• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pivot Pedagogy

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to start a beginner in the Pivot System? Hello? Anybody read the Bible (The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System) anymore? Page 183 Question 75. What is regarded as the traditional [wrong] method of starting a beginner on a brass instrument? through pages 185-189 Question #76...what procedure is generally used to start the beginner with the PIVOT SYSTEM? Remember, a beginner in the PIVOT SYSTEM could be a young child or a seasoned veteran in trouble.
Dave S.
scream
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, Rich....very pithy answers.

Dave S. as usual comes through with page and verse. I started looking through the book and hadn't gotten that far yet. Most of the answers are there. I tend to get too wrapped up in my handouts and forget to read the book.....

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously.
Hubert H. Humphrey
US politician (1911 - 1978)
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to finding the "correct" mouthpiece placement/embouchure type, I'm asking more generally, rather than concerning a specific student. Maybe my own experience and introduction to the Pivot System can offer some insights and raise more questions.

Through most of college into graduate school I had been playing as what I think was a Type IIIB. I had a lot of trouble, most specifically a poor high register, fuzzy tone, and trouble with splitting attacks. In a lesson with Doug Elliott I was changed to a Type IVA. Doug watched me play a bit and then had me hold out pitches (high B flat and F above the staff mostly, if I remember correctly) while he moved my horn angle around.

What is the purpose of moving the horn angle around like this? Is this something Doug picked up from Doc or did he come up with this approach on his own? How would this help find an efficient mouthpiece placement or is this just to help look for the "legs?"

Anyway, back to my story. After checking out my IIIB embouchure for a bit Doug asked me to try placing my mouthpiece higher (like a IIIA), although he started off by stating he didn't think this was going to help but he wanted to check it just in case. He asked me to try playing as high as I could, as well as hold out pitches again while he moved the horn angle around. It didn't help.

Then he asked me to move my mouthpiece placement low, like a type IV or IVA. This was initially unsucessful because I was still trying to direct the airstream downwards as before. After describing to me what he was after I was able to get my lips in a more correct position and was able to play a thin, miserable high F for the first time in my life.

I have had some success duplicating this process with a few of my students, but sometimes it doesn't work. Using this approach I've also helped some students find their legs by not changing their embouchure type but by suggesting they try allowing the placement to move to one side or another.Is this the equivelent of "knocking it in?" If so, describe the "baby it in" approach, please. Is it ever detrimental to do this kind of experimentation with a student or do you feel it can be helpful? Would it be better to just allow mouthpiece placement to move where it "wants" to naturally?

Dave W.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been waiting for one of our other Reinhardt followers to answer your questions, Dave.

You and I need to talk on the phone here in the near future. I'm pressed for time right at the moment, and haven't had the plentitude of time necessary to give your questions a thoughtful response.

And that's why I'm still waiting for one of our other Reinhardt cats to jump in.

Rich
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the "holding the note and moving your horn around" thing means he was trying to hear the core sound; trying to find the best pressure point ( weight area ) on the chops. All part of trying to find your correct pivot angle......it works, too...it was done to me....I woulda never thought...... :^) Bob
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave;
What you ask would take me a considerable amount of time to answer here in the forum.
Each student is a seperate case and what works for one might not work for the other even if they are the same type.
It is almost impossible to analyze and correct a students problem without seeing him/her in person.
Even then it may take more than one lesson to arrive at the correct answer.
I think I can answer some of your questions via phone.
I will be in my office Wednesday night and Thursday.
Leave a message if I do not answer.
Give me a call if RW has not answered your questions.
WEG
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bill, for this very intelligent post. I would like to add, that to "blanket- solve" individual problems without an "in-person" observation is not advised, for "one man's meat is another man's poison", as Doc was so apt to say.
I would like to use Doc's words on the following, that will apply to ALL of the browsers here on this forum and will just perhaps answer Dave W.'s questions ...Doc says: "All too many students take "THE TRIO OF DAILY PLAYING CALISTHENICS" which consists of "The Buzzing Routine" (to reduce embouchure flabbiness and increase vibrating fluency) - "The Jaw Retention Drill" (to strengthen the jaw muscles) - and "The Pencil Trick Routine" (to increase over-all embouchure compression) - all too lightly. Four minutes must be spent on each of the three drills, with plenty of rest between them. these drills should be a daily occurrence for your entire playing life and this is stated without exaggeration. ...To make the embouchure too firm, rather than too loose, a split-second before actual mouthpiece rim contact against the embouchure is a must as far as being on the safe side is concerned."
"[DAILY DRILL #FOUR] (along with the trio of daily playing calisthenics) : FIRM THE MOUTH CORNERS IN AND AGAINST YOUR TEETH (positively not backward or forward), THIS FIRMS YOUR ENTIRE EMBOUCHURE FORMATION AS IT MUST BE BEFORE ACTUAL MOUTHPIECE PLACEMENT. IN SHORT, IT IS THE BUZZING FORMATION WITH THE LOWER JAW IN ITS EXACT PLAYING POSITION. ...Sustain this firmed mouth corner in and against the teeth formation, with the lower lip in buzzing position (slightly inward and over the lower lip) for a few seconds at a time at first, then strive to build up the number of seconds without fatigue. After a few days of this, place your mouthpiece on this saturated, firm embouchure, inhale through the nose, and play. If it feels different than usual, then you can see just how far your placement mannerism has taken you "off base" - so to speak.
Trust this helps ALL players. I know it will. Pay special attention to the 4th drill's words "The Buzzing FORMATION with the lower jaw in its exact playing position"! So here we know not to Buzz and expect our (lower)jaw to be in the playing position.
thanks, Dave S.

[ This Message was edited by: airdyn on 2003-04-22 08:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: airdyn on 2003-04-22 08:12 ]
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to use Doc's words on the following, that will apply to ALL of the browsers here on this forum and will just perhaps answer Dave W.'s questions ...Doc says: "All too many students take "THE TRIO OF DAILY PLAYING CALISTHENICS" which consists of "The Buzzing Routine" (to reduce embouchure flabbiness and increase vibrating fluency) - "The Jaw Retention Drill" (to strengthen the jaw muscles) - and "The Pencil Trick Routine" (to increase over-all embouchure compression) - all too lightly.

Are you suggesting that the "Trio..." can be used to help a student find the best mouthpiece placement? If so, I'm not sure I follow the logic. I don't take these exercises lightly (I know from my personal experience how beneficial they are), but I have this nasty habit of not only wanting to know that something works, but also how and why it does.

My understanding is that the "Trio" are primarly exercises designed to build muscles. How will these help an individual find a good mouthpiece placement? Or is this mainly in response to my first question concerning the jaw position while ascending?

Quote:
What you ask would take me a considerable amount of time to answer here in the forum.
Each student is a seperate case and what works for one might not work for the other even if they are the same type.
It is almost impossible to analyze and correct a students problem without seeing him/her in person.
Even then it may take more than one lesson to arrive at the correct answer.

I understand it's very complicated. There aren't some basic things to look for that you can summarize?

Quote:
I would like to add, that to "blanket- solve" individual problems without an "in-person" observation is not advised, for "one man's meat is another man's poison", as Doc was so apt to say.

I guess what I really need is to not only talk more with you guys on the phone, but to attend a Pivot System Teacher's Clinic. Any plans in the works to hold one in the near future? Beginning in August I'll be in NC, which is much closer to most of you guys (especially Rich!).

What about the next "Reinhart Reunion?" Is there a tentative or definite date for this yet? What about a place to hold it? Rich, I wonder if we could ask UNCA to host it?

Dave W.

[ This Message was edited by: Wilktone on 2003-04-22 19:09 ]
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wilktone posted on 2003-04-22 19:07
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about the next "Reinhart Reunion?" Is there a tentative or definite date for this yet? What about a place to hold it? Rich, I wonder if we could ask UNCA to host it?

Hey, man, you're gonna be in charge, you can make damn sure that they host it!

I'm very sorry that I missed the last Reinhardt Reunion, and hope to never let that happen again.

Rich
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently i received an email that included Berkely's Law #5: Most problems have either many answers or no answers. Only a few problems have a single answer.
Yes, Dave W., the QUARTET of daily calesthenics will take care, in most cases, where the jaw should be while playing. As to finding a placement, i would give much credit to these calisthenics in this catagory also.
It seems that most of your students ( maybe all of them) have an embouchure in the formative stages. If area one is not firm, it doesn't matter where you place the mouthpiece...the results will be the same...which makes me want to ask you, what is wrong with their present placements? "Fuzzy tone", "no range" , bad sound, can't slur, can't tongue,???just what is it? What SPECIFICALLY?Changing a mouthpiece placement on a "formative-stage" embouchure is something that I never knew Doc to do. Although I am sure that he may have done this, when you went in to see him, he would do his best to further develop and improve what you came in with, embouchure-wise, until a change was called for when a "stymie" was reached, if it ever was.
You say that Doug E. "moved your horn angle AROUND"! What does "around" mean? It is either higher or lower, not around!
And he "placed you very high" and then "very low" ... what problems, specifically, were you having to cause him to do this? How far were you developed, as far as area one, at the time? I am not saying that he was wrong to do this. Just as you want to know answers, please tell us the "why" of this one.

And your "trying to direct the airstream down" when you became your IVA present embouchure ... be aware that no one can "try to direct the airstream up OR down...it either goes UP or DOWN ... nothing you need to do about this.

"Knock it in"? "Baby it in"? These are two approaches for the professional or seasoned player that are necessary to be able to do depending on THE DAILY RESPONSE factor. NOT for the novice!
i Think that before introducing the Pivot Stabilizer, The Spider Web with ARROWS from a maj.4th on up and down will suffice to teach them the Pivot. Get that "middle Bb Concert" with the 4 legs established and you can do wonders without moving any placements.

A real good idea that Bill G. suggested, call him, or me, or Rich, or Chris, or someone versed in Placements, Jaw positions, Horn angles, etc...and say "what specifically" with each and every student..."few problems have a single answer".
Your questions are terrific. Doc always said that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. Don't stop asking, Dave. All of us that saw Doc will tell you our information from the "sea of information" that Doc left, through his books, tapes and private lessons. Thanks.
Dave S.

[ This Message was edited by: airdyn on 2003-04-23 07:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: airdyn on 2003-04-23 07:31 ]
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more questions I've thought of.

I've seen players who use two different mouthpiece placements/embouchure types for different parts of their range. Say, for example, a student places the mouthpiece like a Type IVA for the upper register but plays everything else on a Type IIIB. Which embouchure would you have that student work Pivot System studies on? Let's complicate the answer by stating that this student also has difficulty bringing the high range setting down into the middle and low register.

What about trombone students who play their pedal tones on a different embouchure than the rest of their range, or just can't even play pedal tones yet? What do you give these students for the warm-down prior to resting?

Dave W.
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave W.;
Have to see the person before I say anything.
There are too many factors to consider.
Doc said, "one embouchure, the entire range of the horn."
But, there are exceptions to the rule.
Some very well known exceptions.
It depends on the individual.
A warm down???????????????????????????????????????????
What is that??????
I just stop playing and put the horn in the case.
I don't ever remember Doc saying anything about a warm down.
WEG
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Doc did have a warm down.

He told me to play middle C,D,E,F,G with my cheeks out, and then run my low chromatics.

He said; "get in the habit of doing this every time you're ready to put the horn away."

Sounds like a warm down to me.

I've been doing this for almost 25 years, and it works great.

Chris
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "warm down" I mean the pedal notes for trombone and low chromatics for trumpet that you are instructed to do in between exercises or before you put the instrument away. I think this comes from the tapes/CDs I got through Dave S. Dr. Reinhardt also instructed this at certain points in the "Encyclopedia." For example, in between stages of the flip routine.
airdyn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...Doc called it "winding down" ... warm-down to me has the smatterings of Maggio ... those pedal players ( I'm talking trumpet here) think they NEED to warm down ... maybe they do...it's something i , with Doc's advice, avoided my entire playing career (over 50 years now).

For any brass instruments, before resting i.e. during practice periods, ALWAYS play some low chromatics ( or pedal notes for trombone) to 1. relax the lips and 2. if playing many high notes, this will make sure that the middle and low registers keep their sound...nothing is more unwanted is a high note player with a thin, lousy middle and low register ... the cheek puff mentioned by Chris is GREAT , not only for "winding down', but for "reminding you of your 4 legs" before the low chromatics and resting.

As to the IIIB going into the IV when playing high, now your getting personal! This was the first 10 years of my problem when I started with Doc in 1952. I stayed as a IIIB. Why? 90% of my playing career was in the low C to high C range. As they say, "Above high C is the high register, below the high C is the cash register". At least it was in the old days. I didn't make my career as a high note player or just a lead player. The IIIB is the "bread and butter' of the trumpet player...ask any great lead player worth his salt and he will say how important that IIIB 2nd trumpet player is...or better still, ask Rich Willey with his experience with Maynard's Band.

How did Doc "get me over the hump" from "pulling down" too far and getting lower and lower the higher I played? There is not enough space here to tell you.

Thanks for listening.

Dave S.
bgibson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave S, Dave W, Chris;
I meant a long drawn out warm down, not the winding down routine.
I know several brass players that do a very long and needless warm down that seems to go on aimlessly for -------------.
One time I told one alleged lead trumpet player during his warm down that he could meet me at the bar where I would be doing my warm down with some cold aluminum.
I do the cheek routines every playing day and have been for 21 years.
They are great. Thank you Doc.
WEG
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For any brass instruments, before resting i.e. during practice periods, ALWAYS play some low chromatics ( or pedal notes for trombone) to 1. relax the lips and 2. if playing many high notes, this will make sure that the middle and low registers keep their sound...nothing is more unwanted is a high note player with a thin, lousy middle and low register ... the cheek puff mentioned by Chris is GREAT , not only for "winding down', but for "reminding you of your 4 legs" before the low chromatics and resting.

So for a trombonist/euphonium player who cannot yet play pedals the cheek puff exercise can serve to replace the pedals? How about just playing a few big fat low Fs or Es instead?

With regards to the Puffy Cheek Routine, I have a really hard time playing it and being able to get a sound at all without strain above middle F (middle G on trumpet). One of my students has similar trouble. Are we doing something wrong, or is this exercise not useful for everyone?

Quote:
As to the IIIB going into the IV when playing high, now your getting personal! This was the first 10 years of my problem when I started with Doc in 1952. I stayed as a IIIB. Why? 90% of my playing career was in the low C to high C range. As they say, "Above high C is the high register, below the high C is the cash register". At least it was in the old days. I didn't make my career as a high note player or just a lead player.

I found this interesting, because I figured the opposite response for overall long-term development. If good embouchure compression ("pinching power") shows an efficient embouchure at work I would have figured that it would be best in the long term to take the embouchure type that works best in the upper register and bring it down. I'm basing this in part from page 159 of my copy of the Encyclopedia...:

"Squeaking high tones produced on the 'new embouchure' prove that the required faster, tenser lip vibrations are now possible. Assuming that a 'squeak of today is a note of tomorrow', it certainly proves that the performer's embouchure is being formed and progressing in a satisfactory manner."

This was my case, when I learned I could play higher than a C# on trombone with a IVA embouchure. I was never able to break that range barrior playing on what I think was a IIIB. I'm guessing that this is what Dave S. was referring to when he wrote earlier:

Quote:
Although I am sure that he may have done this, when you went in to see him, he would do his best to further develop and improve what you came in with, embouchure-wise, until a change was called for when a "stymie" was reached, if it ever was.

As long as I'm on this, Dave S...

Quote:
You say that Doug E. "moved your horn angle AROUND"! What does "around" mean? It is either higher or lower, not around!
And he "placed you very high" and then "very low" ... what problems, specifically, were you having to cause him to do this? How far were you developed, as far as area one, at the time? I am not saying that he was wrong to do this. Just as you want to know answers, please tell us the "why" of this one.

If I remember correctly, he also moved my horn angle a bit from side to side as well. I could be wrong, since it was a few years ago now.

The specific problem that Doug was addressing with me was my previously mentioned range barrior. I had a high C# (trombone) since I was in high school and this was about 10 years later in graduate school as a trombone performance major. None of my private teachers had been able to help me. It wasn't due to lack of practice or having good range extension exercises to work on. Doug observed me while playing in a transparent mouthpiece and noted that I was playing downstream, but that as I ascended the airstream wouldn't focus more downward as it should. I think this is what prompted him to ask me to try the other mouthpiece placements.

Gotta go practice!

Dave W.
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was re-reading this topic and came across something Dave S. wrote that I glossed over:

Quote:
If area one is not firm, it doesn't matter where you place the mouthpiece...the results will be the same...which makes me want to ask you, what is wrong with their present placements? "Fuzzy tone", "no range" , bad sound, can't slur, can't tongue,???just what is it? What SPECIFICALLY?Changing a mouthpiece placement on a "formative-stage" embouchure is something that I never knew Doc to do. Although I am sure that he may have done this, when you went in to see him, he would do his best to further develop and improve what you came in with, embouchure-wise, until a change was called for when a "stymie" was reached, if it ever was.

This reminds me of changing a mouthpiece. Lots of students (and some pro players I've known) are always on the lookout for that "perfect mouthpiece." Before recommending a mouthpiece it's helpful to know and understand what that new mouthpiece is going to do for the player. If the embouchure is still in the formative stages it's usually best to keep playing on the same mouthpiece until their embouchure is functioning well enough to benefit from a different mouthpiece.

Now that I consider this topic a little more, I realize that when a student is playing on an embouchure with a flabby area 1, you "don't know what to blame it on." In other words, it's best to get area 1 firmed up and have them play correctly with their type "for now" before you make any suggestions regarding mouthpiece placement. Once they are playing correctly for their current embouchure type and they've got area 1 firmed up, you will have a much better idea if a change of placement is really necessary.

What do you think? Am I still missing the point or am I getting warmer?

Gotta run.

Dave W.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave W.

Its funny because I just read your re-post of Dave Sheetz's post and something struck me.....

Doc told me; "I don't want to build a new dyke, I just want to plug the holes in your old one."

Another thing he used to say was that he had only changed one embouchure since 1960, and that was a guy named Lyle Van Wie.

So Dave Sheetz really did hit the nail on the head with what he said about area one.

Now if we can only find out what the goverment does at area 51..........???????

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: