• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul copper bell flugel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur A. Molitierno

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Kanstul copper bell flugel Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience palying a copper bell Kanstul flugel horn?

I am interested in a used horn and would appreciate any comments sent to me

amolitierno@att.net.

Thanks,

Art
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't get any better than the Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn. Equaled? Maybe. Surpassed? No way.
TBDBITLER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur, I've played a Kanstul 1525 copper-belled flugel in a brass band for the past 10 years. They're nice horns and sound and play great but the bell is somewhat fragile and it's hard to find a hard case for them since the bell is larger than standard.

Kanstul 1525 & Yamaha 631 Flugels
Bach Strad & Olds Studio Trumpets
King Silvertone Cornet
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a 1XXX ser Kanstul copper belled flugel. It is the best flugel I've ever played. The valves are like BUTTUH. Great sound (.413 I think) bore ... just enough resistance. It is a great horn.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
gigolaw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a new one for about one month. The sound, mechanical characteristics, construction, intonation and apearance were just outsanding. I sold it because the bell is too fragile and there were two dents already.

My New York Trumpet Co, Stage 1 California Flugelhorn has a cooper bell, solid like stone. The most in tune trumpet-flugelhorn that I have seen. As to the sound, you will falll in love inmediately.
Curry 5DE trumpet mouthpiece
Giardinelli 7FL Flugel Mpc.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a 1525...it's true the bell is on the fragile side, but the sound is richly dark. A little too tubby for me, but nice horn.
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 925 w/ a copper bell. Been playing it for 17 years. Used to play a Couesnon Paris model, but once I got the Kanstul, I started getting compliments on my sound. Great horn.

Barry
TIMBERLINE
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played several of the 1525's and it seemed like each one was better than the last. I really wish I could have gotten the 1525 rather than the Getzen 4 valve. The Getzen is a great flugel, but the 1525 has the sound I love in a flugel.
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art - ya might want to check these out also.

http://www.dillonmusic.com/HeleoCart/ProductPage/AC156R.aspx

Have gotten rave reviews and who is to argue with Nakariakov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmkGiLLTl5A

Seth
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kanstul copper bell flugel Reply with quote

Arthur A. Molitierno wrote:
Does anyone have any experience palying a copper bell Kanstul flugel horn?

I am interested in a used horn and would appreciate any comments sent to me

amolitierno@att.net.

Thanks,

Art

Hi,

First off, I REALLY like the classic 1525 . . .

1. THE HORN
It (copper bell 1525) is a dark horn, of course, but IMHO it gets a tad tubby on the bottom . . . something that the yellow brass 1525 does not.

My line of thought . . .

a. Is the yellow brass 1525 too "bright," (NOPE!) or . . .

b. Is the copper brass 1525 too dark," or . . .

c. Is one of the two types actually "spot on the money?" One of 'em is . . . the one they brought out first!

BOTTOM LINE . . .
Try the "regular" 1525 and you'll be getting the version that Kanstul perfected on that design. It's a fine fluglehorn . . . perfect sound in all registers, NOT tubby, and very responsive . . . and not fragile either.

I actually don't care for the sound of the copper version, and I play with a guy who has one. I recently played a gig with a section that included a classic Couesnon, a Callichio, a copper-belled 1525 and my Wild Thing. I'd rank 'em:

1. Wild Thing
2. Callichio or Couesnon

4. Copper belled 1525

Three of the flugles blended well too!

2. FINDING A USED 1525 AT A GOOD PRICE . . .
This may prove nearly impossible, for folks tend to stick with their flugles for years at a time . . . unless that specimen is a dog or unless it doesn't give them the sound they want.

Seriously, try a standard 1525 . . . outstanding flugle with a perfect sound and am easu blow . . . or find a decent Couesnon for less, if you can.

Good luck,

T.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBDBITLER wrote:
Arthur, I've played a Kanstul 1525 copper-belled flugel in a brass band for the past 10 years. They're nice horns and sound and play great but the bell is somewhat fragile and it's hard to find a hard case for them since the bell is larger than standard.

Gotta be careful with those copper bells and not bang em on the stand like I have to my Kanstul 1500. I have a Protek case (not a gigbag) and it provides very good protection. I had gotten it with my first flugel, a Kanstul 725. The same case also fit my next flugel, a 1025 and final one, a 1525. There's only room in the case for the horn and mps, though. I like the darker tone of the 1525 compared to the 1025, but they are both great horns. I'm not trying to see how many copper bells I can get, but my Getzen 3850 bell is also copper. Just the way it has worked out. FWIW

Last edited by shastastan on Mon May 18, 2009 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently tried to sell my lovely , gorgeous totally rebuilt Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn for a very reasonable price ( about $500 less than I had in it) here in the TH, then on eBay so that I could buy a trumpet that I really wanted and nobody even took a bite. I was unable to get the trumpet that I wanted.
I waited over a year to get that horn refinished right. It was a beautiful white/silver satin with 24 k gold trim. The inside bell was even 24 k gold. No sale. I guess I will just keep the Kanstul 1525.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was at Dillon's, there were two Kanstul copper 1525s on the used wall. Check with them.
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a Silver plated Besson Brevete by Kanstul (.413 bore) for about (20) years and have NEVER played a better Flugelhorn than it until now.

I play tested Kanstul's 1525 MANY times and because so many great things have been written about the horn and so many credible players are playing it...I "tried" to "force" myself to like it.

For ME...every time I played it...it sounded too "wide" / "dispersed" / "Trombonish" for ME...maybe due to the larger bell???

About a month ago, I play tested Kanstul's 925 (same specifications as the Besson Brevete if I am not mistaken) with a 6" Copper bell and IMMEDIATELY loved it...WITHOUT TRYING!!!

Last week, I purchased one and have been extremely THRILLED with its playability, tone quality & intonation!

Today, I played it with our churches Praise Band and wished I would have invested in one much sooner!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yellow brass--standard 1525?"

I didn't know there was a such thing. I never see them offered for sale. Do they still make them?

Can anyone provide a link to a place that sells them?

I also found the copper-bell 1525 to be a little too tubby and trombonish.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

I didn't know there was a such thing. I never see them offered for sale. Do they still make them?

You can order a horn with different bell material. Kanstul horns are made to order. You might just consider a copper-belled 1025.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fragile" is a relative term. The copper bell is .020" thickness, and our bells are hand hammered, hand spun and work-hardened. Yes, copper is a bit softer than brass, so one should take care with it. As well, the flugel is often at risk because of its odd size, or placement on the bandstand.

Ultimately, just as one wouldn't play the flugel like a trumpet, one shouldn't necessarily handle a flugel like a trumpet. Consider this when inserting mutes, or placing it on a stand or in a gig bag.

"Tubby" is a term (along with "tromboney") that we've heard now and then. Remember, the flugel horn is traditionally a small bore instrument (and therefore more efficient) so less effort is required to play. Overplaying can indeed cause a tromboney or tubby sound. The 1525 is already warm and dark, so a very large mouthpiece will magnify this, possibly resulting in a tubby or tromboney sound.

The Kanstul 1525 Signature flugel is arguably the best flugel horn in the world, and its reputation as a quality professional instrument is solid.

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

Actually, I was discussing this with Zig a couple of weeks ago. We are putting together additional information for our website, and eventually we will include an "options" page that will list just about all possible (or at least practical) options for our instruments.

I asked why we haven't made the Signature flugel with a brass bell and he replied, "Because no one has asked for it".

We did make one with a bronze bell for a top soloist in the UK, and I liked the way it played very much.

regards,

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1525 is several years old. played a bunch of gigs with it. It has no dents and i have no dreams of a 'better' flugel. easy to play. excellent intonation, love the sound. no blending issues. still loving mine!! .
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification purposes...

I too believe the 1525 is a great horn (playability, intonation etc.), it's just MY personal preference...meaning...I liked MY sound with MY current mouthpiece better on the 925 than MY sound with MY current mouthpiece on the 1525.

If you listen to Dan Oxley playing his 1525, he has a great sound...HIS sound is not "tubby" nor "Trombonish"

As for the 1025...according to Kanstul's web-site...the only difference from a 925 is the taper on the leadpipe for the mouthpiece???

Charles...Please chime in and help to educate us!!!
Note: I will miss you on Memorial Day!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: