• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 37 vs. Bach 43 bell

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Bach 37 vs. Bach 43 bell Reply with quote

I've played a 37. I think I have a feel for what a 72 is like and also a 25. But the 43 is totally unknown to me. Mostly interested in how it compares to the 37 and what types of playing it is best suited for. I've read the descriptions on the Bach site. Doesn't seem to tell me much. Thanks.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a little more open, and a little brighter than the 37. I've had one 37 and two 43's, and prefer the standard 43 with the 25 leadpipe - that's what I've been playing for the past 20 years or so. Even though it's a little brighter than a 37, it still has that great core sound and can be mellowed out with the right mouthpiece if you choose to.

I've used mine in a symphony orchestra, brass quintet, pit orchestra, church orchestra, concert band, and big band, to name a few. It's very versatile, like the 37.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I'd say it's a little more open, and a little brighter than the 37. I've had one 37 and two 43's, and prefer the standard 43 with the 25 leadpipe - that's what I've been playing for the past 20 years or so. Even though it's a little brighter than a 37, it still has that great core sound and can be mellowed out with the right mouthpiece if you choose to.

I've used mine in a symphony orchestra, brass quintet, pit orchestra, church orchestra, concert band, and big band, to name a few. It's very versatile, like the 37.
Thanks, Dale. I'm a small combo jazz guy and I have a 37 but it just doesn't work quite right for me.... kind of dull and thin to my ear, but that's me. I just wondered how bright the 43 is and how flexible. I may borrow a 72 bell and try it out for a while, but have not had any experience with the 43.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a little off subject but maybe the problem is the bracing and not the bell...?

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Strad was and is a 43. It is a very versatile horn and has an oppulent quality to the tone. I have used it in multiple settings. I have 37's as well and they are great also.

I think the 43 is very underrated. It's my favorite Bach Bb bell.
'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
jazz50's

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 've played and owned both 37 and 43 bells.The tone in the 43 has less core and projection,but is more spread,warmer,and with much more colors to play with!So,I 'd say it would fit better in a small combo setting.But,since you own that 46' Committee,what do you need the Bach for?
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz50's wrote:
I 've played and owned both 37 and 43 bells.The tone in the 43 has less core and projection,but is more spread,warmer,and with much more colors to play with!So,I 'd say it would fit better in a small combo setting.But,since you own that 46' Committee,what do you need the Bach for?
Need? What's that got to do with it?

I knew someone would bring that up. Truth is I learn best by asking, then trying. By the way, the Blessing is no slouch either.... it works great in lots of settings. Very different than the Martin, but still works. I picked up a 37 and for some reason, I like it least. I don't think there is anything wrong with the horn and I like Bachs from the 80s and earlier. But just wondered about the 43.

michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject has come up before. We all can read 'the factory' description of the Bach bells, but there's so much more to the horn(s). Proper brace placement is a very important factor, and can separate a GREAT playing trumpet from a lemmon.

All things being equal I prefer the Bach 37 bell flare. A more defined core to the sound. The 43 bell is nice but a bit more spread, and the 72 bell spreads a bit too much for me in an accoustical situation. However, my favorite Al Vizzutti recording is the first LP he did on a Bach 72* gold plated with Amado spit valves. So ...

FWIW ... Scodwell B Flat trumpets use a Bach 37 bell flare ( bent to Tony's spec's ) and are a 25 guage brass. I've not played a horn I like any better, or that projects or records better.
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bach 37 vs. Bach 43 bell Reply with quote

supportlivejazz wrote:
I've played a 37. I think I have a feel for what a 72 is like and also a 25. But the 43 is totally unknown to me. Mostly interested in how it compares to the 37 and what types of playing it is best suited for. I've read the descriptions on the Bach site. Doesn't seem to tell me much. Thanks.

I have owned both a 37 and a 25 but I would say the 43 is my favorite.
I find my RL 43 Bach ML very versatile...it is a horn I feel I could take into almost any situation. I use mine for duo..small combo, larger soul band and church. I use my Committee when I want the warmer more intimate sound in those situations. I have found like Michael that the sounds spreads so it is easy to blend and hear yourself...when pushed it brightens...could sizzle in the right hands... easily cuts over the band and has the lovely Bach dark sound when you need it. I find the RL has a similar feel in blow to my Committee so going back and forth is easy.....

Well worth trying... and different enough from the Committee to justify another horn

Walter
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 43 is also my favorite. I would love to play a 72 LR and compare the two.
trumphat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lightweight Strad that started off with a 37 bell. I had it converted to a tuneable bell set up and bought a light weight 43 bell to also use. The difference was significant. The 43 was brighter and projected better - It really has a zing to it. A few years later I bought a mt vernon 37 that is a great horn, so I had the light weight converted to a conventional set up ( I didn't really dig the tunable bell set up) with the 43 bell. I use it for big band lead and commercial work. If you want brighter with projection try a 43.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
I'd say it's a little more open, and a little brighter than the 37.
Me too...didn't work for me. I prefer the 72
trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played many 37's including 3 Mt. Vernon Strads. I really like the more open feel of this particular 43H which Tom Green just overhauled. Taylor rings, Curry brass valve action rods and Curry lightweight finger buttons were all plated in hard nickel and installed on the horn. Tom did a valve alignment as well and applied a brushed finish and had it coated with clear lacquer. This horn really has impressed me.

I had the original main tuning slide overhauled with a MK NY crook and inside tubes. Also, a MK full radius slide was lacquered in the brushed finish which really works well in this horn. Either slide is an improvement over the original D slide. I just like the blow much more than the 37.

supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way a trumpet is supposed to look.... IMHO. Very nice indeed. Above and beyond the actual cost of the trumpet... would you share what you have into it? If you won't I totally understand, but had to ask. Thanks for posting the photo.

Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 43 is sort of between the 37 and the 25. I personally find my sound on the 43 to be too much towards "shrill" rather than "bright", however other players have had more success with that setup.
ShawnMAnderson

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael manthey wrote:
This subject has come up before. We all can read 'the factory' description of the Bach bells, but there's so much more to the horn(s). Proper brace placement is a very important factor, and can separate a GREAT playing trumpet from a lemmon.

All things being equal I prefer the Bach 37 bell flare. A more defined core to the sound. The 43 bell is nice but a bit more spread, and the 72 bell spreads a bit too much for me in an accoustical situation. However, my favorite Al Vizzutti recording is the first LP he did on a Bach 72* gold plated with Amado spit valves. So ...

FWIW ... Scodwell B Flat trumpets use a Bach 37 bell flare ( bent to Tony's spec's ) and are a 25 guage brass. I've not played a horn I like any better, or that projects or records better.

Just w second chime in on Tony's horns. I have SN 0297, a Standard, one of 2 he underslung (flipped) 3rd slide on at customer request plus Harrelson VGR. I don't have rings fit the VGR, but it is handedly the best Bb I've owned (around 30) or even played. Most of those during the same time so that I could compare without hurry.) I've also had 3 of his Signatyre 2000 Custom Series Bb's (NY tunable 25g 37 bell + LA Dizzy tunable bell design by Kieffer which matched what Monnet was doing Bach then I believe) both very lovely.
5 x C Strad's 229/239/236G/ C Spada
1 x Kanstul 1600S
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

43 belled Bachs are kinda rare in the Netherlands, I found one on the Dutch marketplace and bought it, it was a 43* with a 25 leadpipe
To me it was the best sounding Bach I ever played yet she was that free blowing that I sold it after a few weeks, it was like I tried to play on a vacuum cleaner

Anyway, great sound, not shrill at all, a rather broad sound pallet; I really didn't like to let her go but hey, I am not a horn collector and I sold her to someone who was really happy with her
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I found a great price on an unaltered Mt. Vernon, I snapped it up. Looking at the EBay photos, I quickly started to fear it was a 43 not a 37 and like the OP, was in uncharted waters for me. I contacted Roy Hempley and he confirmed my eye - it was a 43, but encouraged me to just give it a try and ignore all of the "bright" reputation.

You will see that 43 on the cover of my book, and while I now own Bachs from almost every design period and including 25, 37, 43 and 72 bells, that horn is my favorite Bach.

For a time, the Selmer description of the 43 matched that of the 37, except they added the words "with a little more control" (speaking about tonal character). That description is spot on. It has that warm core of a 37, it spreads a little more but certainly will be heard when you push. And, as indicated by others, you can shape the tone more from bright to rich, much like a 25 bell, by what you do with it.

For the OP's stated purpose, I think it is just as good a choice as the more popular LR72. Its all in mouthpiece selection and playing - the 43, especially with the 25 pipe, gives the player more control over their sound than any other Bach I have played.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43's generally are my favorite Bachs. They aren't super bright when I play them (cause me), and they're open and flexible enough.

I want to like 72's because of how they sound, but I haven't played any that really jived with me.

I like how 37's sound when others play them, but I don't generally enjoy them myself - as far as playability or sound, but mostly playability. There have been a few exceptions, but I can count them on a hand - and I've played a ton of these. Still, a good choice for many, it seems.

I'd love to give the 7/7 a try someday. It's sounds right up my alley on paper.

I don't recall ever playing a 25 bell, and for sure I haven't had an opportunity to play the 38 or 65.

I think more Bach players would be happier venturing out of the 37 space than is common - definitely to the 43 as that's very approachable and friendly and improves some of the common drawbacks of the 37. I think, reading some of Vincent's own notes, he felt the same way. I'm not saying no one should play the 37 or that it shouldn't be as common as it is (because I don't think it matters much to many players), but I think a few more people should open their minds a bit and give those other options a try.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
SterlingBell

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 43 Sterling Bell Bach from 1990. It is my third Bach Bb. I started with a 37 bell in 1968, 43 bell in 1980 and the 43 Sterling Bell in 1990. I think my ears just developed a liking for that sound. Funny, my high school students all sound better on a 37 bell. Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: