• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Experimenting w/ Air Pockets....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Experimenting w/ Air Pockets.... Reply with quote

When I first started BE over 2 years ago (spring of 2006), I coulnd't do RI or anything else w/ air pockets. I played w/ a flat pointy chin & tightly locked corners. BE made huge & significant improvements right up front and I continue to improve steadily & solidly. I've noticed through 2008 a relaxing of my chin & lip corners, to the point that I can play w/ a bunched chin ad lib. Prompted by these changes & things I've read on TH BE forum, I decided to learn to initiate RI w/ a lip clamp squeek and air pockets, reasoning that I may find some hidden developmental benefit that puffing produces. After a few weeks of this, I am able to do almost all the RI's w/ this new technique. I think, maybe just maybe, I've found something.

Three octave lip slurs have always been a challenge. I can get a sound & hit the right partials at the top, but the sound is weak & I have to use a lot of mpc pressure for the top. The added pressure inhibits my top lip from rolling in. I've found that allowing a little puffing of the upper lip enables me to more easily roll my upper lip in and produce a clear (but not loud) tone at the top of a three octave lip slur without excessive pressure. I've been working w/ it. Every now and then I'm almost able to duplicate the "feeling" of the air pocket under the upper lip w/o actually puffing the upper lip. It's a whole new low pressure feeling that seems to the muscles in a different way to roll in. This relaxed, low pressure feeling may be the missing element I hadn't experienced by having never puffed before. (Hmmm.... sounds kinda like I've been puffing on something besides air, huh? )

I've been playing three octave scales and arpeggios, puffing the upper lip near the top then "de-puffing" as I descend. It's hard to imagine this puffing & de-puffing becoming a permanent part of my regular playing technique, but who knows? I don't want to rule anything out. It's a little awkward and seems to delay response (as the upper lip fills), but it does make the top notes pop out w/ relative ease.

(This is so difficult to describe, I hope I'm making sense here.)

Can anyone comment on this? Is this anything someone else has experienced using air pockets? Is this perhaps a means to an end or perhaps this technique could be employed during regular playing on a permanent basis? Does anyone use air pockets only at the top of their range for their regular playing?

"Inquiring minds want to know!"

Valerie
jimh46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Experimenting w/ Air Pockets.... Reply with quote

I can definitely relate to your experience with air pockets.
I had a lesson with Jeff recently and he started by asking to hear my LCS, it sounded fine but I mentioned that I was having problems transitioning it to the horn.

He then asked me to do a LC Hiss, complete with air pockets, and then bring the mouthpiece to my lips. My lips immediately started to vibrate and a tone ensued. It felt very good because there I was, for the first time, blowing a tone through my horn in the LCS (very rolled in) position.

The tone was a bit stuffy but it felt very comfortable (and a bit strange with the cushion) but is now the basis for starting all my RI exercises.

I had bypassed the LC Hiss because the LCS came easily from the outset of starting BE, I felt that didn't need it as it was really meant as an introductory exercise for novices as means to enable them to do LCS. I have a mature embouchure and play 'Rolled In' naturally anyway.

So this seemingly innocuous exercise became a turning point for me and I think its success was due to the air pockets which seem to cause the lips to to Roll In (Rotate) further to a point where they produce higher tones more naturally (and in a more relaxed way). I also think that when I get used to playing on the cushion caused by the air pockets that my endurance will also improve.

I think, therefore, that air pockets are a very important element to introduce into BE, whether or not they remain permanent features of one's normal playing, they certainly seem to be a good progress facilitator.

I also strongly believe that the BE book needs to be constantly re-read in the context of one's progress at any given time. I find that as I progress many of the details (some of which I have previously overlooked) take on new significance, re-inforcing the underlying message and enabling further development to take place.

I hope this response didn't digress too far from your point.

Regards
Jim
MaryAnn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, interesting. I haven't been very regular with BE practice but I can still do high C and down about to G with the air pocket RI LC embouchure; decent tone on the higher notes but less so (airy) as I go lower. And of course, with the air pockets, about zero pressure because pressure squashes the air pocket.

And I did start exactly as the book says, with a LC hiss and bringing the trumpet (then; now it's horn) up to my face. It took a while to figure out how much "pressure" to use on the air pockets, and it's not much "pressure" at all; just slightly more than just touching. But the lack of "effort" has continued. One has to jump ball parks to do BE if one is accustomed to the squeeze-and-press way of playing high.

However, since my normal pointy-chin embouchure works fine in the midrange, what I stuggle with is the shift from RO to RI as I ascend, which I just can't do yet. (Maybe I could if I had done steady practice.) We're playing American Overture in a concert in a week or so, and hitting the second G is more hit-or-miss for me; since I can't practice (due to the dystonia) I operate on confidence. Hopefully during the concert it is "hit" and not "miss."

Then when I get down into my "dystonia range," which is from about third-line B down to about D, I have to switch to a bunched-chin embouchure away from pointy, because pointy in that range starts my jaw to quivering and the sound resembles a bad soprano's vibrato. And, BTW, I arrived at this bunched-chin thing on my own, well before BE, in trying to find something, anything, that would allow me to play in that problematic range.

MA
Valerie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think, therefore, that air pockets are a very important element to introduce into BE, whether or not they remain permanent features of one's normal playing, they certainly seem to be a good progress facilitator.

Well said, Jim. I'm becoming more & more comfortable w/ a little pocket under the upper lip. It gently fills now almost w/o my thinking as I ascend and empties as I descend. You are right that air pockets are good progress facilitators.

Mary Ann, your discription several months ago of how you tackled RI w/ air pockets was actually the inspiration for me to go back & try it. I can play RI w/o air pockets and w/ very little pressure, usually w/ a nice tone, but somehow adding the air pockets delivers a whole new feel to the RI. What the air pockets do is force me to isolate & use only the muscles necessary to roll in, leaving the others relaxed. Isn't that the aim, to use the very least muscle power necessary to do the job? Why should we tense muscles that don't contribute to the end result?

This reminds me of the LaMaze breathing exercises I learned to do while I was pregnant. The object was to relax as many muscles as possible during labor to avoid excess fatigue, pain so the birth process could progress un-impeded by excessive muscle tension.

So RI #1 with air pockets facilitates the birth of a healthy 7 pound high C!

Valerie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: