• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

pocket trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roelf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: pocket trumpet Reply with quote

I want to get one. Any recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul. They're worth the price.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
silverhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: pocket trumpet Reply with quote

roelf wrote:

I have an LA Horns pocket trumpet and it plays great. Although they are no longer made, you may still be able to find a used one in good condition. It has a full sized bell and comes in a variety of awesome colors. Mine is black cherry burst! lol
roelf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so these $150 horns on ebay are not good. Right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so these $150 horns on ebay are not good. Right?

Nope, no good. The valves corrode and seize up within a few months. There is a decent pocket on eBay right now, but it is closing soon: http://cgi.ebay.com/Schafer-Pocket-Trumpet_W0QQitemZ300312961542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBrass_Instruments?hash=item45ec0c2206&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A3%7C294%3A50trpt

A horn made in Taiwan would be OK if you are looking for an economical horn. Jupiter, Shimona Gakki Sophia Series, Carol, are a few. Horntrader.com has a Carol, I believe. jbqd
Hipster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Taylor has a new line of Pocket Trumpets available now as well.
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the Kanstul pocket trumpet. I know, I know, it's not listed below in my tag line. Still, I've had mine for a couple of years and it is my favorite horn to play. I'm not kidding. Although I don't use it for community band, I easily could. I got mine from Lee Walkowich at Washington Music Center when I was in DC for a meeting two years ago. I played a Jupiter, LA Sax, and one other they had at the time. The Kanstul was worth the price difference.

Snapper
Troy Bilt
Poulan
timoshev

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acquired a used pocket trumpet, marked only as Classic 800, many years ago. And yup, the valves quickly corroded between infrequent uses--until I tried some BiNak valve oil. It's not my regular oil, but it has something in it that stops corrosion cold. Perfect to keep cheap valves alive. Oh, BTW, anyone know who made my horn?
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: pocket trumpet Reply with quote

roelf wrote:

I did some research about a year ago on pockets. What I found was many are very similar to one another, but allot of them are junk. Buyer beware…

Among the better pockets are listed below in price order from lowest to highest – Every pocket below (except the Jupiter) has a full-size bell.

1. Jupiter pockets (Taiwan) - ~$600 probably worth the price, but not a penny more;
2. Carol pockets (Taiwan) - ~$600 said to be quite good for the price;
3. Marcato (~$750), Pocket Max (~$650), LA Sax (~$550) all made in the same - probably Taiwan - factory and share the same design features (they look identical);
4. Calicchio pocket - north of $1,000 (USA - hard to come by, but a great pocket);
5. Benge pocket - ~$1,450 (USA - any vintage - but my top choice would be the rare CG Pocket - very few were made);
6. Kanstul - ~$1,700 (USA);
7. Taylor Pocket Rocket - ~$2,500 (UK - as good as a pocket gets, but they're expensive). Do a Google search – folks rave about them.

Amati makes one within the lower price range (~$700), but reviews are very mixed - I would stay away.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Dick S
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Kanstul. They're worth the price.

DITTO
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop the press. If price is an issue, DO NOT overlook the Van Cleave pocket which is available from Dillon's for under $400. I've never played one of the high dollar horns (Kanstul, Benge), but I can say that the Van Cleave is head and shoulders above the Jupiter, which many people recommend.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intonation and sound of the Jupiter pockets that I had tried were on the cheap side.
rebelatheart
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my experience exactly. Trying to play a simple scale, the Jupiter was all over the place.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends upon your use of the pocket trumpet?

If you plan on it being "only a novelty horn" and don't much care about intonation and workmanship - you may go with the cheaper horns trying to find the better of the cheaper ones.

If you want a pocket trumpet that sounds "as good" as quality larger trumpets, you would do better going with Kanstul or the other more expensive brands listed. Otherwise, the intotation and quality issues of the cheaper horns will drive you up the wall. They may sound so bad that they will drive others up the wall.

As a player, you have to know what you are looking for in a pocket trumpet and how seriously you plan to use itt? A novelty item where quality doesn't matter by all mean go with the cheaper pocket trumpet seeking the best of the cheap. A novelty item that can match the "big trumpets" will cost you as much as the big boys.

Only you can decide how you are going to use it and purchase accordingly. If cheap is all you can afford (and that is similar to some of us us here), then buy the better of the cheaper brands based upon what you are reading from other TH folks. But, don't think cheaper pocket trumpets will compare with Kanstul, Taylor and so forth. They aren't in the same league and they aren't in the same price range either. They are not the same! I suspect the better workmanship and intonation of the more expensive makers make the pocket trumpet a more serious contender.

I play a cheap pocket trumpet for its "novelty effect" on occasion, but I'm sure anyone in the audience who a good musician will sense the intonation will be found wanting. I don't stack it up to the other horns I have. It's good for a smile or laugh from the audience, but I suspect the poor intonation doesn't go unnoticed even by non-musicians unless they are tone deaf. Maybe that is all your are planning to use a pocket trumpet for. If so, look for the best of the cheaper pocket trumpets.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Wes Clarke
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The intonation and sound of the Jupiter pockets that I had tried were on the cheap side.

Quote:
That was my experience exactly. Trying to play a simple scale, the Jupiter was all over the place.

Any time I'm playing a new horn, but especially one that I am considering to purchase, I play scales. When I played the pocket trumpets at WMC I didn't have a tuner with me, but playing through the major scales was instructive. The Kanstul's intonation was very nice through all of them with only the usual adjustments. Not so for the others.

Snapper
Troy Bilt
Poulan
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Carol Pocket trumpet and it was fantastic. I sold it as I am playing more cornet now. That's another option. I picked up a King Silvertone from the 30's yesterday on ebay for $465. You can get amazing deals on tremendous cornets.

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
KanstulBrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a player who is serious about a performance-quality travel trumpet, the Kanstul Model 905 is an excellent choice. The Kanstul has a one piece hand-hammered bell equivalent to a 5X, with a 4˝" diameter, giving it a full rich sound with excellent intonation. It is built around a .460" bore professional valve section, and has an open blow and excellent response. It has a first slide saddle and third slide ring - features expected on professional instruments. This is no novelty horn, and the great Don Cherry played a Kanstul pocket trumpet in his later years.

regards,

(Kanstul, Shires, BAC, Benge)
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pocket trumpets looks so darn cute! Yet, the majority of them do not play all that well. You'll struggle with intonation and sound unless you're ready to move into the higher end in terms of pricing.

Now some folks want these to take on the road for practicing in their hotel rooms. And in many cases, your practice mute won't fit these small bells. Wayne Bergeron says he has a pocket trumpet for warming up in the car while he's driving to gigs. (Must sound like a police siren at times!)

If you just want to have a practice horn for practicing, then pick up a cornet instead. The Olds Ambassador cornets are bargains. Cheap and virtually indestructible. Easily carried on planes. (Take the advice of Trent Austin--good to great vintage cornets are available at affordable prices.)

If the pocket trumpet is for performing, then understand that you'll get what you pay for.
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebelatheart wrote:
Stop the press. If price is an issue, DO NOT overlook the Van Cleave pocket which is available from Dillon's for under $400. I've never played one of the high dollar horns (Kanstul, Benge), but I can say that the Van Cleave is head and shoulders above the Jupiter, which many people recommend.

For sure! I just sold one on ebay, it was by far the sweetest pocket trumpet for the money I'd ever encountered. If only I was hiking the Appalachian trail sometime soon I would have kept it...
Rick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be putting my fourth generation Carol in the marketplace soon. Check if you're interested or pm.

--Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: