• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece for doubling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrJackson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: mouthpiece for doubling Reply with quote

good morning

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good mouthpiece for doubling on trombone that isnt too far removed from my 1.5 C. Ideally, Im looking for something with that rim that will fit in a trombone, but I realize that's not possible....or is it? Ive looked around the mouthpiece forum and havnt found anything. I'm not one who can easily switch back and forth between trombone and trumpet, even with a few moments of rest in between, and for some reason when I play Horn it totally dismantles my chops the next day. I'd like to be able to improve my trombone playing for both gigging and teaching, but Im not willing to sacrifice my trumpet practicing for it. Even playing bone at the end of the day when Im finished my trumpet practice leaves my chops feeling funky the next day. Are there any brands or custom shops that can fit a trumpet rim to a trombone shank? Im a crazy/stupid to think it'll even work?
Any feedback is appreciated
Schilke P5-4 B/G
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That topic came up twice two months ago...

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86511&highlight=

and

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=85706&highlight=
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: mouthpiece for doubling Reply with quote

MrJackson wrote:
good morning

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good mouthpiece for doubling on trombone that isnt too far removed from my 1.5 C. Ideally, Im looking for something with that rim that will fit in a trombone, but I realize that's not possible....or is it? Ive looked around the mouthpiece forum and havnt found anything. I'm not one who can easily switch back and forth between trombone and trumpet, even with a few moments of rest in between, and for some reason when I play Horn it totally dismantles my chops the next day. I'd like to be able to improve my trombone playing for both gigging and teaching, but Im not willing to sacrifice my trumpet practicing for it. Even playing bone at the end of the day when Im finished my trumpet practice leaves my chops feeling funky the next day. Are there any brands or custom shops that can fit a trumpet rim to a trombone shank? Im a crazy/stupid to think it'll even work?
Any feedback is appreciated

Mr. Jackson,
With all due respect, the best thing to do (and least expensive) is to put in some time developing your embouchure on the trombone, then that puffy feeling when you switch back to trumpet will go away. Practicing long tones on both instruments will do the trick. It just takes a couple of weeks of steady practice to accomplish this. I double on valve trombone and slide trombone and have experienced that puffy feeling when switching back to trumpet , but with practice it will vanish.
If you don't want to do that , I believe that Schilke makes a small T-Bone mouthpiece for doubling. Hope this helps.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably on at least one of those topics, saying something like you have to develop a separate embouchure for the trombone. It takes time, just like it took time to get your trumpet groove. You have to use a regular trombone mouthpiece, and you have to practice. It helps if you have somewhere to play on a regular basis. If you try to use a 1-1/2C on trombone, you sound like you're using a 1-1/2C on trombone! If you are maintaining a trombone embouchure, it's not a problem switching between bone and trumpet. I do it sometimes in the same tune.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: