• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Allegro!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GQBADBOY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Allegro! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

New to the forum - I'd like some feedback on a horn I'm thinking of getting.

I'm 80% sure I'll be getting it (I've got an Allegro Alto, and it's outstanding!) Just wondering if anyone owns this horn - or plays this horn regularly - how d'ya like it?

I play latin/jazz/salsa.
PhxHorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This horn is just a notch below a pro horn, but better than an intermediate. I think the main difference is the 2-piece bell.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I believe the major difference is that the "Allegro" line is a special line of instruments produced by Yamaha that is intended to protect the dealer's profit.

With the Allegro flute that I purchased for my daughter a while back the dealer explained that they have to enter an agreement with Yamaha to not discount the instrument or they are not allowed to carry it. Perhaps it is different now.

That said, my daughter's flute was a very nice professional flute that her flute instructor who teaches at Stanford thought was a good quality professional instrument.
GQBADBOY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Actually I believe the major difference is that the "Allegro" line is a special line of instruments produced by Yamaha that is intended to protect the dealer's profit.

With the Allegro flute that I purchased for my daughter a while back the dealer explained that they have to enter an agreement with Yamaha to not discount the instrument or they are not allowed to carry it. Perhaps it is different now.

That said, my daughter's flute was a very nice professional flute that her flute instructor who teaches at Stanford thought was a good quality professional instrument.

Interesting never knew that. I bought an Allegro Alto Sax recently and thought they were trying to sell me that instead of the Custom Z. But to be honest, the Sax I bought is outstanding, plays really well - pretty much a pro model for sure.

I was planning on buying the Bobby Shew Horn, but I'm pretty much an intermediate player who wants to play more latin.

I currently play on a WAL-MART First Act Horn, so even the Allegro would be a major upgrade for me. Just want to get an idea of the Allegro horn and where people have gone with it.

I'd have to say I'm not as good a trumpet player as I am on sax, but I'm wondering if this trumpet will be good on a latin gig.
johnnydtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit confused, Is this an alto trumpet you are looking at purchasing or an Alegro b flat trumpet?

The Allegro's I have play tested for students are very decent horns as the other posters have stated.

Good luck, and where do you perform?

John
BobXX
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhxHorn wrote:
This horn is just a notch below a pro horn, but better than an intermediate. I think the main difference is the 2-piece bell.

The Allegro is identical to the professional model YTR-6335 but with a 2-piece bell instead of 1-piece.

Class of '09

Last edited by BobXX on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
GQBADBOY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnydtrumpet wrote:
I am a bit confused, Is this an alto trumpet you are looking at purchasing or an Alegro b flat trumpet?

The Allegro's I have play tested for students are very decent horns as the other posters have stated.

Good luck, and where do you perform?

John

No it's a Bb Allegro trumpet - I have an Allegro Alto Saxophone as well. Looking to get the Allegro Trumpet.
johnnydtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, it is a very decent trumpet. You might also look into the Getzen line of trumpets if you are looking for quality but not trying to break the bank. Their horns are all fantastic no matter what level.

John
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

They're both. The 5335 is a 6335 with a different bell, and it's also only for sale at certain dealers: brick and mortar stores that want to have a product that isn't available mail order. Too many of them have found that they have become a place to try a horn before you buy it from someone else.

I like the 4335, 5335 and 6335. All are very good horns, and all seem to be underrated - the 6335 because it's not a Xeno, and the 4335 because it's an "intermediate" horn, and of course everybody knows they are junk. Pity that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: