• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

military bands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Risden3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: military bands Reply with quote

Hoping some of you guys and girls out there with military band experience could help me out. I made my audition but cannot get a straight answer from my recruiter or liason. If I get it a band, how often will I have to move? How does it work? I really like this idea but I am not really sure if constantly picking up and moving are for me. Any one have any input. BTW I only made an audition so far for a national guard spot but am now seriously considering trying out for an Army active duty band.

Thanks,
Rich
Howie J
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a quick search. Military bands have been discussed in detail here. There are many current and former military trumpet players on here. All of them will be more than happy to share their experiences and views by post or PM.

Howie J
Monette B3FS7, B2L, C2S3 cut for Flex Couplers, AP4LD
Risden3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did search 18 pages, but did not find anything remotely on topic. I was hoping a few members of the TH might be able to offer a little help. I may try search again later and start at page 19.....
thanks,
Rich
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing trumpet in the Navy for 16 years and the short answer to your question is yes you will have to move, probably every 3 to 4 years. I know the Airforce can homestead (stay in one place) But the other services cannot, although I extended in Italy for a total of 8 years . It is no surprise the recruiter can't give you any answers, in general they don't get very many musicians and never know what to do with them when they do.
Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Nate
tpt978
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple threads for you:

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62430
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9243
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56191

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74910
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74955
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73873
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69850
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63980
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63317

I just put "military" into the search bot and control-f'd for "band". I may have missed some but I think those are the best threads on the subject here.

I'm not sure if the specifics of moving are discussed in any of those threads, but you could certainly find somebody who is involved and send them a PM.

There are plenty of military/ex-military folks who posted in those threads who could definitely give you the scoop.
jasonsaxhorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a trumpet player but I have not been in the military. Although I grew up in a Navy family. I will say from my experience that it is tough on the family. My mother basically raised three kids. It takes a toll. If you can make a top group then go for it. With these groups you stand a chance of never being transferred.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

I was in the 389th Army Band which at the time was stationed right there in your state @ Ft. Monmouth. Most people stayed in their original band their entire first enlistment back then.

Here's my advice, rather than talking to your recruiter or liason, go talk to people in the active duty band. Is there still one at Ft. Dix? And don't just talk to the NCO's & Commanders, talk to the the E-4's and E-5's......away from other higher ranking people. Those E-4's & E-5's are MUCH more likely to give you the straight scoop than the other folks.

Brad
Bb Bach ML
Couesnon flugel
American Standard cornet
Richard A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: military bands Reply with quote

Risden3 wrote:
Hoping some of you guys and girls out there with military band experience could help me out. I made my audition but cannot get a straight answer from my recruiter or liason. If I get it a band, how often will I have to move? How does it work? I really like this idea but I am not really sure if constantly picking up and moving are for me. Any one have any input. BTW I only made an audition so far for a national guard spot but am now seriously considering trying out for an Army active duty band.

Thanks,
Rich

I was not a Musician (MU), but I did spend 21 years on active duty in the US Navy. The U.S. Navy Band in Washington, D.C. and the Naval Academy Band in Annapolis, MD, are non-rotating duty. AFAIK, all the other bands are rotating duty, so you can plan on moving every 3-4 years.

In general terms (we're talking about the Navy here) , starting about a year before your Projected Rotation Date (PRD) you'll start talking to your detailer at the Bureau of Personnel about where you want to go next and what billets are coming open in your window of opportunity. The detailer (on your behalf), and the placement officer will negotiate to get as close to your wishes as is possible.

The MU community isn't that big, so in time you'll get to know pretty much who is where, when openings are coming, and how close those dates match your availability.

Best wishes-

Richard Ashmore
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the moving aspect of military life, I'll just say that the military makes it as easy on you as possible. It's never fun, but they'll send "professional" movers to your place and they pack everything for you, even your garbage if you have it lying around. They leave you with an empty house, you get in the car or on a plane with your horns and head to your new destination. Generally speaking, a month or so later you're in a new area, in a new house/apt. and the movers show up with your stuff. They unpack it all and remove the boxes.

That's the picture. I may be over-simplifying a little but that's pretty much what happens and the military pays for everything. I was in the Navy for eight years so I only moved a few times. Moving every three or four years was one of the best and one of the worst things about military life for me. On the flip side I literally have old friends in almost every corner of the globe. (Although some suck at keeping in touch...ehem!) Moving overseas on Uncle Sam's dime...worth every moment of the eight years I spent! The personal experience you gain and the ability to put international performance experience on your resume? Again, worth EVERY moment.

Just think it through really carefully before you decide to go in. Prepare to take full advantage of the time you will have to work on your axe, pay off your loans, get a free business degree, etc., etc. Anything to keep you active while you're in. For some, it can be easy to become lazy and sit around and complain about how much it sucks to be in the military.

That statement may ruffle some feathers, but it happens and I do wish I had prepared myself for it. That being said, if I could go back in time I wouldn't change a thing!

I'm speaking from my experience in the fleet. The DC Bands are an entirely different animal.
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Message received Jason!
jjohnson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nate! I knew you'd get that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: