• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Large bore trumpets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,

I would be interested in your thoughts as to why you would want to design and play an instrument like that and what type of sound you would be looking for. The bore and bell size is getting into small bore bone territory and the large, shallow mouthpiece is certainly a different take on a theme. Most large bore trumpet players I know tighten up their mouthpieces to compensate.

Regards,

Trevor
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like Kanstul's new bass trumpet with a small receiver

www.kanstul.com on the trombone page!
regularsopguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry wrote:
Slap a trumpet receiver on this, and save yourself the R&D costs:

King 1130 Bb Flugabone, $1,095.00. Key of Bb, 8-1/2" bell, .500" bore.
from http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/ProductPage/688179.aspx

There's your ~ 8" bell and ~ .484 bore ...

- Brian

Kanstul makes a better one! My school program has four of these babies!

The build is better and so is the intonation. The valves work too.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to the integral mpc, I have an idea. How about make the leadpipe and receiver solid, but allow the cup \ rim to be changed ala Warburton style screw on "tops". Just screw whatever cup \ rim you want onto the fixed backbore\receiver\leadpipe.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regularsopguy wrote:
sounds like Kanstul's new bass trumpet with a small receiver

www.kanstul.com on the trombone page!

Didn't get to play it, but I got to hold it! The picture is of the prototype. There were four actual bass trumpets in the factory that day. Two were in the buffing foom and two were ready to ship. All four were silver plated. they are reputed to be a better horn than the Bach equivalent (as assessed by some local pros that play Bach horns and tried Kanstul's prototype).

Okay, Tony. So how did this "fishing trip" of yours turn out?

Brian

p.s. I still like .464" horns best!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Scodwell VERY large bore trumpet Reply with quote

Trevor has hit upon something here. Guys who play large bore horns tend to compensate with smallish mouthpieces. My theory is to go with a very large bore horn and a very small [shallow] mouthpiece. My experience with my mellophonium is what brought me to this concept. At first the Kenton mellophonium section were playing on rather shallow pieces and bugging the hell out of the trumpet section cause they could play much higher for longer periods of time. Of course the notes were mellophoniumish, which is to say not trumpet like. Non the less they were high and loud, which is what I assume a lot of guys want to do these days. God knows, I was dubbed the "Maynard Ferguson of the Mellophonium" in a review of the Kenton band in England in 1963. Large bore, high notes, not killing yourself, louder than the rest of the band, come on, what's not to like here?
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns
"Live In The Studio" by the Tony Scodwell Big Band now at CD Baby
Coming from Hal Leonard, "Big Band Classics featuring Tony Scodwell"
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA! I was right! As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking you were describing a mellophone. I was also thinking you had your tongue planted in your cheek!
I played a .484 Holton for about 8 years. As Flip measured it, the valve ports were smaller by various amounts, but the slides were all .484. I used a Callet Varicup-Bukur 15S with that monster, and I got band burying volume out of it. It was great for when the prima dona singer would stand in front of me . . .
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony,
Assuming that you are not just yanking our waterkeys on this - the most successful model for your trumpet should be the Conn 80A Vic "cornet". No need for a large diameter bell but the bell on the Con Vic seems be be larger in internal diameter up to the end part of the flare. The leadpipe is an extremely fast taper - going from a cornet mpc to .485 or so very quickly. Control the resistance in the front end of the leadpipe rather than choking the bell. Make it a tunable bell - the Conn Vic's Opera glass tuning slide was really a tunable bell. Use a bass trumpet valve casing that has an actual .485 internal valve not just slide diameter - however I have one that I think has a .468 valve cluster with .485 slides that works well too. If you like larger bore horns of this design, there is no need for a super shallow or tight mouthpiece. just a backbore that matches the cup depth. It might be easier, however to make it a long model "cornet" like the Mendez or the Conn 28A - a trumpet with a cornet mouthpiece. This would give you more control over the leadpipe taper. You might actually be able to sell a few of these.

Of players I know who like open horns - most of us started on the largebore Olds or Conn cornets of the 50's. Our downfall was being talked into our first Bach trumpet.
MarioChanelio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .484 sounds huge. I had trouble playing a .470 because of the air it took. I guess it would be the right horn for the right player. Good luck with the project.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried out the Martin Magna Mic Gillette model with the .484 bore (and 6" bell), but it was too much for me. Stuck with the .470 for 25 years, and wish I could still make that one scream, but I can't any more. But you might want to look at one for research purposes. They play very well, and project like a beast (and in all directions), but require some serious power.
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regularsopguy wrote:
B_Starry wrote:

- Brian

Mine is similar to this one, only it is a 1981 King. I wonder if Zig designed it?
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
I tried out the Martin Magna Mic Gillette model with the .484 bore (and 6" bell), but it was too much for me. Stuck with the .470 for 25 years, and wish I could still make that one scream, but I can't any more. But you might want to look at one for research purposes. They play very well, and project like a beast (and in all directions), but require some serious power.

Weren't there only 6 Martin Magna's (.484)ever made? Is that true?
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mcahynuacrkd"]
regularsopguy wrote:
B_Starry wrote:

- Brian

Mine is similar to this one, only it is a 1981 King. I wonder if Zig designed it?

I would describe the intonation as average at best, and it is very difficult to get a pro sound out of one. The compact design is very convenient in certain settings (like church).
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Tony,
Assuming that you are not just yanking our waterkeys on this - the most successful model for your trumpet should be the Conn 80A Vic "cornet". No need for a large diameter bell but the bell on the Con Vic seems be be larger in internal diameter up to the end part of the flare. The leadpipe is an extremely fast taper - going from a cornet mpc to .485 or so very quickly. Control the resistance in the front end of the leadpipe rather than choking the bell. Make it a tunable bell - the Conn Vic's Opera glass tuning slide was really a tunable bell. Use a bass trumpet valve casing that has an actual .485 internal valve not just slide diameter - however I have one that I think has a .468 valve cluster with .485 slides that works well too. If you like larger bore horns of this design, there is no need for a super shallow or tight mouthpiece. just a backbore that matches the cup depth. It might be easier, however to make it a long model "cornet" like the Mendez or the Conn 28A - a trumpet with a cornet mouthpiece. This would give you more control over the leadpipe taper. You might actually be able to sell a few of these.

Of players I know who like open horns - most of us started on the largebore Olds or Conn cornets of the 50's. Our downfall was being talked into our first Bach trumpet.

The Victor 80A has many bends, which really mellows out its sound.
Surprisingly, I own both a pre Conn Limited Victor 80 A(gold plate, 1914? 474 bore?) , and a Conn Circus Bore Cornet, and in my opinion as a former Wild Thing (great trumpet btw)owner neither play big like a Flip Oakes Wild Thing.

The original Conn Mellophoniums were extremely loud, when I was in hs band I played one my freshman year, and if I wanted to I could easily overpower the band with the mellophonium, but the tone, less than to be desired in my humble opinion.

Why did the pure conical circular design not produce a desirable tone?
Who knows as the massive Corso flugelhorn , IMHO was rejected for the same reason, and was called (not by me)"a dog".

Bach pro trumpets are very good, and do not deserve to be dissed.
I once owned a lovely Mt. Vernon and it was a very good trumpet. In my opinion pro line Bach trumpets do not sound anywhere near as beautiful as a Calicchio, but they do sound very nice.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcahynuacrkd wrote:
dershem wrote:

Weren't there only 6 Martin Magna's (.484)ever made? Is that true?

It's what I was told by Mic.
MarioChanelio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious about the concept behind making a horn with such a large bore. I know that usually they are much harder to play for long periods of time and require much more air. Maybe this horn would be good for building up air and endurance. Sort of like the breather tool they give patients to build up their lung capacity. I know it would be an instrument on a professional level as well but maybe it would become a great practice tool. Sort of like lifting weights to build up strength. Just a thought.
connloyalist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be accurate:

Quote:
Conn 28B?(not 29b , the 28 b was in Bb, the 29B in A )

Correct, 28B was the low pitch Bb 0.484" bore Conn trumpet in the 1920's. Outwardly identical to the 22B. The 29B wasn't in A, it was high pitch, A~456 Hz.

camelbrass wrote:
The bore and bell size is getting into small bore bone territory

Depends on what era you are looking at. In the early 1900's when the Conn 2H was a popular instrument, a trombone in 0.484" was called "medium bore". The 2H, you see, is a 0.458" trombone. Now THAT is a SMALL bore Played by people like Arthur Pryor if memory serves.

The 0.484" bore trombones were very popular through the 1930's and 1940's as a medium bore non-symphonic trombone. Many of Conn's popular trombone models in those days were 0.484" bore (4H, 12H, 44H).

Which I suppose is not relevant to this discussion.

Regards, Christine
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bore size is a red herring.
Its the overall resistance of the instrument combined with the compression of the mouthpiece that needs to be balanced to make a workable trumpet. If the blow feels too resistive you will tire easily and the same if its too open.

For example, most rotary trumpets are around 0.435" bore but the bells are larger which compensates. My Monette trumpet is a medium bore but with a bell flare and mouthpiece backbore and throat which balances this out.

My cornet is .484 but this simply overcomes the resistance introduced by all the extra bends in the short cornet design and makes it more playable for longer periods as the resistance feel is more like a trumpet.

If I put my lips over the mouthpiece and exhale into it I want to feel an initial small resistance with this reducing once the air is flowing. If I have a set up which is too open or too closed it restricts my range, dynamic range and ability to articulate.

I think this is why I have such a strange mismatched set of instruments. They have been selected to have similar blowing characteristics.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
. . . Correct, 28B was the low pitch Bb 0.484" bore Conn trumpet in the 1920's. Outwardly identical to the 22B. The 29B wasn't in A, it was high pitch, A~456 Hz. . . . Regards, Christine

Oh my gosh Christine! I want a 28B (22B with extra extra elbow room! ) so badly!!!!

I played a Strad 25 (.462) for over a quarter century and I had a Yammmy 739T (.462 Schilke copy) for a few months recently. I love that big roomy feel. I had to give up both horns to pursue my love of CONN

You know how things so often come up in twos on eBay? Well, a while back two 28B's came up inside of a week. Both had valves worn right down to the bronze; obviously played right to death. I really would like to find a playable or original, but then, perhaps a valve job will just be a fact of life when it comes to one of these.

As for the introduction of a new king-size bore . . . bring it!!!! I won't be able to buy one as I'm sticking to CONN, but I'm sure lots will!!!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarioChanelio wrote:
Just curious about the concept behind making a horn with such a large bore. I know that usually they are much harder to play for long periods of time and require much more air. Maybe this horn would be good for building up air and endurance. Sort of like the breather tool they give patients to build up their lung capacity. I know it would be an instrument on a professional level as well but maybe it would become a great practice tool. Sort of like lifting weights to build up strength. Just a thought.

I thought the same thing, then thought about the fact that trombone players play an instrument with practically NO resistance as we think of it, and even 100 lb 6th graders learn to do long tones. Once you get the mental concept and put the resistance in the chops, rather than leaning on the horn, bore size no longer matters.

I read something a while back about blowing through the mouthpiece, and I think the analogy given was to blow to the tuning slide, rather than to the mouthpiece. I tried it and could feel a difference. The sound got bigger, my tuning slide had to come out as I was playing much sharper than normal, and endurance went down a bunch.

With cornet, particularly the big bore Conns, I put the resistance in the chops, and go for resonance rather than volume. If you feel the cornet vibrate in your hand, then either you have a solder spot on a brace coming loose (practically nonexistent with the Conn straight brace) or you have set up the proper resonant waves through the instrument. Some may read this and say "Duh, that's the way ALL good instruments play!" but I don't get this with trumpet very often.

When you get that resonant wave going, it takes less air to maintain a quality sound than without it. At that point, bore size only affects the amount of adjustment at the embouchure, rather than amount of air you put through the horn. Too much air disrupts the resonance, takes away from volume, and begins a vicious cycle of diminishing returns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: