• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Do you have a duplicate backup mouthpiece?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you have a duplicate backup mouthpiece?
Yes
42%
 42%  [ 27 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 37 ]
Total Votes : 64

loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Do you have a duplicate backup mouthpiece? Reply with quote

What I mean is, do you have a duplicate of your main mouthpiece as a back up in case something happens to the one you play?
Mortakye
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but only because I play an old Purviance mouthpiece and it would take to long to get a replacement if something happened to it. Easy to order, not so easy to run into a local music store and find.

Calicchio 3LZ/3rL
CG Selmer
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate of a backup makes it a triplicate.
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortakye wrote:
Yes, but only because I play an old Purviance mouthpiece and it would take to long to get a replacement if something happened to it. Easy to order, not so easy to run into a local music store and find.

If its that difficult to replace, take the original or a copy and put it in a safe deposit box. You can always get ahold of that, or in a home safe. The best thing for really valuable, vintage mpcs.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. I have 4 Schilke 19s, one w/C that's been opened up a bit, one w/Bb, one in the car and one with my cornet. I never made much fuss to see that they were some sort of duplicate except that they're gold plated. Seem to work for me.
hansonsf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Schilke 13A4a's (two gold plated) and 1 13A4. I keep an extra in my gig bag.
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three Bach 3C pieces. One in each of two cases and one in the car (or pocket, or office) that I use primarily for buzzing. I know there are those trumpet players out there who could play them and say, "You've got three very different mouthpieces." But, I can't tell a bit of difference in the three. One dates from the mid 1990s and the other two are fairly new. I had a 3C in the mid 1970s but have no idea where it is so I cannot compare it to the ones I use now.

Snapper
Troy Bilt
Poulan
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my mouthpieces cost $150.00 a piece, I cannot afford a back-up.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, while I have backup setups that are very similar, they are usually not the same mouthpieces. I have a Stork SM that is almost identical to a Warburton setup, except for the rims, throats, and backbores.

They are pretty much interchangable for the response and tonal characteristics.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I did!

I went off to a rehearsal by train tonight - finished teaching early and thought it would be nice to go by train rather than cope with the hassle of parking. I got to the rehearsal and found no mouthpiece pouch (which contains ALL the mouthpieces I use regularly). The rehearsal was in a church so the language used was a great deal less floried than what I was thinking!
I have a very nasty feeling it slipped out of my bag on the train because it is not anywhere at home and not in the bag I was carrying.
Oh bother!!!!

I have found a spare Bb mouthpiece, but not piccolo, Eb, flugel or cornet - nor the prototype cornet-sound trumpet mouthpiece that I have been working on with Denis Wick.

I am now hoping that I can get hold of the train company tomorrow and am praying that they have been found and handed in.
If not, it could be the most expensive train journey I have ever undertaken!

Rehearsal was done on a "found" 7C - I have remembered how much I hate the 7C size
lburrows
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent my regular Bach 3C trumpet mouthpiece to Kanstul to scan, so I know that I can get an exact duplicate if need be.

I do however have three trumpet Bach 3Cs in total, my regular one (which I keep in my Bach flugel/trumpet case), another in the case of my spare trumpet, and a third in my single trumpet case, which I transfer my regular trumpet into, when I don't need to carry a flugel. I could probably do with another one, so that I can do what I do with my three cornets, which is to have a Bach 3C cornet mouthpiece in the case of each cornet, in addition to my regular cornet mouthpiece (a Kanstul custom mouthpiece, which is the cup end of my Bach 3C cornet mouthpiece, combined with Kanstul's B10 cornet backbore in a copy of the blank of one of my Bach 3C cornet mouthpieces. I can therefore get an exact duplicate of this mouthpiece as well, if anything happens to the original), which I move between cases.

I only ever use on of my Bach 3C trumpet mouthpieces, swapping my regular one with the one in the other case, when I use my spare trumpet or single trumpet case, so that each case always has a mouthpiece, but having four cornet mouthpieces for three cornet cases, means that I can keep one in each as a spare, and swap my regular one between cases.

All the best

Lou
Bach 184ML Cornet - Kanstul custom Bach 3C
Besson 927 Sovereign Cornet - Bach 5A
B&H Imperial Cornet - Bach 5A
Bach 183 Flugel - Bach 3CFL
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...but then again, I don't play Monettes!
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 3 Schilke 14s' and 3 Schilke 13Bs'.

Two each for trumpet and one each for cornet, although these days I use either a Wick 4BW or Curry 5DC for cornet.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetmike wrote:
I wish I did!

I went off to a rehearsal by train tonight - finished teaching early and thought it would be nice to go by train rather than cope with the hassle of parking. I got to the rehearsal and found no mouthpiece pouch (which contains ALL the mouthpieces I use regularly). The rehearsal was in a church so the language used was a great deal less floried than what I was thinking!
I have a very nasty feeling it slipped out of my bag on the train because it is not anywhere at home and not in the bag I was carrying.
Oh bother!!!!

I have found a spare Bb mouthpiece, but not piccolo, Eb, flugel or cornet - nor the prototype cornet-sound trumpet mouthpiece that I have been working on with Denis Wick.

I am now hoping that I can get hold of the train company tomorrow and am praying that they have been found and handed in.
If not, it could be the most expensive train journey I have ever undertaken!

Rehearsal was done on a "found" 7C - I have remembered how much I hate the 7C size

That is painful to read, hope they turn up soon.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: hee hee hee hee Reply with quote

"I sent my regular Bach 3C trumpet mouthpiece to Kanstul to scan, so I know that I can get an exact duplicate if need be".

Zman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok reading this thread is making me paranoid now.....

Perhaps I should get a backup......but then again that's why I am always asking for Al Cass pieces in the marketplace.
These pieces obviously are a small fortune (but totally worth the price tag IMO) plus it's hard to get duplicates.

What does a scan of a piece run these days?
HC Committee #2
HC Imperial #3 LB & #4 XL Bore
Deluxe Committee Bb, C & Eb
Taylor Chicago II Lite
Yamaha 8335LA

www.thebrasscellar.com
www.facebook.com/thebrasscellar
www.youtube.com/channel/UCZk1sIuyVsQzrbsl7HfIfKw/
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: ughh Reply with quote

might cost u your life................
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many mouthpieces that are very close so I don't have exact duplicates. I used to do that and when I was playing Schilke 20 pieces I had about 5 of them.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

In my experience, it is best to bypass the adrenalin temptation and expense, and simply find another mouthpiece by the same manufacturer that you can pick up and play, back and forth, best.
It's not that difficult to find, and it's actually kind of fun, especially when you do it when working, playing one pass on one, and then the same pass on another, successfully.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Yes although that's not technically correct, but the collection of similar Warburton parts allows me to substitute with no effects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: