• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Harrelson Bravura Modification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Harrelson Bravura Modification Reply with quote

I'm considering having the Bravura Modification done to my LA. I've read some on the Mod but really don't know too much about it. Has anyone had this done? What effects on the horn did you notice? I would just email Jason but I'm sure he's taking some well deserved time off for the holidays.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm really confused. Where did you read about this mod, and what is it? Last I knew Jason wasn't modifying anything, but building. (building Bravuras, among other things)
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a search in Google for "Harrelson Bravura Modification" and it brought up a page from his website. Upon seeing your post I went back and looked again, the page was from 2007. Sorry, I'm not exactly up to date on Harrelson. Thanks for the update.
As far as what the modification is there is a 6310Z in the market place that was modified with Bravura style mods. I actually just looked at the add and he revised it to say Jason doesn't offer this service anymore.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=6965
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the LA good as-it-is?
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LA is a great horn. I am getting a Harrelson Trim Kit for it but other than that I've never changed it. I'm really bad when it comes to wanting to try stuff out. My horn plays great as it is but if there is an option to add/adjust/modify something I always end up at least considering it.
ChasB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously stated, Jason does not do modifications anymore, however, he may sell you a leadpipe and/or bell that you can have a local brass tech install. I think if it works for you right now, you should just stick with what is working.
Harrelson Bravura (#9 LP #1 Bell)
Besson International Series (Kanstul)
Besson Meha C (Kanstul)
Conn 18B Director
Olds Special
Olds Ambassador Cornet (Previously owned by one of Meredith Wilson's students)
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Chas, how's your Bravura? Anything you prefer a different horn on? What bell / leadpipe combo do you have?
ChasB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it. I have the #9 leadpipe and #1 bell, fortunately for me, I live within driving distance of Jason, so I could go to his shop to try out a few different combinations (and didn't have to wait for a demo horn) before I made a decision. The leadpipe feels a little bit tighter than the one on my Besson International, but requires so much less effort on my part to play. I have used the flugel on a couple tunes this past semester, but other than that, I've been on the Bravura since I got it back in November. I've played it side by side with 4 different (good) Bach 37s, the Besson, and the Olds Special, and none of them made me re-think my choice to go with Jason. For the price I would've paid for a (good) strad, I got something that works better for me.

One thing you must realize, though, is that Jason is generally a very busy person and if you don't get through to him the first time, keep on trying, and don't take it as a personal insult if you don't get through for a while (I think it took me 4 or 5 calls). I think he said he works an average of 70 hours a week, so patience and persistence pays off.

Lastly, sorry to the OP for derailing your topic.

Chas
Harrelson Bravura (#9 LP #1 Bell)
Besson International Series (Kanstul)
Besson Meha C (Kanstul)
Conn 18B Director
Olds Special
Olds Ambassador Cornet (Previously owned by one of Meredith Wilson's students)
jazzhorn04
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Chas! I enjoyed reading about your horn
etorres16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jazzhorn04,

If your interested in trying something different for your LA, I highly recommend trying out some new tuning slides from MK Drawing.

I just had a trial of a couple of slides, and wow, they are something else. They can help with resistance, and even give a different sound to the horn. I tried a Yellow Brass Square slide, and a Sterling Silver Vindabona style slide. I love the resistance the Square slide gave me, compared to the stock Yamaha slide. I had much more control over the the entire range of the horn, and the upper register was on lock.

As far as the Sterling Silver, the sound was amazing. Much more overtones, and it was so easy to light up. It even sounded better than the Yamaha stock, but I didn't like the resistance it gave me.

I'm currently waiting to try out a Sterling Silver Square Unbraced tuning slide, which should have the resistance I like, and the sound!
Anyways, just sharing my experience, but the MK Drawing slides are definitely worth a look!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: