• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha YFH-631 Flugelhorn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 631G plays beautifully.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
BThompson

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: 631 flugel Reply with quote

i think the shew z plays just as good if not better,.,.,.just sold my 631,to buy a Z.,.,

Horns: Yamaha 6310B, Schilke S42GP, MF ST307, Yamaha Z Flugelhorn
MF firebird,yamaha EM, MF ST307GP
MP: Marcinkiewicz Shew 1
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me the Z felt too tight and the sound IMO is also not as interesting as my 631.

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some not-totally-relevant thoughts and observations to an old thread about the Schiller line and about a cheap Chinese flgl.

Last year I played four Jim Laab Schiller herald trumpets and one pocket trumpet which I had for several days – each one seemed to be well built and was perfectly finished. The heralds played great and were consistent one to another. The pocket was a true winner and was praised by a few other pro players who had a chance to try it. Great value in those particular instruments.

After dropping in and out of playing a few times over distant and recent years, I needed a flglhrn a few months ago for a project that is not going to create much income so I started thinking – Cheap.

Looked at Trent’s site for his Doubler but he had none in stock for what seemed like several weeks. Looked at Schiller but also looked at importing a horn directly from China, which I did.

Don’t know if I got lucky but the horn – a direct rip-off of a Yamaha 631 (rose brass) – is built and finished very well. Ports on 2nd valve looked to be well aligned with a cursory inspection. Tone was OK, scale was odd but usable, but the sound would take an edge without too much effort – this was with a Curry 1FL which sounded great on a previous, long-gone, Blessing.

Since it looked so much like a 631, I took a chance and ordered a Yamaha leadpipe from Mouthpiece Express. It fit perfectly and made the horn a champ. The receiver on the Yamaha pipe let large Morse taper mpcs insert further than the stock pipe would allow and fit very snugly.

It doesn’t blow smoke and drip honey on its own but with a Flip Oakes Wild Thing 1¼, it’s very mellow and fluffy when asked or clear and present (without danger) if desired. Plays very well, and differently, with various mpcs. Schilke 16F4 gets it brighter without being edgy and would not get covered blowing solos in a big band or playing the head in a combo with other horns. CBK1 amps up the volume and enlarges the core without sacrificing mellowness – something that might be perfect in a British brass band.

$256 with a decent case, delivered to my door in six days. The Yamaha pipe was about $30 with shipping.

[It also responds exceedingly well to LeFreque tone enhancers but that’s a totally different subject]

Denny
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to hear all these 'praise reports' about the 631.

I have to confess that I never played one, but that I have one of Trent Austin's earlier Doubler Flugel, which is based on the 631.

So, does the praise of the 631 also hold true to the ACB Doubler?
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denny Schreffler wrote:
Since it looked so much like a 631, I took a chance and ordered a Yamaha leadpipe from Mouthpiece Express. It fit perfectly and made the horn a champ. The receiver on the Yamaha pipe let large Morse taper mpcs insert further than the stock pipe would allow and fit very snugly.

Denny

I did the same thing with the ACB Doubler - I replaced the stock valve springs with OEM Yamaha valve springs, and I replaced the leadpipe insert - both of which made the horn better than it already was. I wrote a post about this a while back - here's the quote from it:

trickg -- Posted: 12 Jan 2015 17:48 wrote:
Kind of resurrecting this thread, but I thought I'd post an update that I think is relevant to the thread.

I was spelunking around online for this and that the other day and I hit kind of an interesting find - Yamaha Leadpipes for flugelhorns

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/index2.php?cPath=510_983_1335_1338

Since I figured that the ACB Doubler is a pretty faithful copy of the Yamaha 631, and since I figured that the leadpipe can make a big difference in how a horn plays and responds, for $22 (nickel/lacquered version) I figured, why not?

With that in mind, I figured I'd pick up a set of Yamaha OEM Springs due to the fact that both the ACB Doubler and the Yamaha 631 are bottom sprung. One thing I've never quite liked about the ACB Doubler are how tight the springs are, so for about $3.75, again, why not?

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=510_983_1335_1337&products_id=24683

I got both today. The leadpipe is tight, but it fits, (for $27, I'm considering getting the outer sleeve too, and having my friend do a quick install for me) and I think it improved the blow - it's a bit darker and feels a bit more open and/or smooth. The springs are a definite improvement, although I did have to tweak them just slightly. The diameter is just a hair (and I literally mean that - about a hair's width) bigger, so to get them to seat into the valve cap, I tweaked and tightened just the bottom of the spring so it would lock onto the bottom cap. They are the perfect tension and I no longer feel like I'm slightly fighting the valve to get it depressed.

Voila! For less than $30 I modded my ACB Doubler into something even better than what it was already, and I already thought that it's a fantastic value. For anyone else who owns this horn, I highly recommend the tweaks. As I said, the leadpipe mod is tight, but it's doable - it might make quick intonation adjustments a bit of a challenge though, but if all else fails, I can probably "adjust" that ever so slightly too to make it better.

Being in a National Guard band, I have an issued Yamaha 631 with the rose brass bell. I'm going to wind up turning it back in because the ACB Doubler plays every bit as good IMO.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

Hadn’t thought about the valve springs (which are OK on my particular instrument) but I’ll get a set just to have around.

I haven’t had the time to think about a simple way – I’m a simple guy – to add weight to one or more of the bottom caps to see what that might do.

And I’ll mention, in more than passing this time, that the LefreQue tone enhancers made an immediate and dramatic improvement on the Chinese horn.

http://www.horntrader.com/28-lefreque-sound-bridge-for-wind-instruments

The 41mm that I got from Steve Dillard works great on the 631 clone but, since it spanned from the mpc to the leadpipe instead of from the mpc to the outer tube of the body, I bought a 76mm set from a flute dealer. It’s different but I haven’t spent any time trying to A-B the differences.

Here’s a copy of my text from a recent post to TPIN. It references some comments on TH that I saw while researching the things. Since then, I’ve learned that Jon Faddis uses or has used them.

“3. With a new flgl and with the two old Conns [cornets] ready for more serious playing, I ordered a LefreQue tone enhancer from Steve Dillard. These things are hugely popular with some top flute players. Steven Mead (euphonium) is a disciple, too. They’ve been discussed on TH, mostly naysayers claiming VooDoo but invoking charlatanism more than the Black Arts, but one top player who hangs out over there, Mike Sailors, uses one.

[ ... ] My wife, who has been listening to mpc and horn tweak comparisons for almost 50 years, immediately and assuredly preferred a Conn 80A with the LefreQue – “Much fuller sound.” Then I tried it on the flgl – played it with the tweak first, then without. Four notes into the “without” trial, her hand shot up to say, “Stop!” The difference was immediate and dramatic. Same thing – “fuller sound” … “richer.”

I heard and felt the same thing, AND, my one ear that suffers from loss, distortion, and constant ringing (I usually wear an earplug in it when I play but didn’t have one in) really got set off – buzzing and ringing like I’ve not heard before. I’d guess a lot more upper harmonic complexity but the audible experience seems to be well (maybe, better) balanced.

Do your own research on the LefreQue – I cannot explain how/why it works.”

Denny
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha YFH-631 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Pino wrote:
Has anyone played the Yamaha YFH-631 (rose brass) flugelhorn. If so, how do you like it? How does it play? Thanks.

Joe

I bought mine new at the Schilke Showroom on South Wabash Avenue in 1977. Been happy with it ever since, though sometimes the G above Double High C doesn't slot real well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: