• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sonic Boom, 600 series, Slap cup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Trahan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Sonic Boom, 600 series, Slap cup? Reply with quote

If you look though the discription of curry's 600 series, Gr's sonic boom cups, and monette's slap cups, they are all very similar. Is this a new trend? I'm sure that each one has its own unique charachteristics, but the sinilarities are impossible to ignore. Lower alpha angle and compensate by raising beta angle. I currently use Mark Currys 70m and 70s and love what feels like the "front to back" compresion. But I wish it had some of the "side to side compression" that the shew/ monette /vizzuti style lead pieces have. When I look at the kanstul comparator, (the old one, if you search stork and kanstul comparator on google, that one) Most if not all high efficeincy high compression lead mouthpieces seem to have not only tight second cups but also moderate to extreme alpha angles. If I remember correctly Curry's Z cups are high alpha angle low beta angle. Is the most efficient mouthpiece a combination of the highest alpha angle you can use with bottoming out the sides, and the tightest second cup with out bottoming in the middle? If you look at the monette shop youtube video there is a clip of the "blueprints for adam rapa's lead mouthpiece over his classical jazz mouthpiece. It has not only a higher alpha but also beta angle. THE QUESTION> Does any of that make since, have anyone used the RAPA monette pieces, and has anyone used a 600 series rim with a standard lead cup? The 70 rim is pure awesome. whew done!
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warburton has been doing this for a long time. Play it wrong and it will shut off on you.

The 600 series rims are very nice.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Mike Trahan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well warburton does keep their (lowish) alpha angle about the same throuout their range per rim diameter, but none of those mouthpieces really slap. If anyone gets me lol. It seems like the warburton is great if you just need extra compression and you bottom out on high alpha angle pieces. I think the wild thing trumpet mouthpieces may be closer to what im looking for. They are based off the curry m cup, but have a higher alpha angle and slightly more open intrance into the throat. If only they had a lead version of the wild things. I think the RappaL1 mouthpiece is a moderately high alpha slap cup( which will provide the volume and articulation of a flat bottom cup, but the side to side and brightness of a v shaped leadpiece) whilst his all arounder has a lower alpha (darker ) and lower beta ( not as loud rounder not as harsh and aggresive attack) and his flumpet is similar to Curry tf. All with a b4 ish rim.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can handle the smaller diameter, the Marcinkiewicz Shew 1 cup is fantastic. I use the Ingram but made .10" shallower and it's more of a flat bottom cup and gives the sound a real kick. I guess similar to the slap cup in a way when the cup depth was brought up. The original Ingram is more V-eed and the Shew is flatter.
Mike Trahan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thats closet to what i'm talkin about! The kicker is that i'm a pretty big lipped player, that can play pretty shallow mouthpieces, but my sweet spot diameter is a little bigger than the b4 rim, curry's 70 rim really. I have a usable double c on his 70m and s, just want a little more side to side compression. Unless im thinking abou this the wrong way?
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a narrower diameter? I'm not that familiar with the Curry's. The Shew is like a Giard 10S. You can also get a Shew 1 in the Concert Hall line, which the outer shape is a different acoustic design, not heavier but makes the sound do something different from what I can tell. Works well on picc. I prefer the light blanks. I also play a custom piece that is smaller and shallower than the Shew 1 and has a different backbore that just screams. I have a Calicchio copy as a backup. As well I'm going to cut my other spare custom with a different backbore and have it cut along with another piece with the backbore I need to make a 2 piece custom piece for optimum performance with my horn.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds crazy, right?
Mike Trahan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wider diameter. 1.5c ish. But the highpoint is in the middle of the rim its pretty round and it has a pretty soft bite. Who did the original work, Marcinkiewicz? Sounds like your RREEALLY efficient. Shallower than a shew 1? sheesh lol
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GR S-B and M-B Series was designed for players who need compression but who engage more lip in the cup than most smaller volume mouthpieces can take. It is just another tool, not a trend. Bottom line is if your mouthpiece can not pass the playing tests, it is not for you.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Mike Trahan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I really didnt mean it like "trend" but more of a tool that a lot of manufacturers are starting to make. Just an observance of similarities. In fact gr's sz cup maybe just the idea I'm after. A medium high alpha with a z beta. What are the playing tests you speak of? I aslo see that stork can pump their mouthpieces, by increasing volume at certain spots. So technically a stork pumped 2d may be shallower than stork a 2c but have nearly the same if not more volume. Voila slapness! Maybe I should just leave this thread alone. lol
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple Mt. Vernon Bach pieces that would qualify as "slap". I like them a lot.

Peace
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
Mark Curry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I can make a 70M or S with a little more side-to-side compression for you.

I've made a few like what you're speaking of with the 70 rim. I've made the 70DE, 70Z (low alpha, or soft undercut), to name a couple.

The devil is in the details here:

How far do I need to go? Too soft and you bottom out.

I wouldn't go any higher than the alpha angle on the stock 70M or S for certain. But maybe "halfway" would work.

PM me.

MC
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Trahan wrote:
Sorry I really didnt mean it like "trend" but more of a tool that a lot of manufacturers are starting to make. Just an observance of similarities. In fact gr's sz cup maybe just the idea I'm after. A medium high alpha with a z beta. What are the playing tests you speak of? I aslo see that stork can pump their mouthpieces, by increasing volume at certain spots. So technically a stork pumped 2d may be shallower than stork a 2c but have nearly the same if not more volume. Voila slapness! Maybe I should just leave this thread alone. lol

Mike,
The problem I see here is the use of the word, "maybe". Without seeing you in person and running you through the GR Playing Tests, there will always be the "maybe" unless of course you try the mouthpieces in question. Unfortunately that can be expensive.

Believe me, in the past I gave Jet-Tone, Warburton, Curry, Stork, Bach, Schilke, and many others, lots of my hard earned cash searching for that "maybe". It is paying off now because when customers contact me, there is a good chance I played the mouthpiece that they are having problems with. I just wish there were such a thing as GR Consultants back then. It would have saved me a lot.

Without seeing you in person I need more info to help you out. If you are so inclined, send me an e-mail and request a GR Mouthpiece Questionnaire. I will look over your answers and make some suggestions based on the info you provide. Thanks!

Brian Scriver
info@grmouthpieces.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: