• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

piccolo mouthpieces

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShasUi

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: piccolo mouthpieces Reply with quote

I am getting into piccolo trumpets now for solo and brass quintet works. I was wondering what kind of mouthpiece would you recommend for this.
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/specshub/piccolo_mpc_guide.html
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
L.A.Trpt

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the most common are the Bach 7E and Schilke 11Ax.

Personally, I'm partial to the Schilke 11Ax, but it's very much a matter of subjective preference among these and many other good choices.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that sort of work, unless you really want/need to be "cutting", I would suggest something Schilke but with a "B" cup, or similar from Curry or others. I personally find the Schilke A and Bach E cups a bit too bright and piercing for me... Mark Curry is awesome and can send you a few to try out to dial it in.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Piccolo Mouthpieces Reply with quote

Hello all,
I played on a 11Ax for many years, now a 11Bx. I feel that it gives me a warmer tone. My friend plays a Bach 10.5C on his. Two opinions
Roy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW the Laskey "picc" mouthpiece works for me.

Roy Griffin
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the specific piccolo you play. Bigger bores like the Schilke and the Yamaha long bell will require a different approach than peashooters like the Selmer or Bach pics. I played a Getzen Eterna (.420" bore)piccolo for ten years, and found the most success on mouthpieces that were not too much unlike what I used on my Bb and C trumpets. Sometimes I used a shallower cup, but tried to keep the rim the same. Early on I tried to use lead-type mouthpieces like the 14A4a, but I got the best results with middle-of-the road pieces in the Bach 3C/Schilke 14-15 range.

When you test a mouthpiece on piccolo, more than anything you need to check and see if the octaves are in tune. Any problems that a mouthpiece causes on a standard trumpet are magnified like crazy on the pic. Once you find a comfortable cup it's a matter of finding the right backbore--too tight and you'll have flat high notes, too open and you'll be sharp.

Good luck and have fun on your safari--the ultimate combination for you is out there, and the more informed you can be going in, the less frustrating it will be.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrestled with this for a while myself a few years back. I always used a piccolo mouthpiece that was the same size as my Bb and C trumpet mp; a 1.25C. Then I got to thinking about the fact that I am working way to hard. So I began the quest to find a piccolo mp. I tried Curry's, Blacks, and Bach's. All very fine mouthpiece but I found the Bach 7DW to work best for me. I found the tone to be a bit bright so I had one made up in a monette configuration with the 7DW and a 117 backbore (kanstul did the work for me). I love it!

I suggest doing some experimenting and trying to find something that works for you. I tried about 8 or so mp's before I found this one. It can get pricey, but most of the dealers like Dillons etc will allow you to have a trial period. Best of luck, Neil
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will depend somewhat on your regular mouthpiece (Bb/C). I like something slightly smaller in rim diameter for the piccolo trumpet. The best combination I have found is the schilke B4X adapated to a reasonable rim. For me I play a 17 diameter on Bb/C/Eb and a 14 on the piccolo.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
...I personally find the Schilke A and Bach E cups a bit too bright and piercing for me...

FWIW, the A cup on the Schilke 11A is not all that shallow, not like on the 13A or 14A. I use a trumpet mouthpiece with my Selmer and have found the 11A to be a nice match, much better than the Bach 7DW or 7EW that I used to use. I also use a trumpet 11Ax that seems a tad less bright than the straight 11A.

For me, the 11A has a nice, somewhat bright sound without being too strident - crisp and clean and no caffeine!

-- Joe
robertgrier
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Stork picc mpcs. Iplay their 7P on my Selmer picc. and I do a lot of picc. playing.
www.bobgriermusic.com
bgrierjr@triad.rr.com
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think asking this question about piccolo mouthpieces is similar to asking questions about Bb mouthpieces: what works for one might not work for another.

I think you're going to have to try some. Try starting with a Bach or a Schilke because they work for many and are fairly inexpensive.

FWIW: a GR 64 P works great for me on a Schilke P5-4. My teacher sounds great using a Bach 7E on a Schilke P5-4.
trumphat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first pic mpc. I used was a Schilke 11B that I played on my Selmer 4 valve - horn and mpc. were stolen about 6 years ago. Got a Yamaha small 4 valve as a replacement and started out with a Yamaha 7A4 heavy top. I also played a Bach 7D and 7E. About a month ago I tried a Kelly Screamer that I have used occasionally for lead work in the pic. The plastic takes the edge off the pic and the feel and response are very good. I also like the balance of the horn better with the plastic mpc. The comments on the sound are all favorable. Try it - you'll be surprised.
robertgrier
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly mpc come stock with a #24 throat. The other mpcs come stock with a #27 throat. I've found that the larger throats work very well on picc.
www.bobgriermusic.com
bgrierjr@triad.rr.com
schalltrichterauf
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piccolo playing is such an individualized task, taking advice from others is of limited value. It's best to try a bunch and choose what works best for you and your particular horn.

If you have the time and money, my own recommendation would be to have a session with a GR consultant -- this way you'll have a pro who can help you try a large number of mouthpieces and quickly narrow the field to the one that works best for you.

Horns: Bach CL 239 w/Melk pipe, Schagerl C Hörsdorf Heavy, Bach Bb 72/43, L.A. Benge 3X, Melk/Bach E-flat/D w/239 bells, Schilke P5-4 picc, Chinese trumpet with scary-faced bell.
Teachers: Alvin Lowrey, Irving Sarin, Robert Nagel
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schalltrichterauf wrote:
Piccolo playing is such an individualized task, taking advice from others is of limited value. It's best to try a bunch and choose what works best for you and your particular horn.

I completely agree with David.
It depends on the instrument and the player.
Many prefer to play on a similar mouthpiece to their Bb/C one, some play something completely different.
Maybe this should be the very first step to investigate: do you want something similar in rim size & shape, or would you be better off with something completely different?

FWIW,
On my C/Bb trumpets I use 1B or 1C mouthpieces with a large 22/24 backbore/throat.
My piccolo mouthpiece is quite the opposite: a much smaller Bach 7DW-117 with a very round & wide rim and a piccolo throat. For ultra high stuff I use a 7EW-117. I occasionally used to play on a Marcinkiecz 7PD too. For me these m.pieces work really well and I can swap quickly between C/Bb- and piccolo trumpet without any problems.

But don't copy us, just try what works for you.
It might take some time before you've found it, though.
Good luck searching!

MvW.
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
FWIW,
On my C/Bb trumpets I use 1B or 1C mouthpieces with a large 22/24 backbore/throat.
My piccolo mouthpiece is quite the opposite: a much smaller Bach 7DW-117 with a very round & wide rim and a piccolo throat. For ultra high stuff I use a 7EW-117. I occasionally used to play on a Marcinkiecz 7PD too. For me these m.pieces work really well and I can swap quickly between C/Bb- and piccolo trumpet without any problems.

On the other hand...

Charles Schlueter used a Monette 1-1 series on his piccolo. Same huge rim and same huge cup volume of his big trumpets mouthpiece.

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
FWIW,

On the other hand...

Charles Schlueter used a Monette 1-1 series on his piccolo. Same huge rim and same huge cup volume of his big trumpets mouthpiece.

Yeah exactly; that's what I meant to say in the beginning of my previous post, there's no rule here.
Some play a similar m.piece, others play something completely different to their ordinary m.piece...
You'd have to try what works for you, without looking to much at what other players use.
Without knowing you, that's the ONLY scarce advise I'd like to give you on a forum.

However,
visiting a competent GR consultant like David mentioned, seems like a very good idea to me.
I particularly liked reading this recent thread on how they work:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=87094

MvW.
L.A.Trpt

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My piccolo mouthpiece is quite the opposite: a much smaller Bach 7DW-117 with a very round & wide rim and a piccolo throat.
MvW.

Maarten,

Great advice, as always.

BTW, what's a "piccolo throat"?
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L.A.Trpt wrote:
BTW, what's a "piccolo throat"?

Oops, my bad!
I meant to refer to the 117 Bach piccolo backbore.
(It's shaped differently and helps, especially pitch wise, in the top register.)

MvW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: