperial Cornet - Bach 5A
Bach 183 Flugel - Bach 3CFL
Druyff
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Sorry for grave digging primordial threads]
You'd think that internal diameter would be smaller if they sharpen a cutter.
I have a Bach Corp 10.5C that I keep getting back to and have no idea what to do if I ever lose it or it gets damaged other than take the risk and be without it for weeks while sending it all over the globe to get scanned.
Or what size to look for if I try other mouthpieces. It feels, plays and sounds way different than the JK copy. I don't think it's .590, more maybe like a Mt Vernon 7C that I have, but way different character and blow. The mouthpiece comparator tells me nothing.
jeirvine
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily 10 1/2c pieces from the Mt. Vernon and Corp periods are quite available, relative to larger cup sizes. There are generally plenty on eBay or elsewhere for under $50. So it would not be too expensive a safari to try to find another one similar to yours.

But it's probably best to just spend the $ to have it scanned, even if you don't get a copy made right away. With the scan, you could get one made were it to get damaged or lost.
1947 Olds Super Cornet
1948 Couesnon flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special
1956 Martin Committee
1964 Olds Recording
1968 Bach 329 C
1996 Bach 37
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Druyff wrote:
[Sorry for grave digging primordial threads]
You'd think that internal diameter would be smaller if they sharpen a cutter.
I have a Bach Corp 10.5C that I keep getting back to and have no idea what to do if I ever lose it or it gets damaged other than take the risk and be without it for weeks while sending it all over the globe to get scanned.
Or what size to look for if I try other mouthpieces. It feels, plays and sounds way different than the JK copy. I don't think it's .590, more maybe like a Mt Vernon 7C that I have, but way different character and blow. The mouthpiece comparator tells me nothing.

I use a mouthpiece stamped VINCENT BACH CORP. 5C and found another on eBay that feels identical to it. Took just a couple weeks to find a clean one and it wasn’t overly expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: