• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Question about Marcinkiewicz Valve Engines????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Question about Marcinkiewicz Valve Engines???? Reply with quote

I almost sent them an email to ask them directly but figured someone on here might well already know the answere. I noticed that their valve engines look almost exactly like Old valve engines both their one piece and two piece designs. So I went to their web site and it shows them working on a lot of pistons and some valve engines. So I was woundering if they are merly makeing a mechanical copy of the old Olds designs since they are almost universaly agreed upon by many to have had the best valves ever??? THe other thought that was that they could also simply be completly overhauling a large assortment of used Olds Valve engines so in essecence they would be better then new since their attention to detail would surpass what can be done in a mass production facility? Either way Marcinkiewicz is known for haveing great valves reguardless if they makeing them from scratch or rebuilding old Olds valve engines. I was just wounder.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure they are manufacturing their own valve blocks.
CHAMP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last time i checked there was no internal combustion in trumpets...
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure? Last time I saw Wayne Bergeron play, I swear I saw flames coming out of the bell.
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

There aren't a lot of people making their own valves these days. As far as I know they are importing their valves from another company (as monette did with getzen valves until a few years ago). If someone knows for sure where there valves are done, inhouse or otherwise, I would like to know.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcinkiewicz makes their valves in-house. I got a tour of the factory in Canby, and was walked through the steps of valve assembly construction.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KansasTrumpet wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

There aren't a lot of people making their own valves these days. As far as I know they are importing their valves from another company (as monette did with getzen valves until a few years ago). If someone knows for sure where there valves are done, inhouse or otherwise, I would like to know.

Monette used Deg parts and Keefer bells when he started out. He has been making his own valves for a while now. Not sure how long exactly but probably for at least the last 5 years or so. Anything done in Portland was done better than in Chicago. They have always improved their gear year after year coming up with something new.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all cool information to know! Thanks guys!

Actualy I picked upt he term from my short stay on TrumpetMaster. A lot of the older guys refered to them as valve engines and if one looks at classical engineering and termanology it does jive with early designs. Bear in mind that the valve designs fro trumpets came from other disiaplines of engineering.....Nothing happens in a vaccum. Well I think some trumpet players formt heir opinions in a vaccum but that is another story for another thread! LOL!!!! Hard to find a more opinionated, over confident, self richious and elitist group in the world then what one finds in the trumpet community! Luckily most though are really great men and women! I blame the overly competitive job market in in the muscial world where their are 1000 times more musicians then their are jobs for some of this!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same term ("Maschine") is used in German to describe the valve block: see an example from B&S website.
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, you can get an idea of who made a valve section by examining the valves themselves. Getzen's valves (that I've seen) have very large openings for the spring and large guides. Kanstul's have the numbers facing the bell, while most of the other makes I know of face the mouthpiece.

Marcinkiewicz makes pretty much everything in-house, I believe. They even have a setup for silver plating; Calicchio has used Marcinkiewicz to plate their trumpets.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
This is all cool information to know! Thanks guys!

Actualy I picked upt he term from my short stay on TrumpetMaster. A lot of the older guys refered to them as valve engines and if one looks at classical engineering and termanology it does jive with early designs. Bear in mind that the valve designs fro trumpets came from other disiaplines of engineering.....Nothing happens in a vaccum. Well I think some trumpet players formt heir opinions in a vaccum but that is another story for another thread! LOL!!!! Hard to find a more opinionated, over confident, self richious and elitist group in the world then what one finds in the trumpet community! Luckily most though are really great men and women! I blame the overly competitive job market in in the muscial world where their are 1000 times more musicians then their are jobs for some of this!

"A lot of the older guys." ?? I've been around trumpets for going on 50 years and read a lot of the older stuff -- like Benge, Schilke and Bach literature. I have NEVER heard the term "valve engine" before. "Valve block" is very common. Not that it matters much, but I doubt that term will catch on. The valve block has much more in common with an engine block -- and it is clearly not an engine -- because it has no moving parts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: