• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CSO Chorus 50th Anniversary CD Review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: CSO Chorus 50th Anniversary CD Review Reply with quote

Well folks....we seem to be branching out. As I was going through the September/October American Record Guide I came across the CSO Chorus review. In refering to the Christmas Oratorio the reviewer Philip Greenfield makes the comment

"...but the spirited singing is accompanied by briliant trumpet work that's impossible to resist. (with Mr. Herseth leading the way, I presume); so brass aficionados (especially the chatty regulars at trumpetherald.com) won't want to miss any of this."

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap. TH is has gone mainstream.

sjtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Nice!
johntpt
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I listened through this set in the car. Lots of great stuff!! Some of my favorite Herseth recordings are on the piccolo - Brandenburg 2, Pictures, Rite, Bolero, B Minor Mass, and the classic Solti Messiah. Here are included Bach's opening chorus' from parts one and three of Christmas Oratorio and the unusual one movement Cantata 50, which has some nice high trumpet parts!! Solti conducts a blazing performance of Belshazzar's Feast in 1976, and again Bud on the picc in Symphony of Psalms in 2000 with Boulez conducting.

My only complaint is with the partial pieces represented - I want to hear the whole performances! Wouldn't a complete Vaughan Williams Sea Symphony be thrilling?? Here only the third movement is included. We only get two movements from Verdi's Requiem - Sanctus and Libera Me from 1968 - I want to hear the whole piece!!

Other than that the set is well worth hearing. Also included is a rare performance of Strauss' Die Tageszeiten for Male Chorus and Orchestra conducted by Erich Leinsdorf in 1979.

JU
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all would be amazed by who actually takes a look around TH from time to time...

This looks like one for my Christmas list -- timely, as my wife just asked what I wanted, and insisted it had to be more than "shirts"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: