• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Changing Bells

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Collins

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Changing Bells Reply with quote

Hey, I'm new here, but I'm finding a lot of things here on this site pretty helpful.
Well I've been thinking about getting a Gold Plated Bell for my Bb Strad. My reason being, is that I'm playing on a 43 horn, which I love, but isn't really suitable for solo/classical playing. Well, that can be debated, but I'm speaking in terms of my playing and how I sound. Anywho, I'm trying to think of some pros and cons about getting a changeable bell. I dont want to make the change permanent, but I want to be able to darken my sound not just by adding weight to the horn, but by having a different bell.

Any feedback or experience would be helpful!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you try playing with your mouthpiece depth/backbore/throat before you spend money on a new bell if you really think you need a change.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first comment is ask what your private teacher says.

My second comment would be if you're not studying privately, THAT should be your prime focus right now, not changing your horn. A good private teacher can fix & adjust a lot of things.

3rd, you can get a tuning-bell conversion done to your horn & can then try different bells. The only thing with this solution is the expense of getting your horn converted to tuning-bell configuration, and then finding bells that have also been configured to tuning bell setups.

I haven't looked into the cost of a tuning bell change lately. I would guess anywhere between $200 & $350, depending on who does it. This is one of those alterations where you want an experienced horn tech to do the work, so plan on spending some $ to have it done right.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, you have to buy the bells too. I don't know what they cost - probably more than $500. You could get a good used 72* and a 1-1/2C for the same, maybe less. Not to mention your tuning bell horn will lose some of it's "Bach-ness" without the braces. Yeah, just practice.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
ltkije1966
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those schilke adjustable bell horns play a lot different than their fixed bells horns. I'd expect your trumpet to play differently when you change it to an adjustable or interchangeable bell horn. I don't think this is the most cost effective way to get what you desire. I'm not convinced that you will get the desired results, either.

Options:
• Different mouthpieces can give you a much different sounds. The possibilities are endless.

• Buy a used horn $800 to $1200.

• Try out some new tuning slides - ±$160, but you can try 3 or 4 at a time for the cost of the return shipping. MK Drawing, Charlie Melk and others have liberal trial policies. Give them a call and see what their products can do for you. Most have informative websites, too. I tried a bunch and bought one. They have round, square and semi-round / brass, bronze & nickle silver / braced & unbraced.

http://www.mkdrawing.com/bach.htm
http://www.charliesbrassworks.com/products.php

• Heavy bottom caps (I never tried them)
www.tweeqerzone.biz (I never tried them)

Last edited by ltkije1966 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
4wdtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
I'd suggest you try playing with your mouthpiece depth/backbore/throat before you spend money on a new bell if you really think you need a change.

yeah - what mouthpiece do you use now? Most orchestral guys use wider rims and deeper cups (it's a generalisation, there are orchestral guys who use 5C's etc). I have two mouthpieces I use, one for lead and one for everything else. My lead piece is bright as the sun and pierces through the back of the trombonists head (I try to aim over, but it's more fun not to). My regular piece is a Monette B1-5 Prana. It's a deep piece, large and freeblowing. It gives a fat round sound without having to change horns or bells or anything.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you switch to a different spec bell, gold plating in itself will not make a noticable change in your sound. A more "classical" or "symphonic" style mouthpiece coupled with the right sound concept in your head will make your 43 a perfectly good classical horn. I played a stock 43 in a symphony orchestra for 5 years with no problem, and still play it today. It will work for big band, solo, orchestra, or whatever - a very versitile horn.
Jeff Collins

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've definatly considered most of those options, except for the tunable bells. I do have a teacher, and he actually has some different bells that he has for his Bach. I'm using a 3C for the classical/solo stuff I'm studying at school. I am thinking of getting a 72, IF I should get a bell that is. Not to say my 43 is not a good horn or bell, but having the ability to change the sound accordingly. I like using the 43 for anything that requires a "bright" sound, or that needs to carry through a band, but the timbre of the sound isn't always appropriate for the situation, which is why I'm considering another bell.
I'm ok with having another mouthpiece, but I dont go more than 2 different rims, and the screw rim idea isn't a route I'm thinking about going for.
Everything would still be all Bach parts, and I'm going to experiment on my teachers horn in the next week.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff Collins wrote:
I'm going to experiment on my teachers horn in the next week.

Good to hear, and glad that you're also consulting your teacher with this journey.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI- I have a Schilke B3L that I use for most of my Bb work and a separate beryllium bell from an X3L as well. The X3 bell was REALLY cheap and already set up by Schilke for the tuning bell, plus slipped right on my horn without any modification, which is rare... Having said all this, guess how many times I've switched bells over the past couple of years? (If you have no fingers to guess on, it's pretty close to the answer.) Equipment is cool but usually isn't the real answer and can often become an excuse. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: